does the law take things to far and too seriously?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Deborah
Christian: No

does the law take things to far and too seriously?

Post by Deborah »

Girls sued for delivering cookies
Friday, February 4, 2005 Posted: 2115 GMT (0515 HKT)
DURANGO, Colorado (AP) -- Two teenage girls who surprised their neighbors with homemade cookies late one night were ordered to pay nearly $900 in medical bills for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

Judge Doug Walker declined Thursday to award punitive damages, saying he did not believe the girls acted maliciously.

Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, 18, baked the chocolate chip and sugar cookies one night last July.

They made packages with a half-dozen cookies each and added large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, "Have a great night."

The notes were signed with their first initials: "Love, The T and L Club."

Then they set off to make their deliveries.

Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she was at her rural home south of Durango around 10:30 p.m. when she said saw "shadowy figures" outside the house banging repeatedly on her door.

She yelled, "Who's there?" but no one answered, and the figures ran away.

Frightened, she spent the night at her sister's home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking and had an upset stomach.

The teenagers' families offered to pay Young's medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.

The girls declined comment after the ruling. Taylor's mother said the girl "cried and cried."

"She felt she was being punished for doing something nice," Jill Ostergaard said.

Young said the teenagers showed "very poor judgment"

"The victory wasn't sweet," Young said. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

link found here http://edition.cnn.com/2005/LAW/02/04/c ... index.html

I think this is a bit off, thought courts would have better things to do with their time!
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I saw this earlier. For some reason, I assumed it was in Florida, because all the stupid crap happens there.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Here's a follow-up:

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGN ... 89c01ca7bf

Apparently, the old lady has been recieving death threats. lol
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Mastermind wrote: Apparently, the old lady has been recieving death threats. lol
that is not really funny!
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

It is. Nobody is really gonna kill her. It's probably just kids making prank calls.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

got a thought for you.
This lady was afraid so she went to her sisters to spend the night.If she was so afraid why did she not call the Police? normally when people are afraid they don't leave the house.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I'm wondering how come she didn't see the cookies when she left. Sounds suspicious...
hermitville101
Recognized Member

Post by hermitville101 »

Sounds to me like there are just a few too many stupid people in the world. But then I'm biased. <shrug>
Joel Freeman
Familiar Member

Post by Joel Freeman »

Haha, this happened about an hour away from where I live. I heard all about it. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that it happened, and it makes me glad that I'm moving out of this state pretty soon.