Writing a fantasy book, need help.

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Ngakunui
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Writing a fantasy book, need help.

Post by Ngakunui »

Oh wow, I haven't posted here in forever. Don't worry, though; it's somewhat relevant to the board purposes. I think.

I'm writing a book of which the main themes are redemption, evils of humans, how life isn't so good, and why death isn't so bad. Things that are in the Bible rather commonly, but here's my biggest issue. The "world/cosmos" in which the story takes is not ours, nor is it connected in anyway- but in order for it to work, it has to actually mention God a few times so that the theme of "Going to heaven is better than living on Earth." works coherently.(Well, the world this takes place on, at least) What I need to know is what sort of problems there are in giving(some of) the characters beliefs near identical to Christianity without actually making them Christians. You can see my dilemma now.

Honestly, this is something I didn't think would get into the way of the story until I actually got to writing. I just finished the first chapter, but there's this little issue of how I'm supposed to depict the beliefs of some of the characters without them being in "CRAZY CULT, MAN". The whole basis of this world having a bible like that of ours is just far fetched beyond imagination for the limits I've set. In order for it to work, they'd had to have had an ancient world identical to ours as well as history and historical figures.

As none of these exist in the fiction, and I'd much rather my characters not be pagans or atheists(not to speak terribly of either), would it be too far of a stretch to have the basis of these pseudo-christian beliefs be contained within a fictional document that equates the Bible for this fantasy setting? Granted, it wouldn't be called the Bible; it'd be called something fancy but still connectible to Christianity, like... I guess Codex Tetragrammaton(just to throw an idea out- Which actually does match the prevalence of the number four in the story, but I digress.)

So do any of you have any advice for how to write God in a story that doesn't feature our world? Also if it's been done before, do you have any references for which to get an idea on just how to do it? This is going to be really, really difficult to write around if I can't incorporate such a thing.
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Writing a fantasy book, need help.

Post by Kenzel »

Well, you could obviously check out the Narnia and Lord of the Rings Trilogies..other than that, I don't really have any advice to give! :econfused: Maybe I'll come up with something to say later..
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Post by neo-x »

hey, matrix the film is also a nice example, esp NEO, who almost resembles Christ in a lot of ways without explicitly labeled as christian. or perhaps you can post a short synopsis of your story or characters so someone can help you specifically.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Ngakunui,

First write an outline overview of entire book that sets the story line / theme. Next outline each chapter individually. From this you can see who your characters are and get an idea that comes to you on how you would want to do this. That is how to start...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys