Inhuman Holiday Shopping

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Inhuman Holiday Shopping

Post by cslewislover »

Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down
By COLLEEN LONG (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
November 28, 2008 9:34 PM EST

NEW YORK - A Wal-Mart discount store worker was killed Friday when "out-of-control" shoppers desperate for bargains broke down the doors at a 5 a.m. sale. Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers shouted angrily and kept shopping when store officials said they were closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.

At least four other people, including a woman who was eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Shoppers stepped over the man on the ground and streamed into the store. When told to leave, they complained that they had been in line since Thursday morning.

The article is from here: http://my.earthlink.net/article/bus?gui ... 8910873645
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Byblos
Old School

Re: Inhuman Holiday Shopping

Post by Byblos »

cslewislover wrote:Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down
From Associated Press

NEW YORK - A Wal-Mart discount store worker was killed Friday when "out-of-control" shoppers desperate for bargains broke down the doors at a 5 a.m. sale. Other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man, and customers shouted angrily and kept shopping when store officials said they were closing because of the death, police and witnesses said.

At least four other people, including a woman who was eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals for observation or minor injuries, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island closed for several hours before reopening.

Shoppers stepped over the man on the ground and streamed into the store. When told to leave, they complained that they had been in line since Thursday morning.

The article is from here: http://my.earthlink.net/article/bus?gui ... 8910873645
That Walmart is actually 20 minutes from my house, my wife and I often shop there. We had planned on going there Friday but were staying at my sister's in Jersey and ended at Walmart there. What a terribly senseless tragedy and for what, to save a few bucks on flat screen TV? People have truly lost their sense
of everything moral.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Swamper
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Swamper »

Yet another example of the excessive consumerism and materialism endemic to modern culture. All affected persons will be in my prayers.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

cslewislover wrote:Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down
From Associated Press

Makes me want to turn to evolution... humans are obviously no better than common animals. :shakehead: :crying:

Wait, scratch that, I'll never turn to evolution as long as I live.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
harth1026
Familiar Member

Post by harth1026 »

I find it utterly disgusting to know there are people out there that honestly believe that human casualties are acceptable simply because you've been waiting in line all day for a sale.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Yes, I find it unbelievably sick. Even if you were a part of this and just got pushed forward with no control, I'd think a person would be remorseful (hopefully some were) instead of defensive about how long they stood in line.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Lufia
Recognized Member

Post by Lufia »

Those kind of news are exactly why i hate Christmas time. It is not rejoicing time for the birth of our Savior but it is a material consuming fiesta. It has become the greatest money party of the year. The worth of your gift is the worth of your love. People are angry because the don't find what they want, they are angry because they are loading their credit card, they are angry because they don't have time to go shopping, they are angry because you don't drive fast enougt etc People are very agressive in those time, they explode for the slightness reason. I work in a store and i hate christmas time. Sorry for my english, but you get the idea ...
harth1026
Familiar Member

Post by harth1026 »

And some people don't understand the idea of "giving". You give a gift to a friend or loved one because you care about them. The moment you have to harm another human being to get that gift, it takes all of the love that went into getting that gift. Unfortunately not many think about that when they go Christmas shopping.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

I agree, I am becoming more and more into making gifts....I try to get what I need and avoid the stores until Dec. 26th

This is a tragedy and hopefully might make stores rethink how they do the black friday. It's awful to think that happens. And I wonder what the people in Mumbai htink when they wre dealing with the terrorists and hear that a person died because of our collective greed. Here we are the wealthiest nation and we have people acting like animals....
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
harth1026
Familiar Member

Post by harth1026 »

This just in...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,460924,00.html

The family of the victim is suing Walmart. While they believe that the mob was more responsible for the incident, they believe that Walmart could have done more to control the mob. While I agree that Walmart could have done more, I don't see them being at fault at all. There was additional security for that event so it wasn't like there weren't preparing for some extra craziness. And I seriously don't agree with suing Walmart while letting the unapologetic mob itself get away with murder. That is completely wrong and it send the wrong message.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

If I were Walmart (or any other store) I would be thinking seriously right now about ways to automate the doors unlocking and opening. There should be no employee in front of those doors at opening.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

harth1026 wrote:This just in...

The family of the victim is suing Walmart. While they believe that the mob was more responsible for the incident, they believe that Walmart could have done more to control the mob. While I agree that Walmart could have done more, I don't see them being at fault at all. There was additional security for that event so it wasn't like there weren't preparing for some extra craziness. And I seriously don't agree with suing Walmart while letting the unapologetic mob itself get away with murder. That is completely wrong and it send the wrong message.
I agree, but unfortunately Wal-Mart is liable for anything that happens on their property. It is a shame that people had to act like animals. In defense of Wal-Mart who could forsee that...well maybe they should have.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

FFC wrote:

I agree, but unfortunately Wal-Mart is liable for anything that happens on their property. It is a shame that people had to act like animals. In defense of Wal-Mart who could forsee that...well maybe they should have.
Yes they should have and so should any other who promote black Friday with special sales in "limited" quanity.

The barbaric crowds have going on since the invention of black Friday but no company (that I've heard of) has taken precautions against injury.

But still, it is a shame Wal-Mart has to take the punch, when clearly the mob should be held culpable.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Cross.eyed wrote:
FFC wrote:

Yes they should have and so should any other who promote black Friday with special sales in "limited" quanity.

The barbaric crowds have going on since the invention of black Friday but no company (that I've heard of) has taken precautions against injury.

But still, it is a shame Wal-Mart has to take the punch, when clearly the mob should be held culpable.
I would love to see the mob be held culpable, but where do you begin and where do you end? y:-?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

The pregnant woman who was sent to the hospital after she got trampled by the mob has now had a miscarriage.

I have no words.
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.