Hello

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Hello

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I now understand the concept, how is G-D any different from writing God as it still means the same thing?
We give names meaning so what difference does it make writing it a different way, sounds a little superstition to me ( not meaning any offence ) or am i not understanding properly?
No not superstitious. It's a respectful way to use it if we want to be Torah observant.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I now understand the concept, how is G-D any different from writing God as it still means the same thing?
We give names meaning so what difference does it make writing it a different way, sounds a little superstition to me ( not meaning any offence ) or am i not understanding properly?
No not superstitious. It's a respectful way to use it if we want to be Torah observant.
I still dont understand y:-?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Gman wrote:
I still dont understand y:-?
Let’s see,

Observant Jews do not use vowels for the any reference to God as that could lead to taking the name of the Lord in vain (based on Exodus 20:7, Lev 19:12, Lev 22:32c, Ezekiel 20:9 Ezekiel 39:7). So as to avoid this, the vowels are removed. Out of respect to observant Jews, the vowels are taken out so you have G-d instead of God and Lord instead of Yhwh.

Please note the use of the Hebrew word translated vain – a word used to describe things that (1) lead to forgetting God, (2) that make the name desolate, of no value, useless…

The ancient Hebrew picture graphs indicate an interesting word portraying a thunderous desolating storm or the use of the force of a storm to cause ruin, as well as what causes one to forget due to the noise of the crashing storm thru the Distraction that storms cause.

The Hebrew word translated name means one's personal character. The picture graph shows ‘mighty wind (or Breath) that can cause desolation or relief, help, or destruction’. It is used to show Breath of a Person and Breath represents one’s personal character and nature – either bad or good. Breath shows the contextual essence of one’s character.

So taking the contextual essence of God’s character/nature in vain would involve more than just swear words attached to a generic name for God but rather involve using the name in a way that causes one to forget God through distractions, or manipulating God’s name for self gain, or even pitting God’s own character traits against each other in a way the seeks to tempt/test God to go against his own character/nature.

in the Psalms and Prophets – you can find many references that the Lord desires for people to call on his name, proclaim it. How can you proclaim his name if you are too afraid to say it and if too afraid to say it, then would that in and of itself lead a person to forget God?? hence a backdoor approach to taking his name in vain???
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

ok so it is not the actual writing God but in what context it is being used?
I really think this one escapes my logic, the part i dont understand is the difference between leaving the vowel out and using the vowel as it still represents the same thing?
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Johnny916 wrote:Why do you guys support the state of Israel? I'm a Jew against Zionism. Yes, I know I would have to mention some time are another. As I mentioned before I'm very in-tune with my faith. Therefore I'm influenced by Jews who disagree with Zionism.
All due respect and recall that you have a desire to learn so please hear me out on this matter and ask you this question – How does the website address you provided fare with the Holy Scriptures and the Historical record?

The Torah and Prophets proclaim that if Israel forgets G-d, G-d will send the people into captivity. Not only this but the Holy Book does identify two times that the Jewish people would be sent off into captivity and only two regatherings back into the physical land of Israel. There are only two and no more. A Third time (three fold witness) will happen but Israel will not be removed from the Land, rather that third time is identified as a time of dividing...That is another subject for another thread. So let's keep on topic and look at the biblical mentions two regathering.

Isa 11:11, 12, “And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord will set His hand again the second time to recover the remnant of His people, that shall remain from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea. 12 And He will set up an ensign for the nations, and will assemble the dispersed of Israel, and gather together the scattered of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” JPS

I have heard observant Jews say that since all Jews are not in Israel because not all will fit inside Israel forget that Isaiah 11:11 mentions the initial regathering and is separated from verse 12 by use of the word Ensign …. You have a period of time being suggested here. So that argument about not all Jews are in Israel is spurious. Has the Ensign been set up yet? Are there Jews in Israel nowadays? Next, add in what the word translated ensign means and then Toss in Isaiah 65:17, 18, 19c and host of other prophecy…

How many times has the people of Israel been removed from the Land of Israel and regathered? Historically twice and then add in this text:

Amos 9:14, 15, “And I will turn the captivity of My people Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. 15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy G-d.” JPS

Also remember G-d swore to Abraham and to the Jewish people that He will be their G-d and that He gave them that Land. To say that the Jews in Israel currently are illegitimate and do not belong there in essence is tempting G-d to break His covenant oath, proving that G-d is unable to keep his word, promises, oath when he said twice and only twice will the nation be lead into captivity and regathered again. From the initial second regathering there will elapse a period time until the ensign is revealed when all G-d’s people return…(New Heaven and Earth)

Is G-d a G-d unable to keep his word and perform it? Isaiah 55:11 …

If not, then how could a doctrine that teaches he must be unable to keep his word be correct?

There will come a time of dividing…
-
-
-
P. S, please do not think I am being harsh here in asking you these things, I am trying to make you think for yourself so you can grow into your faith. Be Blest my friend in G-d

Numbers 6:24, 25, 26, 27c
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:ok so it is not the actual writing God but in what context it is being used?
I really think this one escapes my logic, the part i dont understand is the difference between leaving the vowel out and using the vowel as it still represents the same thing?
For us, it makes no difference but we are called as Romans 14:13 says as that is why the missing vowel...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
CeT-To
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CeT-To »

To be honest i'm not sure i understand either - by that i mean a good reason- as to why Jews write G-d. God is a title not His name ... i understand to some degree why they write His name like this " YHWH" for respect of His Holy name but the other is a title.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

B. W. wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:ok so it is not the actual writing God but in what context it is being used?
For us, it makes no difference but we are called as Romans 14:13 says as that is why the missing vowel...
-
-
-
So if i talk to a Torah observant Jewish person i should use G-d as this would open a communication channel that would otherwise be closed, well i am happy to do that y@};-
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

B. W. wrote: Also remember G-d swore to Abraham and to the Jewish people that He will be their G-d and that He gave them that Land. To say that the Jews in Israel currently are illegitimate and do not belong there in essence is tempting G-d to break His covenant oath, proving that G-d is unable to keep his word, promises, oath when he said twice and only twice will the nation be lead into captivity and regathered again. From the initial second regathering there will elapse a period time until the ensign is revealed when all G-d’s people return…(New Heaven and Earth)

Is G-d a G-d unable to keep his word and perform it? Isaiah 55:11 …

If not, then how could a doctrine that teaches he must be unable to keep his word be correct?
I think many people get confused between the "Land Title Covenant" which given by God through Abraham which is unconditional in nature and eternal and "the Land Use Covenant" which is given through Moses and is conditional in nature (based on the morality, etc. of the Jews). Although many Jews blow it on the Mosaic laws they never actually lose the title deeds to their homeland Israel. A simply study in the Bible corrects such misunderstandings.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8