Tool

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Christian: No

Tool

Post by SUGAAAAA »

does anyone like them?

Im am quite fond of their music, though I absolutely dont share the same beliefs as them....

Anyone remember a while back, about Maynard Keenan (singer of Tool) finding Jesus?

Well, it was an April Fool's joke :roll:
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

I don't listen to TOOL mainly because of that sole factor. Not to mention that I don't get very moved by their style.

Give me L'Arc~en~Ciel anyday. :\
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

have you ever listened to them?
roysr
Familiar Member

Re: Tool

Post by roysr »

SUGAAAAA wrote:does anyone like them?

Im am quite fond of their music, though I absolutely dont share the same beliefs as them....
Beeing that I play drums in real life, I am a fan of Danny Carey's drumming on the Tool albums, but I kind of ignore or "block out" the lyrics when I listen to them. Danny is easily the most talented drummer I have heard in "pop music". He is extremely creative, is constantly playing odd and changing meters and he even incorporates polyrythmns (one of the more difficult things to play on a drumset) into some of their songs. With that said, their lyrics are pretty nasty (mainly on aenima and undertow but not so much on lateralus) and they aren't the type of band that I would reccomend to a Christian friend. With that said, if you are into musicianship, there are plenty of bands/musicians out there that release top notch material with FAR less offensive lyrics (Dream theater for example) and there are even a few Christian artists in the "prog" genre as well (Neal Morse for example).

As far as their beliefs go, other then them probably beeing agnostic and Maynard beeing a liberal (Maynard jumped on the anti-Bush bandwagon late last year hehe) who knows what they believe in. See my response below for some reasons...

Anyone remember a while back, about Maynard Keenan (singer of Tool) finding Jesus?

Well, it was an April Fool's joke :roll:
Well Maynard/Tool has a long history of playing jokes like that on the fans. They at one point spread the rumour that they were into a philosophy/religion called Lachrymology (supposedly the study of crying) but it turned out to be a big joke as well.

Also, they even pull pranks with some of their songs on the albums. For example, the song "Die Eier Von Satan" is in German and sounds incredibly evil. The funny thing is, when the fans translated it, they found that the song lyrics are just a recipe for a certain type of cookie.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

Yes I have heard Danny plays some of the most complex stuff ever.

I really love Justin though, surely my favorite bassist and has written some excellent basslines... especially in Schism and 46 & 2. and in Aenema too :)

I thought that Lachrymology thing was true, and how they got their name. i guess not :?

I agree sometimes that the lyrics are a bit 'out there'. Though they dont really bother me, but Im not to good with their anti-God/Christianity message. But that stuff was mostly in their 1st two albums, and I dont listen to those much. But I really do love their music though, Aenema is easily one of my favorite, if not, my favorite album ever.
As far as their beliefs go, other then them probably beeing agnostic and Maynard beeing a liberal (Maynard jumped on the anti-Bush bandwagon late last year hehe) who knows what they believe in.
Im assuming, from their song Third Eye, they have beliefs related to "life is only I dream, were an imagination of ourselves" sort of stuff (related to multiverse theory, alternate realities, string theory, things like that).

"Die Eier Von Satan"

Message To Harry Manback is my favorite filler song on there :D
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
roysr
Familiar Member

Post by roysr »

In case you haven't heard it yet SUGAAAAA, here is a link to the new Tool single from their new album which will be released in May...

http://www.distortiononline.com/Tool_Vicar_Full.mp3

They are going to start playing it on the radio today so that is why the website has it up. Some pretty impressive drumming from Danny to say the least, it seems he has been practicing hehe.
Blacknad
Recognized Member

Post by Blacknad »

An incredible band.

Stuff like this is problematic though:

Musically, "Undertow" is kind of like Tool's third album, 1996's "Aenima," but it's more subtle because this album's guitar riffs don't roar or explode as much. Lyrically, subjects such as sex, loss of innocence, and (of course) religion are covered. It's my opinion that "Prison Sex" is about Jesus having sex with his disciples (according to Maynard), and "Sober" seems to be saying that Jesus was a lying party animal who drank too much.

Shame :(

Blacknad.
Blacknad
Recognized Member

Post by Blacknad »

and Maynard beeing a liberal (Maynard jumped on the anti-Bush bandwagon late last year hehe)

Ah! Not all bad then ;)

Blacknad.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

that's a weird opinion. Its the first time I heard of that as well, I know Tool talks about Jesus a bit in a song but I dont think their songs were about what you mentioned. I always thought of "Prison Sex" as a song about child abuse, prehaps related to Maynard as a child, I dont know. And Sober I think of as a love song. Of course, all of their songs are open to interpretation, and I think thats what the band intended. Who knows what the band's meanings of their songs are.

Also, thanks roysr for linking to the song, its cool. I heard the album has been leaked, but I'll wait till it comes out and then buy it. Will any of you be getting it (10,000 Days)?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
Blacknad
Recognized Member

Post by Blacknad »

Hi Sugaaaa,

I looked at the lyrics to those songs and to be fair, I couldn't see any link to Jesus and sex. I think it's just one of the many urban myths about the group.

I downloaded 10000 days for a listen and I think it is a ground breaking album. Hasn't been well received by some of the fans who have heard it. It is more experimental - one fan said it is their Amnesiac and I would probably agree. It will turn some fans off but will gain a lot more. They are relatively unheard of in the UK, but I think this album will change that and bring them to mainstream attention.

I will buy the album when it comes out, I've listened to it a couple of times now and I think it is absolutely amazing.

They are playing a date in the UK in July at the Download Festival and me and my wife are very tempted to go for the day to see them. I think they will be awesome live.

Blacknad.
madscientist
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Tool

Post by madscientist »

Ya i listen to random stuff i find and Tool is some of it. None of my favorite but why if it isnt bad then why not lsten to it? Like i do with other random stuff. ANd i dont concentrate on the lyrics a lot so i quite dont kno wat they sing about. But not an awful band i must say. When i haerd first song i ad i said awful now its like wow quite good...
depends on my mood like everyhing,.