My issue with religon

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: My issue with religon

Post by PaulSacramento »

They do good works because of their love, not because they are commanded to.
That is God's grace through Christ.
We do not do what is right because we have to or because we fear God, we do not do what is right because we are commanded to or want to show how better we are from others or to earn salvation.
The very INTENT behind what we do IS OUR JUDGE !
If we live out of love, FOR LOVE, then BY LOVE we will be judged.
We are compelled to speak of Christ and of God and do love and care for others out of LOVE, the loves that Christ and God give Us through the HS.
We do not ask for recompense or to be known ( when you give, make it so that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing), we don't pray or try to be righteous for others to see and comment on ( for when you pray, do it where no one sees you).
We do all for love of Christ and out of Love for Christ.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
We do not do what is right because we have to or because we fear God, we do not do what is right because we are commanded to or want to show how better we are from others or to earn salvation.
We are compelled to speak of Christ and of God and do love and care for others out of LOVE, the loves that Christ and God give Us through the HS.
We do not ask for recompense or to be known ( when you give, make it so that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing), we don't pray or try to be righteous for others to see and comment on ( for when you pray, do it where no one sees you).
:amen:
and, by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Indeed Rick, indeed :)
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Blood wrote:#1- Betterment of self, solid in faith, not perfect, but striving to follow Christ with all their heart mind and soul, THEN try to convert, and spread Christs love around so it can be seen in their lives by those they seek to convert

#2- Love Jesus with a burning passion and put moral betterment in the back seat whilst trying to share this immense love with others.

#3- Seek to know Christ with all their strength,mind and soul, Seek to love him- "", then seek to get to know others closely, love them deeply, then try to share the gospel with them slowly over time

#4 : Seek to know Christ with all their strength,mind and soul, Seek to love him, then show their immense love of Christ through love of others through good works, caring, loving and kindness.
Number two is a contradiction and logically impossible.

#3 is called relationship evangelism. It certainly has its place, but is not an excuse for not sharing Christ with others. For example, if I see you walking into oncoming traffic, what kind of person would I be if I thought, "Well, I'd like to warn him, but I don't know him that well. Perhaps I should only warn people I have a close friendship with." You'd say, "You are a demented sociopath!!"

Regarding #4. Let me ask you, is it possible that an act of benevolence could be offensive to the person receiving it?
You see the problem is that Christ, who was the embodiment of grace and good, was arrested and crucified for his works and words. (and we should note that religious people had their hand in it.)

Here is an interaction between Christ and a young ruler. You read it and tell me your thoughts.

(Mark 10:17,18,19,20,21,22) "And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions."

This says that Jesus loved him. If so, why didn't he invite him over for a lamb barbaque and to hang out? Why didn't Jesus take the time to build a relationship with him? How did Jesus show love in this situation?

Also, I've taken the time to graciously answer your questions. Is there any reason why you have not answered mine?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Bradigans
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Bradigans »

It's clear that you're natural minded (1 Corinthians 2:14)and as such can't really understand Christianity; or rather, true Christendom.. My advice to you would be to repent and get converted.. Then maybe you'll have ears to hear.

--- IN CHRIST ---
-bradford-
melheath42
Newbie Member
Sex: Female

Post by melheath42 »

I agree that people who claim to be Christians but dont act like it should not pass judgement. I was told to remove the log from my eye before trying to remove a thorn from someone elses. I am a Christian but after I left to college I never went to Church. I also thought it was funny how alot of people I knew outside of church acted very differently. I believe those people are lost and go to Church to find "their way" but have not accepted the truth yet. I was the same way. I was bad... smoked weed, drank, etc... i thought going to church would bring me into a fruitful life and keep me from feeling so guilty but it never did, so I quit going. I even started to question if God was real. Not until recently I really started to study Aleins, life in other galaxies, if our spirits live on, what God is, is Heaven a physical place. Once I started praying for answers God started showing them to me. I feel at peace now because I actually understand all of it!! I know God is real, I can feel him showing the light. I dont want to do the bad things I used to, I dont feel depressed anymore..... I actually get it now, the link between humans, our spirits, the universe, and GOD!!!
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

melheath42 wrote: I feel at peace now because I actually understand all of it!! I know God is real, I can feel him showing the light. I dont want to do the bad things I used to, I dont feel depressed anymore.....
:esmile:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Blood
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Blood »

Just an update.

This Sunday I went to a Methodist church and I actually really enjoyed it! I enjoyed how all the pastor talked about was the love of god and not damnation of others. It was a good experience and I think I may actually go again. I'm contemplating a conference with the pastor to ask him a lot of the questions that bother me.

And I have another unrelated question, Can a christian be in true love with Christ, preaching the gospel and trying to convert all of his friends while not changing his lifestyle from before he became a "christian"? Or does that mean he is not truly in love with Christ.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

One should lead by example.
Of course that is always easier said than done.
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

PaulSacramento wrote:
They do good works because of their love, not because they are commanded to.
Amen...
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

RickD wrote:PaulSacramento wrote:
:amen:
and, by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit!
Amen (Galations 5:5)...

IN CHRIST
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Has anyone here read "The reason for God" by Tim Keller?
It goes into the very issues that so many do have with religion ( and Christianity in particular), including does that WERE Christians.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:Has anyone here read "The reason for God" by Tim Keller?
It goes into the very issues that so many do have with religion ( and Christianity in particular), including does that WERE Christians.
I read it two years or so ago. I have the book at my mother-in-law home. I can take it to my home.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Has anyone here read "The reason for God" by Tim Keller?
I read it two years or so ago. I have the book at my mother-in-law home. I can take it to my home.
I found it facinating how Pastor Keller had to deal with these very issues and how well he did.
I always worry when I hear from someone that the reason they are not a Christian is because of the Christians they know.
It always brings me to that warning about NOT being the stumbling block to others.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote: I found it facinating how Pastor Keller had to deal with these very issues and how well he did.
I always worry when I hear from someone that the reason they are not a Christian is because of the Christians they know.
It always brings me to that warning about NOT being the stumbling block to others.
Talking about stumbling blocks, this site with this forum has a great potential to be one big stumbling block for atheists. It already is a stumbling block, but can be greater. But this we will not achieve by laughing at atheists as I've seen in the posts since I joined in.

#foreverinmyheart