Apologetics class.

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Apologetics class.

Post by Kurieuo »

smiley wrote:
DannyM wrote: Why would the Christian wish to waste his precious fellowship time debating that which he already knows to be an irrational worldview with an irrational atheist?
What's the use of studying apologetics if you don't expose yourself to the opposition's arguments? You end up doing nothing but indoctrinating your students.
That's right. Better to indoctrinate yourself in all your opponents arguments! y:-?

Seriously, studying apologetics involves taking a look at (exposing one's self) to opponent arguments. Or do you hate that Christians have any rational defence and offence?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

DannyM wrote:Silvertusk,

Great topic! This is something I've been thinking about for some time. Time permitting I want to get at this one with you. Alpha needs a revamp, in my opinion. And you're on the right track.

Thanks for the support.

I have decided to start with Lee Stobels Case for Christ - 6 part course DVD - then try his Case for a Creator. If we get throught that with positive results and people are hungry for more - I will then try something a little more deeper like William Lane Craig's On Guard and Reasonable Faith.

Basically I think our church needs a forum for questions from people who won't be satisfied by Alpha and need some thing with more substance.

I will let you know how it goes - hoping to start it up soon - if not before Christmas - definately after.

God Bless

SIlvertusk.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Silvertusk wrote:
DannyM wrote:Silvertusk,

Great topic! This is something I've been thinking about for some time. Time permitting I want to get at this one with you. Alpha needs a revamp, in my opinion. And you're on the right track.

Thanks for the support.

I have decided to start with Lee Stobels Case for Christ - 6 part course DVD - then try his Case for a Creator. If we get throught that with positive results and people are hungry for more - I will then try something a little more deeper like William Lane Craig's On Guard and Reasonable Faith.

Basically I think our church needs a forum for questions from people who won't be satisfied by Alpha and need some thing with more substance.

I will let you know how it goes - hoping to start it up soon - if not before Christmas - definately after.

God Bless

SIlvertusk.

Sounds good to me. Alpha, for me, could do with this sort of thing. Nicky Gumble is very good, and his illustrations are superb. But I'd like to see an injection of the kind of thing you are doing here, Silver.

Maybe I just have this constant urge to debate and dissect, but am in total agreement with what you have done. please let us know how this is panning out for your group...
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Thanks.

We are meeting up for a prelimary on the 15th to discuss the format. Then we are starting with Lee Stobels 6 part course (Case for Christ) after Christmas. I am going to ask people to bring all their questions to the first session and we will produce a list that after each session we will tackle a few of the questions.

Could be interesting.

Silvertusk.