Hello from Blob

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Hi Blob!

Welcome to the forums.

All this love is making me jeolous maybe I should introduce myself as well.
=P
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Hi Blob!

Welcome to the forums.

All this love is making me jeolous maybe I should introduce myself as well.
=P
Oh, there, there! Welcome to you too BGood (even though you've been around here longer than I have).
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Missing responses moved to new topic: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 7607#17607

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Thanks Kurieuo, great idea.

And any on topic questions in this thread would be more than welcome.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Can I ask you a question?

Why did you pick "Blob" for a name?
It doesn't seem very polite, me calling you Blob! :shock:
:lol:
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

lol

I just made it up on the spot as I was registering for mirc about a year ago. People often comment on it. Someone said when I log in the chat they think of the dentist - like "blob" is the soft noise a tooth makes being pulled out. Urgh!

But it can also be cute. I call my girlfriend's springy afro-hair her "blob" and she likes it.

I guess some people might think I'm fat with a name like that but as it happens I'm not at all. I just think it's a funny name.

While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

OK, I'll make a special exception just for you and put aside my cultural conditioning (I was very well brought up, you see!) and not think of it as being rude. :lol:
But I'm not sure that I like the thought of the "soft noise" of a tooth being pulled everytime I see your name on my monitor. Oh dear. :shock:
I'll just think of you in terms of that koala instead. :)
Mind you, the image of a teapot cruising around in space is quite interesting too...
Last edited by Judah on Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I had a tooth pulled recently! It's usually more of a crack than a "blog" sound, although I'm not really sure what a blob sounds like? I think more of Slimer from Ghost Busters or something...
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

A crack! :shock:

Oh no, I'm outta here!
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Btw I meant "blob" not "blog" (obviously) in may last post. :oops:

Kurieuo
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

Kurieuo wrote::lol:

Kurieuo
You're losing it, K. Must be Blob's koala having a sentimental fuzzy effect on you. :lol:
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Kurieuo wrote:I had a tooth pulled recently! It's usually more of a crack than a "blog" sound

I did wonder whose blog you've been reading that is so awful it's like having a tooth extracted! :lol:
- Vygotsky
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

thinker wrote:I still question why you are here, you haven't answered my questions in other threads.
Original post.
In various posts Blob wrote: I'm not religious and never have been. But recently I have been more often in the company of religious people and have even found myself dragged to church through social obligation. As such am interested in "researching" what christians are like. (I mean christians as opposed to christianity, if you see what I mean. For the latter I can just read websites and books.)

I'm afraid I've no interest in becoming religious myself but you will find I am polite and courteous if you give me a chance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for opening up, that was an interesting post Thinker. In fact this is the sort of insight I came to this forum for. In "real" life it can be difficult to probe people's religious beliefs because you risk causing offense. On-line the anonymity seems to help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum up, this atheist is interested in a religious forum for two reasons:

1. I share a passion for asking the big questions and musing on answers and hearing what others think AND hearing what others think of my thoughts.

2. I am increasingly surrounded by religious people. But in real life it can be diificult to probe people's thoughts or ask them 'challenging' questions without causing offense. I hope here that I can, but that remains to be seen.
- Vygotsky
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Blob wrote:
thinker wrote:I still question why you are here, you haven't answered my questions in other threads.
Original post.
In various posts Blob wrote: I'm not religious and never have been. But recently I have been more often in the company of religious people and have even found myself dragged to church through social obligation. As such am interested in "researching" what christians are like. (I mean christians as opposed to christianity, if you see what I mean. For the latter I can just read websites and books.)

I'm afraid I've no interest in becoming religious myself but you will find I am polite and courteous if you give me a chance.

Thank you for opening up, that was an interesting post Thinker. In fact this is the sort of insight I came to this forum for. In "real" life it can be difficult to probe people's religious beliefs because you risk causing offense. On-line the anonymity seems to help.

1. I share a passion for asking the big questions and musing on answers and hearing what others think AND hearing what others think of my thoughts.

2. I am increasingly surrounded by religious people. But in real life it can be diificult to probe people's thoughts or ask them 'challenging' questions without causing offense. I hope here that I can, but that remains to be seen.
Fine, you like being here, but what accomplishment do you tend to make being here? What are you going to get from this forum if you ARE NOT going to sway and be more open to religion? You say you want to "research" what Christians are like, why? How is this going to make you any different? Also, why ask questions if you already hold the answers to YOUR beliefs? What REALLY is the point of you being here besides asking questions, refusing to be open to religion, and "researching" Christians (which is what Christianity produces)? By research, you seem to think like you are trying to write up a book on Christians. I don't get it, I just don't.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Thinker wrote:
Blob wrote:
Original post.

Fine, you like being here, but what accomplishment do you tend to make being here? What are you going to get from this forum if you ARE NOT going to sway and be more open to religion? You say you want to "research" what Christians are like, why? How is this going to make you any different? Also, why ask questions if you already hold the answers to YOUR beliefs? What REALLY is the point of you being here besides asking questions, refusing to be open to religion, and "researching" Christians (which is what Christianity produces)? By research, you seem to think like you are trying to write up a book on Christians. I don't get it, I just don't.
Maybe to converse with Christians to have a better understanding of our Faith or His Mothers Faith. To me it is a non-issue.