Technical help

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
phiver4
Familiar Member

How do I quote a previous post?

Post by phiver4 »

Actually I am in need of some technical assistance. I have posted numerous replies but i don't understand how to include the quote from the previous writer along with that yellow box in which the quote is enclosed. Any chance of you giving me a step by step on this? Sorry, I am an Underwriter by trade and my technical skills are not the best. Thank you.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Technical help

Post by Judah »

Every so often somebody asks how to do something, such as post an image, link to another post or page or website, or quote a previous post, etc.

If you have that kind of question, ask it here so that others may help you with the answer you need.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Re: How do I quote a previous post?

Post by Judah »

phiver4 wrote:Actually I am in need of some technical assistance. I have posted numerous replies but i don't understand how to include the quote from the previous writer along with that yellow box in which the quote is enclosed. Any chance of you giving me a step by step on this? Sorry, I am an Underwriter by trade and my technical skills are not the best. Thank you.
phiver4, to the far right of the post that you wish to quote you will find a clickable button that has an rectangular shaped outline with the word "quote" inside it.
Simply click on that button and a "post a reply" form will appear for you to write in. The post you wish to quote will be entered in that reply form automatically. You will see it inside the [ quote ] and [ /quote ] tags. Don't remove those tags. Just add you own message below those words as I have done with your post above.
phiver4
Familiar Member

Re: Technical help

Post by phiver4 »

Thank you very much Judah for showing me how to do this.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Technical help

Post by Judah »

Some further points about using the "quote" feature...

It isn't always necessary to quote a post, especially if it is sitting there directly above your own. Used unneccessarily can make the dialogue heavy and ponderous to wade through... especially when you get multiple quotes within quotes within quotes way back to Adam as a result of that.

If the wording matters for reason of debate, that you want to be sure it is not edited later by the one who posted it (in which case an "edited" comment appears anyway if someone else has posted since) then it can become an issue where quoting matters.
Or if the post about which you want to comment is further back, or even on another page, then there is justification for quoting.

Had you noticed that you can edit the content of the quote as well? If it is a long one and only a part of it is relevant to what you have to say, you can delete all but the sentence or paragraph to which your posts intends to refer. However, it is wise to use the word "...{clip}..." to indicate that you have done so, and be very careful to keep the context as the writer intended it.

Notice the line of clickable buttons directly above the reply area? The fourth one from the left can be used to enclose your words in the form of a quote. Simply highlight the words that you want to appear that way, then click on that "quote" button. Your words will appear within the opening and closing "quote" tags. This is useful if you are quoting text from another website, or source, and do not want them to be confused as your own words... in which case, a reference and preferably a link to source is usually a very good idea.

You can also edit the quoted text to separate it into smaller pieces with your own response to each part in between them. Study the way the tags ( [ quote ] and [ /quote ] ) are used to see how this can be done. Note that they are always used in pairs. There must be no gaps between the word "quote" and the square brackets that contain it. I have placed gaps in the previous sentence only to stop them working in that case. Gaps will stop them from working. They can be typed in manually without using one of the buttons and will still work just as well.