Who has read the entire Bible?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
JCSx2
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Who has read the entire Bible?

Post by JCSx2 »

Well? Who?

I am currently on Leviticus; it is my New Years resolution to read it through.

I will continue to post here on my progress.

Is anyone else up for the task? Please join in.

I am also doing other readings besides reading straight through, but my goal is to read from cover to cover.

My current comment on Leviticus is I really have a graphic image of the sacrificial alter in the Tabernacle, to me it looks very messy.

All the different things you had to sacrifice for, people were there pretty much on a weekly basis if not more.

Others please feel free to join in for comment or conversation.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Who has read the entire Bible?

Post by FFC »

to me God made it so difficult then to show how wonderful His grace is now.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

JCSx2 wrote:Well? Who?

I am currently on Leviticus; it is my New Years resolution to read it through.

I will continue to post here on my progress.

Is anyone else up for the task? Please join in.

I am also doing other readings besides reading straight through, but my goal is to read from cover to cover.

My current comment on Leviticus is I really have a graphic image of the sacrificial alter in the Tabernacle, to me it looks very messy.

All the different things you had to sacrifice for, people were there pretty much on a weekly basis if not more.

Others please feel free to join in for comment or conversation.
I've read the entire Bible through on several occassions, although the first time was the Living Bible, which is a paraphrase so I'm not sure it counts. ;)

Every time I read it through I try to do it in a different translation than before.

I don't include that in my devotional plans now, like I did in the past. I focus on individual books though quite regularly.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Of course I've read it many times.

My first was the Good News bible, I read it through twice, I loved the Old Testament, I would imagine what life was like so long ago. It had a cardboard cover painted gold. It was so worn that I had to tape up the corners, some people didn't like that at church.

Later I read NIV, and being older I focused mostly on the New Testament.

I've also read the King James Version, that was the last time I read the bible front to back.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

Hey JCSx2,

I have read the entire Bible about 15 times over the last 30 years. It is a daily thing for me, reading the Bible. I read many pages per day. After many years of reading, I realize the Bible is written on multiple levels: the actual event which is written and happened in history, the symbolism and lesson that is being used from each example and how each specific example is used to illustrate what will happen in the future. I grew up reading the Catholic Bible but now I stick strictly with the King James, specifically a Companion Bible, which is a King James Bible with side columns by Dr. E W Bullinger, who in my opinion is the greatest Christian theologian since the Apostle Paul. I also refer to the Septuagint periodically to understand the words in translation from the Hebrew to the Greek and the Massorah by Dr. Ginsberg, which locks in the true meanings of many misunderstood scriptures. I use a Strong's concordance, not a Schofield. Nothing against Schofield, but I'd rather study from a linguist who got a A+ in Biblical linguistics, than a man who got a D-. :lol: Sometimes I refer to the Moffat Bible because he did much excellent work on dating, setting times and figures of speech. And for deep study I use the Greene's Interlinear Bible to understand the true meaning of the words in their original language. Here's a couple of links of Bullinger's other works:

http://www.giveshare.org/library/numberscripture/

This is Bullinger's work on the significance of number in scripture.

http://philologos.org/__eb-tws/default.htm

This is Bullinger's work explaining the significance of the stars and constellations within the zodiac.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Katabole wrote:Hey JCSx2,

I have read the entire Bible about 15 times over the last 30 years. It is a daily thing for me, reading the Bible. I read many pages per day. After many years of reading, I realize the Bible is written on multiple levels: the actual event which is written and happened in history, the symbolism and lesson that is being used from each example and how each specific example is used to illustrate what will happen in the future. I grew up reading the Catholic Bible but now I stick strictly with the King James, specifically a Companion Bible, which is a King James Bible with side columns by Dr. E W Bullinger, who in my opinion is the greatest Christian theologian since the Apostle Paul. I also refer to the Septuagint periodically to understand the words in translation from the Hebrew to the Greek and the Massorah by Dr. Ginsberg, which locks in the true meanings of many misunderstood scriptures. I use a Strong's concordance, not a Schofield. Nothing against Schofield, but I'd rather study from a linguist who got a A+ in Biblical linguistics, than a man who got a D-. :lol: Sometimes I refer to the Moffat Bible because he did much excellent work on dating, setting times and figures of speech. And for deep study I use the Greene's Interlinear Bible to understand the true meaning of the words in their original language. Here's a couple of links of Bullinger's other works:

http://www.giveshare.org/library/numberscripture/

This is Bullinger's work on the significance of number in scripture.
I purchased this book a while ago, and while reading found myself balking at much of what was being said regarding the meanings found in numbers. I just thought meaning was being seen in things where there really was no meaning. Perhaps I will give it another try...
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

Well starting Deuteronomy, I have learned more about the Big names in the Bible by reading it than from hearing it from others.

I don't care how much you read parts, verses, sections of the Bible, I am now sold on everyone should read it through at least once.

This is incredible.

I thought I was knowledgeable on the Bible before, but know I know how wrong I was.

I have tried to read it through before several times, but I haven't the heart for it I guess. There is something different about this time. I view it differently than before. I read it for the love of the knowledge of the Lord, not just to do it. Not really sure how to explain it.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

I have to admit - I have not read the entire bible.

I have read the first 5 books Joshua and Judges bits of Samuel and Kings, Ruth and all of the New Testament and parts of kings- the rest i kind of struggle with. To be honest - it is because I have never found a good study guide that takes me through the entire bible and not just snippets.

I do realise that it is something that i need to remedy.

Silvertusk.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I have read it through once but have read individual books multiple times.

Love reading through a chronological bible, that helps the "levitical" and deuteronomy slumps
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I've read trough it several times. I prefer reading it in English, and the NIV is my favorite; I use a parallel Bible as well as French and Spanish translations to shed light on difficult passages.

I have both Catholic and ecumenical versions in English & French; Catholic only in Spanish.

I have a lot of Bibles.

(Man, I gotta get a life!)

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
7trumpets
Familiar Member

Post by 7trumpets »

Its a daily study, spending time in Father's WORD. Reading the Bible over and over. I use a King James so then i use a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.

You can't read the Bible in a year correctly, it should take 3 to 4 years.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

dividing 3718 orqotomew orthotomeo or-thot-om-eh'-o
from a compound of orqoV - orthos 3717 and the base of tomwteroV - tomoteros 5114, to make a straight cut, i.e. (figuratively) to dissect (expound) correctly (the divine message):--rightly divide.

How does one "rightly divide" the WORD of GOD? You have to keep Subject, Object, and four W's. Who its written to, Why, Where, When etc. Not only to "rightly divide" the chapters, but also the vs. You must dissect them.

To really read the Bible, one should read with understanding, get Wisdom.

Pro 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

7trumpets wrote:Its a daily study, spending time in Father's WORD. Reading the Bible over and over. I use a King James so then i use a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance.

You can't read the Bible in a year correctly, it should take 3 to 4 years.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

dividing 3718 orqotomew orthotomeo or-thot-om-eh'-o
from a compound of orqoV - orthos 3717 and the base of tomwteroV - tomoteros 5114, to make a straight cut, i.e. (figuratively) to dissect (expound) correctly (the divine message):--rightly divide.

How does one "rightly divide" the WORD of GOD? You have to keep Subject, Object, and four W's. Who its written to, Why, Where, When etc. Not only to "rightly divide" the chapters, but also the vs. You must dissect them.

To really read the Bible, one should read with understanding, get Wisdom.

Pro 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
I agree that to truly understand the Bible one must actually study it verse by verse chapter by chapter book by book.

I am also doing that in addition to just a straight through read, I am doing my straight through read so I may actually have seen everything that is in it at least once.

I have gained some new incite and knowledge from just reading it straight through so far.

I am currently in the Book of Joshua.
7trumpets
Familiar Member

Post by 7trumpets »

I am currently in the Book of Joshua.
I love that book! :D

Joshua 3091 Yhowshuwa` yeh-ho-shoo'-ah
or Yhowshua {yeh-ho-shoo'-ah}; from 'Yhovah' (3068) and 'yasha`' (3467); Jehovah-saved; Jehoshua (i.e. Joshua), the Jewish leader:--Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua. Compare 'Howshea`' (1954), 'Yeshuwa`' (3442).

In greek "Jesus", see Acts 7:45 2424 IhsouV Iesous ee-ay-sooce'
of Hebrew origin (Yhowshuwa` 3091); Jesus (i.e. Jehoshua), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Israelites:--Jesus.

A few of my notes.

The book of Joshua is a "type" (1Cor 10:11) of Jesus leading us into the promised land(eternity).

ch 6 the City Jericho(means sweet) is a type of the city Babylon Rev 18:12-13.

Jos 6:4 And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets.

The "Ark" today is the WORD of GOD. The priests take it forth to the people.

7 priests also can represent the 7000 Zadoc sent forth, Zac 3,4:10 that help blow the seven trumpets.

ch 7 the "accursed thing", was a Babylonish garment vs21 which was priests mantel.
Today the Accursed thing would be to partake of False Religion/False teaching and following Satan in the 6th trumpet.

Ch 10:12-14 the Sun stood still.

Ch 10:14,42 The LORD fought for Israel.

Chr 10:55, 42 UNgodly kings distroyed of Amorites.

Ch 11:20 GOD hardeded the enemys hearts. Cleaning the land of the 2nd influx(fallen angels) and their offspring- Giants.
http://www.therain.org/appendixes/app23.html

Ch 23 Warnings against Idolatry and other nations.

Ch 24:15 Choice who you Serve. Like today we have a choice, GOD or Satan.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

When I first began to read the Bible it was a small New Testament with Proverbs and I would read verses in the morning so I could think about them throughout the day. At first this seemed all well and good but it was going to take somewhere around 347 years or so to read all the NT and Pro.

One day I was channel surfing to here a good sermon and came across John Hagee preaching about how to read the Bible. He asked the question " If I sent you a five page letter and you read page three and then page one then page four and then page two and then page five, would you have any idea what I was writing to you about? " I don't often listen to John Hagee but that day he came through loud and clear.

I began looking at Bibles and trying to decide which one to buy. A brother at work said he had a commentary that he liked very much and he would loan it to me to try. It was a Dake and the first expansive commentary I had seen. I read as much as possible for five straight days every word of text and comment and chased every reference. I was hooked.

My wife bought me one of those Dakes shortly after that and my new addiction was under full steam. I read every single word in that Bible from Gen. to Rev. using every nanosecond I had free to get my nose back in it. Possessed is a word most sane people would use to describe my affliction-I couldn't get enough. I practically wore out a Strongs Concordance and learned the meaning of the word exhaustive.

Since then I have read other commentaries and I'm now trying to reserve time to read The Defender's Bible by Dr. Henry Morris Phd. Although I don't always agree with the comments but the education in GOD's WORD is well worth it-to read differing opinions make me think and I try hard to keep an open mind.

The apostle John said "let no man teach you" and I took that to heart and in those early studies I prayed before reading "Please Father let me believe no lie concerning your word." As silly as that prayer may sound I still use it often when I read. I can't claim I know every thing about GOD's Word but I do know when to say I don't know.

Reading The Holy Bible from beginning to end is by far the best education I have ever gotten.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Lufia
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by Lufia »

I have tried to read the Bible but first of all, at the beginning i find it very boring. All the genealogy. And then it is all about the jews people. I'm not interested in their history. And then i've tried to read some of the old testament but not from the beginning: but all i see is a God of war, of vengence, wrath, killing entire village even their animals !!! Some parts of old testament seems good but there is so much punisment and death in it that i just can't read it. Only some parts of it, like Job, proverbs, prayers. I would really love to read it from cover to cover but i become revolt at God and and since i really don't want to revolt at Him i rather read New Testament.