The Passion of the Christ

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Passion of the Christ

Post by RickD »

I just got finished watching The Passion for the first time. I guess I'm surprised that I was underwhelmed. Did anyone else feel a little disappointed after all the hype?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Passion of the Christ

Post by jlay »

Uh, no.

Of course, saw it for the first time on the big screen. But couldn't talk for about 30 minutes afterwards.
Watching the 2nd time I was more inclined to notice some of the artistic liberties Mel took.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

I enjoyed it. But not because of the gore and violence. Thought it was a very powerful message of what Jesus went through on his last days.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I have always boycotted the movie because of Gibson's anti-semitism.

FL
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

It sure has been effective. :pound:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

I, like Rick, was considerably underwhelmed. The film did have an impact on many, despite Mr. Gibson's shortcomings and my personal apathy towards the film.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think that for many, it was an eye opener of sorts in regards to the degree of suffering that Jesus went through.
It wasn't a few scratches and bruises and minor bleeding as is typically depicted in most movies.
A crucifixion could last days and that Christ died in less than 3 hours shows the degree of trauma he was in BEFORE the crucifixion.
That he willingly went through all that for us makes a statement about His love for us that words can never do justice.
It is important to mediate on the fact that the Son of God gave up being God and became flesh and went through all that for US and because He loved Us.
Imagine giving up being in a perfect union of love, far beyond our ability to truly understand, giving that up to be human and to suffer and the most horrific way possible because you love so much and because you know that the only way people, the only way humans can truly understand HOW MUCH you love them, is to not just die for them, but to SUFFER for them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:I think that for many, it was an eye opener of sorts in regards to the degree of suffering that Jesus went through.
It wasn't a few scratches and bruises and minor bleeding as is typically depicted in most movies.
A crucifixion could last days and that Christ died in less than 3 hours shows the degree of trauma he was in BEFORE the crucifixion.
That he willingly went through all that for us makes a statement about His love for us that words can never do justice.
It is important to mediate on the fact that the Son of God gave up being God and became flesh and went through all that for US and because He loved Us.
Imagine giving up being in a perfect union of love, far beyond our ability to truly understand, giving that up to be human and to suffer and the most horrific way possible because you love so much and because you know that the only way people, the only way humans can truly understand HOW MUCH you love them, is to not just die for them, but to SUFFER for them.
Paul, I didn't mean Christ's work was underwhelming. I just meant the movie. Just the movie. y#-o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I think that for many, it was an eye opener of sorts in regards to the degree of suffering that Jesus went through.
Paul, I didn't mean Christ's work was underwhelming. I just meant the movie. Just the movie. y#-o
Yes, that was clear.
What I meant is that for some people, to see the sheer magnitude of pain and suffering was, to them, a huge eyeopener.
In THAT regard, the "excessiveness" of the movie served a purpose.
My wife to this day can't see it without baling her eyes out and even hyperventilating and not because of the actual graphic nature but because He went through such a horrific experience.
Rob
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Rob »

I really like the movie. I watched it with some friends on Saturday night who had never seen it.
It was real quiet afterwards.