First direct evidence for inflation

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: First direct evidence for inflation

Post by Byblos »

Listening to that though Byblos - it does seem that your idea that we are living in the first universe is more feasible as the decay get more an more disordered as the space continues to expand.
It does, doesn't it. Keep in mind that to have uniformity, the value of lambda has to be as close to 1 as possible, as is the case in our universe. The thing is, with subsequent universes the value shifts away from 1 so any other universe will be less uniform than ours. It's really a matter of mathematics.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Byblos wrote:
Listening to that though Byblos - it does seem that your idea that we are living in the first universe is more feasible as the decay get more an more disordered as the space continues to expand.
It does, doesn't it. Keep in mind that to have uniformity, the value of lambda has to be as close to 1 as possible, as is the case in our universe. The thing is, with subsequent universes the value shifts away from 1 so any other universe will be less uniform than ours. It's really a matter of mathematics.
Let me know if you see anything that confirms that idea Byblos. If you are right then it could well be that God is maybe preparing a multitude of other universes for us that will keep us occupied when we gain immortality with a our glorified bodies.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Byblos

You stated here
Let's talk about the inflationary model first, what is it and what does it predict. According to Alan Guth, the father of the inflationary model, inflation is what put the bang in the big bang. It describes the prequel to the big bang. The theory postulates that repulsive gravity caused the initial conditions of the universe to expand with extreme velocity, on the order of 100 times faster than the speed of light. When repulsive gravity reaches its half life, it causes a bang, and poof a universe pops out. But because of the speed, this process doesn't stop, it repeats itself eternally, albeit with each half-life cycle being less frequent.
Forgive me for what might be a stupid question but how does each half life get less frequent? Can't get my head around that. Half life of what exactly?

Also if it is getting less frequent then surely by definition there will only be a limited amount of universes because the amount of time between each decay will eventually be eternal in a eternal inflation.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Also having read this link:
What I still don't really understand is - Did inflation happen after the big bang - or is inflation something that is happening and still happening outside out universe and the big bang was just the perception of our own universe starting due to a decay in the false vacuum?
Thadeyus
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Thadeyus »

Silvertusk wrote:Forgive me for what might be a stupid question but how does each half life get less frequent? Can't get my head around that. Half life of what exactly?
Okay....Basically say you have a large lump of Uranium (1Kg). After a certain amount of time, half of the atoms of said lump will fission (Lose atomic parts of the atoms) DOWN into a different element.

(Am between finishing work and getting ready for bed, so ave time constraints in doing a web search for the list of things Uranium decays through)

Again, after another length of the same amount of time. The 0.5 Kg lump of Uranium will again fission.

This is what is a quick and simple, lay-man's understanding of what is meant by the "Half life" of atomic elements.

Much cheers to all.
Silvertusk wrote: - Did inflation happen after the big bang -
From what I understand of reading magazines such as 'New Scientist'? Yes.
Silvertusk wrote: - Is inflation something that is happening and still happening outside out universe -
Not sure if any one knows what is happening 'Outside' our Universe. The inflation WAS the Universe expanding at an accelerated rate. Again, as far as I think I understand the magazine's words.

Much cheers to all.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Looks like the smoking gun might be dust after all...

http://www.nature.com/news/no-evidence- ... es-1.15322
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Thanks for the info.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

A Huffington Post article on the multi-verse.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Just to add to the last couple of articles posted on the likelihood that these scientists jumped the gun:

http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-breakthr ... 35743.html

Apparently another group working with the European Space Agency's Planck telescope will be publishing its results in the coming months. Should make for an interesting discussion (if they find anything; and if they don't?).
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Jac3510 wrote:Just to add to the last couple of articles posted on the likelihood that these scientists jumped the gun:

http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-breakthr ... 35743.html

Apparently another group working with the European Space Agency's Planck telescope will be publishing its results in the coming months. Should make for an interesting discussion (if they find anything; and if they don't?).
I agree with the article in that they should be more careful with announcements.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart