The Golden Compus

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Typhoon
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

The Golden Compus

Post by Typhoon »

I Think the Northan Lights is a brilliant book and One that I really enjoyed. Was drawn to this god and science website from an article that was posted saying it was sin or evil. I have heard that the religious reference is watered down and am a little disappointed of this because I think it would kill the story a little but I hope not! Im about to see the film and I wanted to know if anyone is truly thinking of avoiding watching it. Its a genius story (fantasy/fiction) I recommend you read the books, brilliant just brilliant. I don't think it offends Christianity at all and so what if it does, Its a good story! Your Views?

Hi btw Im a n00b here!
JCSx2
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

Re: The Golden Compus

Post by JCSx2 »

Typhoon wrote:I Think the Northan Lights is a brilliant book and One that I really enjoyed. Was drawn to this god and science website from an article that was posted saying it was sin or evil. I have heard that the religious reference is watered down and am a little disappointed of this because I think it would kill the story a little but I hope not! Im about to see the film and I wanted to know if anyone is truly thinking of avoiding watching it. Its a genius story (fantasy/fiction) I recommend you read the books, brilliant just brilliant. I don't think it offends Christianity at all and so what if it does, Its a good story! Your Views?

Hi btw Im a n00b here!

Yes I am going to NOT see it.

It is a trilogy and the author is a very vocal atheist.

The last book in the trilogy the girl who is supposed to represent Eve, kills "god"

Now will my son seeing the movie pull him away from God? I don't really think so; I think he will see it as an action adventure with crazy characters. But it will put money in the author's pocket. That I am not going to do.

Now as a Christian, I will not support the Author by taking any of my family to see the movie. He is an enemy of Christ, if you research his name, you will see he is an enemy of Christ. You will see what his books are about.
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

Typhoon wrote:I recommend you read the books, brilliant just brilliant. I don't think it offends Christianity at all and so what if it does, Its a good story! Your Views?

Hi btw Im a n00b here!
Not to speak badly of you but as a Christian, how can you even say that? Unless you truly do not have any idea of what the books are about.

And welcome to the board.

Edit:

Are you a Christian?
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Typhoon
Acquainted Member

Post by Typhoon »

Hi JCSx2

Thanks for you reply...

Having read the books a couple of times, one of my favourite's unfortunately lol :) next to Lord of the Rings. I feel that alot of the attacks that have been launched at the books are a little wrong. Dont attack me for this just wanting to express my opinion. Yes lets be honest they may be about killing the "Authority" which can obviously be viewed as god, however they express throughout the book that there is nothing wrong with god, the books are about the gradual corruption of the people that represent god who at one time stood for good. Infact in the books god is a good guy its the people that have become corrupt around him and over powered him and taken over. Its not as straight forward as god is bad we must kill him. Its the fact that they tell the story of corruption from humans to turn a good thing into a source of power and corruption. Without spoiling the movie or books they do kill the person responsible and it is not god that they kill... he is achally released from the corruption!

JCSx2 I agree with your view of the author but this is not what the books are about, they are good stories and not at all about Killing any old god for the sake of it or just to piss Christians off, which I would find offensive to alot of people. I think its hard to judge a book that the majority of people haven't read, and wanted to clarify what it is really about.

Thank you again JCSx2 ... more views welcome!
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I agree, the author has made it quite clear that he wrote these books to pull people towards atheism. I will not give him money for this. Especially since the movie is nothing like the book, which seems quite disingenuous.
Typhoon
Acquainted Member

Post by Typhoon »

Sorry you replied whist I was typing JCSx2 ... No im not a Christian, however I absolutely love religion and religious history find it fascinating. Im not an atheist either, just like getting other peoples views on things that I read and research. I think im in the right place?

Hi Zoegirl!

I don't know about the author but Im just talking about the story, he may have written the book for that purpose but you surly cant refuse to read every story written by an atheist for what ever reason. I interpret the books completely differently than it is represented on this website. For me it is a message of corruption and power that can formulate from evil even in the good things. Which is a bit of a life lession ... like corruption exists in the highest places. And again I really hope to inform you guys that its not so bad and a brilliant adventure story, not focused on killing god for the sake of it... its not even god they kill in my view.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Typhoon wrote:Hi JCSx2

Thanks for you reply...

Having read the books a couple of times, one of my favourite's unfortunately lol :) next to Lord of the Rings. I feel that alot of the attacks that have been launched at the books are a little wrong. Dont attack me for this just wanting to express my opinion. Yes lets be honest they may be about killing the "Authority" which can obviously be viewed as god, however they express throughout the book that there is nothing wrong with god, the books are about the gradual corruption of the people that represent god who at one time stood for good. Infact in the books god is a good guy its the people that have become corrupt around him and over powered him and taken over. Its not as straight forward as god is bad we must kill him. Its the fact that they tell the story of corruption from humans to turn a good thing into a source of power and corruption. Without spoiling the movie or books they do kill the person responsible and it is not god that they kill... he is achally released from the corruption!

JCSx2 I agree with your view of the author but this is not what the books are about, they are good stories and not at all about Killing any old god for the sake of it or just to piss Christians off, which I would find offensive to alot of people. I think its hard to judge a book that the majority of people haven't read, and wanted to clarify what it is really about.

Thank you again JCSx2 ... more views welcome!
The author has made it quite clear himself that the books are about rejecting God. He wrote it aggressively towards making atheism more palatable.
Typhoon
Acquainted Member

Post by Typhoon »

Hi again

Yes that is true, I have read very religious books aimed at converting people and historical books that take a very religious angle, Do you guys feel a message to all Christians to boycott the movie a little extream, maybe they should watch it and then conclude? or say ... I dont like the views but a good story after all it is a fantasy, I mean they have a talking bear, how much of the book can actually be aimed at pulling people to athisim?
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Typhoon wrote:Hi again

Yes that is true, I have read very religious books aimed at converting people and historical books that take a very religious angle, Do you guys feel a message to all Christians to boycott the movie a little extream, maybe they should watch it and then conclude? or say ... I dont like the views but a good story after all it is a fantasy, I mean they have a talking bear, how much of the book can actually be aimed at pulling people to athisim?

Again, when the message is perfectly clear from the author that he is attacking Christ, why bother watching and concluding? (And besides, it is also quite clear that the movie is terribly watered down from the book, if I was going to do anything I would read the books in order to draw a clearer picture, but again, there is no question as to the author's intent, he wrote them to kill God).

I simply refuse to reward him with money.

Talking bears does not a harmless movie make.

By the way, have you read the Narnia books? If you are interested in religious books, these are even more powerful.
Typhoon
Acquainted Member

Post by Typhoon »

I think your view is sound, zoegirl, but do you think its fair to use the power of a religious website of which I am fond of to announce a boycott? It justs feel like censorship, and most agree that's wrong? The people that kind of announcement will affect is maybe kids parents and young Christians that now think its evil, and they maybe encouraged never to read anything that goes against there views, kinda like what china do with the internet, and if people never read things because there deemed as "evil" all they will ever see is what is deemed as correct, doesn't that conclude brain washing? Do you see where Im coming from, I do not wish to offend and I don't dispute the authors views and your reasons but can you see what attacks like this can lead too?

And yes I have read the narnia books and I like them but not a big fan!
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Typhoon wrote:I think your view is sound, zoegirl, but do you think its fair to use the power of a religious website of which I am fond of to announce a boycott? It justs feel like censorship, and most agree that's wrong? The people that kind of announcement will affect is maybe kids parents and young Christians that now think its evil, and they maybe encouraged never to read anything that goes against there views, kinda like what china do with the internet, and if people never read things because there deemed as "evil" all they will ever see is what is deemed as correct, doesn't that conclude brain washing? Do you see where Im coming from, I do not wish to offend and I don't dispute the authors views and your reasons but can you see what attacks like this can lead too?

And yes I have read the narnia books and I like them but not a big fan!
Who has officially announced a boycott? !?!?

I announced my view and one other person has. Nobody here is calling for a boycott. I personally feel that we shouldn't support him financially and if others agree, great. And nobody is calling for censorship on this website. On the other hand, why should we as Christian go see a movie or read a book from someone who admittedly, aggressively, attacks our beliefs? It's not as if he is even remotely friendly towards our beliefs, or WILLING to say that CHristianity is a valid belief. Quite honestly, the author himself is the one who wants to wipe out religion and kill God. He would be completely content with his books influencing the minds of children towards atheism. And while he has the right to do this and no one is calling for censorship of his books, we also have the right to not support him. Interestingly enough, couldn't you consier his books brainwashing? He admittedly seeks to brainwash children an lead them to reject God.

Why are you not a big fan of the Narnia books?
Typhoon
Acquainted Member

Post by Typhoon »

No I would think this is brainwashing because if you read it, as long as your reading is balanced - you see and read what interests you I dont beleive anything can be brainwashing, but when views are sensored for these reasons

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/t ... movie.html <-- just one of many! Yes support with money is the argument but just doesn't feel right to announce that kind of view on people, specially people who's views maybe so easily be swung without proper consideration. To read something and conclude a view is to me a proper assessment. I see that investing money is an issue, but unfortunately everything costs something, I have seen movies which have been so bad I would never have paid in hindsight but, someone had to pay to read it, and because that someone thinks its wrong and the author is and idiot then every one should follow? I ask ... if the books or movie was free would you not see it still?

I do like Narnia, there great books and I must confess its been a while (a long while) since I read them, just wasn't really my thing I seem to remember but still excellent story, I did make the mistake of seeing the film I might add, think that may have killed it for me a little. You ZoeGirl, you like them. ... what did you think of the movie? (poor I hope) hehe!
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

The free exchange of ideas...I'm all for it, and IF the author in question shared your view, I would be less inclined to reject the books and movie. But the author has CLEARLY rejected Christianity an has no problem aggressively attacking it.

"Pullman himself admitted in a 2003 interview that "My books are about killing God" and in a 2001 interview he said he was "trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief.""

You seem to be confusing free choice in the marketplace with censorship. HE can make his movie all he wants. He can advertise it all he wants. But we also have the right to reject it and not buy his product, we also have the right to try to convince people. You have that right as well. In a free exchange, this is fair. You say that people would avoid the movie without really knowing what it is about. But I say they might go see it without understanding what it is about. (And the producers have made no bones about it, they have watered down the books to be less offensive so that people WOULD see them and perhaps buy the book).

The author is not interested in a discourse and discussing ideas. You think that this is just about discussing things? The author has made it his agenda and is not interested in a fair exchange of ideas.

What didn't you like about the narnia movie?

What is it about the Compass books that makes you like them more than the Narnia books?
Typhoon
Acquainted Member

Post by Typhoon »

You know what I think I should read the Narnia books again I was quite little 12 or something when I read them last and I did like them but then shortly after that read the fellowship of the ring and I think the Narnia books where a little dwarfed. I read Northan lights and the compassion in the book for the characters and there family's and daemons is so moving, bought my girlfriend and I nearly to tears at some points. Just such a moving book. Also quite original in the places and dimensions that its set, the deamons within the story you grow to love as much as the charecters even though they are the same, its hard to explain. I would recommend it but somehow I dont think that would work considering the previous discussion lol!

Thanks for your interest and posts Zoegirl + others, I hope I have not offended and I just seen your post in the jokes section, was only kidding! lol. Thanks again!

Typhoon
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Typhoon wrote:I Think the Northan Lights is a brilliant book and One that I really enjoyed. Was drawn to this god and science website from an article that was posted saying it was sin or evil.
I guess I don't understand... Where does the article below say that the movie is sinful or evil? Maybe ungodly, but not sinful.. On the other hand, it says that those adults associated with a God and the Magisterium are considered evil.

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/t ... movie.html
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8