I am not like them

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

I am not like them

Post by 1over137 »

One my atheist friend watched news about Belfast, how people set fires and so. It was like he was trying to point something. I replied him this: I am not like them.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: I am not like them

Post by Beanybag »

The Irish to crazy things because they're Irish, not because they're religious. Or maybe it's both. I don't know. If he was insinuating you were like them, that's pretty insulting though. Clearly you don't want to kill people.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

He was insinuating that religious people are crazy fanatics probably.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Beanybag
Valued Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Beanybag »

1over137 wrote:He was insinuating that religious people are crazy fanatics probably.
Some are, most aren't.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by Ivellious »

The Irish have a LONG history of religious strife and conflict over religion. Is it a reflection on religion or Christianity as a whole? No, but it would be ignorant to say that most if not all of the major conflicts/issues in Ireland have been rooted in religion.
Reactionary
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Reactionary »

Religion is still considered by many to be a part of a person's cultural identification. For instance in the Balkans - if you're Catholic, it is assumed that you're Croatian, if you're Eastern Orthodox, it's assumed that you're Serbian, or if you're Muslim, it's assumed that you're Bosnian. That's why some think that the cause of the war that took place when Yugoslavia broke up was caused by religion, which is false.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Reactionary wrote:Religion is still considered by many to be a part of a person's cultural identification. For instance in the Balkans - if you're Catholic, it is assumed that you're Croatian, if you're Eastern Orthodox, it's assumed that you're Serbian, or if you're Muslim, it's assumed that you're Bosnian. That's why some think that the cause of the war that took place when Yugoslavia broke up was caused by religion, which is false.
What was it then, if not religious? How is the ethnic cleansing explained other than through a religious prism? I'm asking as I really know next to thing about the cause of the war so my views are essentially (mis)shaped by what I've heard on CNN at the time.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Icthus
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Icthus »

Byblos wrote:
Reactionary wrote:Religion is still considered by many to be a part of a person's cultural identification. For instance in the Balkans - if you're Catholic, it is assumed that you're Croatian, if you're Eastern Orthodox, it's assumed that you're Serbian, or if you're Muslim, it's assumed that you're Bosnian. That's why some think that the cause of the war that took place when Yugoslavia broke up was caused by religion, which is false.
What was it then, if not religious? How is the ethnic cleansing explained other than through a religious prism? I'm asking as I really know next to thing about the cause of the war so my views are essentially (mis)shaped by what I've heard on CNN at the time.
I assume he means that it is more an issue of nationalism/ethnicity than religion. Usually, when a conflict arises between two groups that practice different religions, there are political and economic factors that are the primary cause. That's at least what I was going to point out, anyways. Ireland is a good example. There is a lot of religious strife, but it is driven largely by a history of political conflict.
“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.” -G.K. Chesterton
Reactionary
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Reactionary »

Byblos wrote:
Nationalism. Yugoslavia consisted of six nations, and although they're all south Slavic, there are notable cultural differences, and religion is one of them. Yugoslavia was being kept alive by suppressing nationalism, which caused tension. When the first desires to secede came up, the question raised was how to regulate those new countries: the most significant issue was that borders between republics weren't also ethnic borders. This was especially true for Bosnia - as seen on this map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... s_1991.GIF

Territorial claims of different nations overlapped with each other, and so a conflict ensued. As Ichtus said, political and economic factors were key, religious strife was just a symptom.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I think we have to be careful of attributing causality to one factor just because of a correlation. Many times its just a matter of national identity and creating an us vs. them rather than an actual conflict over ideas. Look at football (soccer) in other countries. It becomes part of a person's identity, there's huge strife over it. Is it "because" of soccer that people fight and kill each other? In some ways maybe yes, in other ways no.

Or take another example, Catholicism in art. I'm a bit of a movie junkie. Take almost any movie director who was raised Catholic. There will be Catholic imagery and ideas in his film. It doesn't even matter whether he's practicing, nominal, or vehemently anti-religious. You can see the influence of Catholicism on his films. More than one person (including the critic Roger Ebert) have said the same thing.

So some of the history of religious strife, the vast majority of it has nothing directly to do with, say, the level of importance one puts on baptism. I don't believe that for one second, I believe its mostly political conflict.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Callisto
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Callisto »

So why were they burning things in Belfast? Did they lose in soccer/football? :P

You could always point to the book-burnings perpetrated by the anti-Christian Nazis, or the "Cultural Revolution" that purged China of all that it held dear brought by the atheistic, self-worshipping Mao. There are countless examples. Of course your atheistic friend will probably deny that it was a result of his/her worldview, and that "religion did it". But we all know the true reality of what fuels strife and hatred in the world.