Rob Bell church moments away from embracing gay marriage

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Rob Bell church moments away from embracing gay marriage

Post by B. W. »

Read it to believe it...

...Sign of the times

http://www.charismanews.com/culture/483 ... y-marriage
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Rob Bell church moments away from embracing gay marriage

Post by RickD »

Ok, I'll ask the obvious question. Who is Rob Bell, and why should we give a rat's asp what he says?

This quote is a doozy though:
He adds that the church is built on community and adhering to Scriptures is "irrelevant."
I wonder if he thinks following all of scripture is irrelevant, or just the parts that aren't politically correct. y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:Ok, I'll ask the obvious question. Who is Rob Bell, and why should we give a rat's asp what he says?

This quote is a doozy though:
He adds that the church is built on community and adhering to Scriptures is "irrelevant."
I wonder if he thinks following all of scripture is irrelevant, or just the parts that aren't politically correct. y:-?
He made the Pneuma video series and is popular on college campus' so yes, he poses a danger to minds filled with progressive Marxist mush...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Rob »

Rob Bell is one of the "Emergent" church crowd. See Elliott Nesch's film "The Real Roots of the Emergent Church" for plenty of information on this man and other emergent leaders like Brian Mclaren.

Liberalism at its finest.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

It's "emerging" alright! Rob's ship begin to sink very quickly after he wrote his book, "Love Wins," in which he pretty much makes a case for universalism. Divine judgement and a real Hell are things that he just can't accept. He's also shown he's now embracing gay marriage - no shock there. Bell views the Bible like Obama views the constitution: It can mean anything you want it to. But does it?!!! But that's not the question he asks. He wants to believe something and then attempts to cherrypick Scripture - or HIS spin on Scripture - to support it.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

I have to say that I read his book Love Wins and it was one of the books that brought me closer to God, so for me, it was a very good book, even if I don`t agree with everything he wrote. I think his overriding message was that God is love and that faith is about love for God.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

God can use anything. Even heresy.

Bell has a very low view of scripture. He uses Matthew 18:18 to show that we are allowed to reinterpret scripture to however we like and Heaven will change to match to our new rendering. Of course, that makes one with a high view of scripture and an understanding of the importance of context break out in hives.

Truth without love is brutality, but love without truth is heresy. Always speak the truth, but in love.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Sweet!

Cough...
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

And can the guy in the big, white hat be far behind Rob? https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gay-catholic- ... 06499.html It's just a matter of time - remember, he can write new doctrine as if from God Himself.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:And can the guy in the big, white hat be far behind Rob? https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gay-catholic- ... 06499.html It's just a matter of time - remember, he can write new doctrine as if from God Himself.
After reading that article, and only being able to see what is said in the article, I really don't see a problem with what was said. Of course my opinion is based only on the article, without knowing any more details.

The two main points I got, were:

1) there's no indication that the Catholic Church's view on homosexual sins is going to change.

And

2) the Catholic Church is trying to be more inclusive. Which all Christian churches should be. There's a difference between being inclusive of homosexuals, and condoning homosexual behavior.

IMO.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: There's a difference between being inclusive of homosexuals, and condoning homosexual behavior.
Absolutely!

But look, the reception of this group sends an important sign. The Pope declaring homosexual unions moral may not happen overnight, but Francis has made a lot of very curious statements concerning homosexuality. He won't call homosexual sexual activities sin - that says a lot. And in speaking of this issue, he has said that the Traditionalists "risk a temptation of 'hostile inflexibility."

Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of NY, says the Pope has said that the issue of gay marriage should be studied and not dismissed out-of-hand (now what might THAT mean?). He also said Pope Francis had told him: “Rather than quickly condemn them (gays), let's just ask the questions as to why that has appealed to certain people." Dolan said the Pope wanted Church leaders to “look into” the issue (of gay marriage) and to scrutinize the reasons why many countries have legalized same-sex marriages.

In an interview with Corriere della Sera, a leading Italian daily, the Pope was quoted as having said that countries around the world have been “normalizing different arrangements of cohabitation” and that “we must consider different cases and evaluate each particular case.”

Stay tuned:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Rick: There's a difference between being inclusive of homosexuals, and condoning homosexual behavior.
Absolutely!

But look, the reception of this group sends an important sign. The Pope declaring homosexual unions moral may not happen overnight, but Francis has made a lot of very curious statements concerning homosexuality. He won't call homosexual sexual activities sin - that says a lot. And in speaking of this issue, he has said that the Traditionalists "risk a temptation of 'hostile inflexibility."

Cardinal Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of NY, the Pope has said that the issue of gay marriage should be studied and not dismissed out-of-hand (now what might THAT mean?). He also said Pope Francis had told him: “Rather than quickly condemn them (gays), let's just ask the questions as to why that has appealed to certain people." Dolan said the Pope wanted Church leaders to “look into” the issue (of gay marriage) and to scrutinize the reasons why many countries have legalized same-sex marriages.

In an interview with Corriere della Sera, a leading Italian daily, the Pope was quoted as having said that countries around the world have been “normalizing different arrangements of cohabitation” and that “we must consider different cases and evaluate each particular case.”

Stay tuned:
I don't know, but it sounds to me like they are trying to present themselves as more open to discussion. Not necessarily open to changing their minds on what they believe is wrong.

I could be wrong, and the Catholic Church may start accepting homosexual unions. But I doubt it. I guess only time will tell.

-Edward R Murrow