Is my blue your blue?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is my blue your blue?

Post by SnowDrops »

A puzzle I made up.

Imagine someone you know (anyone) sees colors differently than you. For example, what you see as blue, they see as orange (what you would consider orange), but since the way they learned the color is by looking at it and being told that it is blue, then they also would say it is blue, though the definitions are not the same. Now imagine it is like this for everyone: All people see every single color differently. Would it be possible to find out if someone sees a color the same way as you or not? In fact, maybe it is that way. That would also explain why people like different colors: They all like the same colors, but their brains interpret them differently. y:-? :esmile:
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Is my blue your blue?

Post by Kenzel »

I think about this too :lol: I guess we'll never know though!
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Thank goodness for Descartes hahahah :lol:
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Mmm....to tag on to this - is your good my good?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

August wrote:Mmm....to tag on to this - is your good my good?
Yeah it is, unless we are in different situations where some virtues are turned into vices if practiced in that situation. For example Generosity- Good: Giving money to poor. Bad: Giving money to a poor drug addict who will probably use that money for his addiction. The latter is just stupidity.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

HAHAHAHA i have had this same thought too when i was a teen.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

SnowDrops wrote:A puzzle I made up.

Imagine someone you know (anyone) sees colors differently than you. For example, what you see as blue, they see as orange (what you would consider orange), but since the way they learned the color is by looking at it and being told that it is blue, then they also would say it is blue, though the definitions are not the same. Now imagine it is like this for everyone: All people see every single color differently. Would it be possible to find out if someone sees a color the same way as you or not? In fact, maybe it is that way. That would also explain why people like different colors: They all like the same colors, but their brains interpret them differently. y:-? :esmile:
Go stare at the sun for a couple minutes, then come and try to tell me that it was actually a pleasant sight you just can't understand why a soothing dark color such as yellow burned out your eyes 8)
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Whether someone's blue is another person's blue is irrelevant as long as we both perceive the color known as blue as blue and agree to call it blue.

This is a variation of the old saw, if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it still make a noise? The answer is, yes it does. The creation of sound is independent of human perception. Both questions are based upon the implication that nothing is real unless a human perceives it and it is only by that perception that something becomes real. Reality in that context is relative. However, while perception may be reality in the sphere of a person who percieves something, reality itself is objective and not subject to how we perceive it.

Some of this harkens back to Plato and Plato's cave (google it, if you haven't heard it.

My opinion, anyway.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SnowDrops »

I think we can determine colors just by looking at different wavelengths, etc. and giving them names, but colors are not actually real, but our brains interpretation of light, so despite the real, physical world always being the same (tree making a noise, etc.) our interpretation of it can be different and its very hard to find out if it is or not.
The only thing we all see the same would be light and dark things, but since black is the absence of color (we all see it the same), white is all the colors combined (same thing) and all of the colors can be bright or dark it doesn't really give a solution.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.