Surgery

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Seeker
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Surgery

Post by Seeker »

I am a 15 year old highschool student and soon I will be having surgery on a hernia. I am scared. I just have a very strong feeling I am not going to wake up. I have had a feeling for about 2 years that I am going to die soon and i know this is it. I am mainly scared because I am not fully convinced of the existence of God and heaven.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Surgery

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Relax. My son had surgery on a hernia when he was about your age. He is still alive 18 years later.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hi Seeker, I had the same feelings you are having now when I first had surgery.

The thought of being put to sleep and not knowing what was happening or whether I would wake up again scared me to death, I also thought I was going to die young.

Put you trust in Jesus and fear not for he is with you, don't worry about losing control of your life because Christ is at the helm.

Praying for you brother.

Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

My cuzn had hernia operated and he came out fine. It is not life threatening. You will do good. :)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Seeker wrote:I am a 15 year old highschool student and soon I will be having surgery on a hernia. I am scared. I just have a very strong feeling I am not going to wake up. I have had a feeling for about 2 years that I am going to die soon and i know this is it. I am mainly scared because I am not fully convinced of the existence of God and heaven.
Not to sugar coat this but living in our physical bodies and staying alive in this world is a battle that we will all eventually lose.. Our days are numbered and you will always encounter strife in this physical life.. Our only hope is in Christ.

Once you realize this, you will find your peace.. y@};-
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Good luck Seeker, praying for you.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Gman wrote:
Seeker wrote:I am a 15 year old highschool student and soon I will be having surgery on a hernia. I am scared. I just have a very strong feeling I am not going to wake up. I have had a feeling for about 2 years that I am going to die soon and i know this is it. I am mainly scared because I am not fully convinced of the existence of God and heaven.
Not to sugar coat this but living in our physical bodies and staying alive in this world is a battle that we will all eventually lose.. Our days are numbered and you will always encounter strife in this physical life.. Our only hope is in Christ.

Once you realize this, you will find your peace.. y@};-
Just a small thing, while I agree with you 100%, I think this is the wrong time to say this to him. Lets just encourage him for now because people come out of hernia operations, fine, all the time. He's just 15 and its natural for him to be a little scared.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

You should not worry too much. Fixing hernias is one of the most common surgeries performed by doctors, and I have never heard of one going badly from anyone I know. My younger brother had a hernia when he was 10 or so years old and was perfectly fine. I had a non-typical hernia when I was around 12. They had to fix mine twice, but all I have a decade later are a couple barely-noticeable scars. After both surgeries I felt normal and was back to my everyday life son after.

and like the others have said, it's natural to be a little nervous anytime you have to have surgery. Just remember that bad things happening during surgery (especially for someone young and in good health) is extremely rare in the United States and hernias are very simple things to fix.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

neo-x wrote:
Just a small thing, while I agree with you 100%, I think this is the wrong time to say this to him. Lets just encourage him for now because people come out of hernia operations, fine, all the time. He's just 15 and its natural for him to be a little scared.
I don't think it's bad to tell someone, whatever the age, the truth.. I wish someone would have told me these things before so that I wouldn't sell out to this world. It's a common theme in the Bible to face tribulation John 16:33.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
ChristianScientistAnn
Recognized Member

Post by ChristianScientistAnn »

"I have had a feeling for about 2 years that I am going to die soon and i know this is it."
It may be helpful to think of this thought as a pushy mental suggestion, which you have the option and power to reject. Not every thought that we think needs to be cherished as belonging to us.
Good for you for reaching out for answers in such an intelligent and constructive way, and for writing your ideas out so clearly. This shows a lot of promise!