Physicists find new particle

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Physicists find new particle

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Reactionary
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Physicists find new particle

Post by Reactionary »

Whenever I (attempt to) read such an article, I lose self-confidence regarding my intelligence... :oops:

So, what if they "discover" this particle? What will that mean to an average person who doesn't deal with physics? :D
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Reactionary wrote: So, what if they "discover" this particle? What will that mean to an average person who doesn't deal with physics?
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmi ... ggs-boson/

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

from http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

"Looking far ahead into the future, the Higgs boson could help scientists unlock the secrets of mass itself, said Steven Nahn, an associate professor of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“Think about 100 years ago,” he said. “One hundred years ago, we couldn’t control the electron. Now I can talk to you on something the size of a credit card from miles away. Imagine what you could do if you could control mass like that. That’s science fiction right now, but so was electrodynamics.”

“There’s no killer app for what we could do with the Higgs boson in our hands right now,” Nahn said. “But there’s a lot of potential there.”
"

#foreverinmyheart
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Thanks.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Callisto
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Callisto »

I suspect Reasons To Believe will update with something more as the week goes on, but here's what they've got so far: http://www.reasons.org/articles/the-hig ... onexistent

I'd also make a guess that others will say something about it.
twinc
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by twinc »

Reactionary wrote:Whenever I (attempt to) read such an article, I lose self-confidence regarding my intelligence... :oops:

So, what if they "discover" this particle? What will that mean to an average person who doesn't deal with physics? :D
perhaps you may care to refer to my recent topic 'Humpty Dumpty Science" - twinc
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

twinc, are you suggesting that particle physics is a lie?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Breaking News: CMS detector observed a new boson with a mass of 125.3 ± 0.6 GeV at 4.9 σ significance !

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

28 years of hard work, 1984 - first workshop on LHC,
am gonna celebrate

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:Breaking News: CMS detector observed a new boson with a mass of 125.3 ± 0.6 GeV at 4.9 σ significance !
Unbelievable news! This is incredible! The significance of this find is extraordinary!

I have absolutely no idea what this means. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Science has been looking for the "holy grail" of creation for some time and some believe that this "god particle" can be it.
IF it even exists of course.
In short, IF this particle is "eternal" and self-existing and self replicating, it would mean that IT was the cause of life existing in the universe, the cause of the universe really.
No need for God.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
1over137 wrote:Breaking News: CMS detector observed a new boson with a mass of 125.3 ± 0.6 GeV at 4.9 σ significance !
Unbelievable news! This is incredible! The significance of this find is extraordinary!
I have absolutely no idea what this means. :pound:
It means that the probability of the existence of the new particle is more than 99.9% and that it is not just some background fluctuaction, meaning it is not some accident. 5σ is a border over which scientists claim a real discovery. A 5-sigma event has a 99.99994 percent chance of being correct.
Last edited by 1over137 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:Science has been looking for the "holy grail" of creation for some time and some believe that this "god particle" can be it.
In short, IF this particle is "eternal" and self-existing and self replicating, it would mean that IT was the cause of life existing in the universe, the cause of the universe really.
No need for God.
Some people believe this?

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Science has been looking for the "holy grail" of creation for some time and some believe that this "god particle" can be it.
No need for God.
Some people believe this?
Some people WANT to believe it.
Recall that when the "big bang" theory was proposed, it was met with agressive denial because it led to the conclusion that SOMETHING caused the universe to happen, something OUTSIDE time and space as we know it since time and space didn't exist until the universe came to be.
When it was proven that the universe had a beginning, many theories tried to show that just because it had a beginning, didn't mean that it had a cause ( the multiple universe theory, the reoccurring universe theory, etc), all to make sure that the "God hypothesis" was never a factor.
Now, IF we have a particle that seems to have always existed ( since it doesn't need anything to make it exist - self-existing) then, IF this particle can cause energy and "life" to "happen", then there is no reason to think that it would NOT have eventually caused the "big bang".
Many IF's of course and many theories and no evidence ( much less proof), but....IF....