Romans 7:9

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

What does Paul mean when he said he was 'alive' before the law?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Romans 7:9

Post by RickD »

I’ve been trying to think of a good answer to this, but I’m not confident enough to be able to reply yet.

Very good question!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Thanks Rick.
I have researched it a bit but there's differing opinions. Some say it indicates the age of accountability but that doesn't seem right to me.

If Paul was 'alive' before he was aware of the law, then does he think God would not impute his sins to him before he became aware? Hmmmm.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Waiting for Phillip's looooong detailed response as well :P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:46 pm Thanks Rick.
I have researched it a bit but there's differing opinions. Some say it indicates the age of accountability but that doesn't seem right to me.

If Paul was 'alive' before he was aware of the law, then does he think God would not impute his sins to him before he became aware? Hmmmm.
I also read an age of accountability explanation. The writer even said that before the age of accountability, Paul had eternal life. Then when he reached the age of accountability, he was aware of his sins, then sometime later, perhaps on the road to Damascus, Paul “regained” eternal life. That really doesn’t sit well with me.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I think this link gives the best explanation that I’ve read so far.

"Once" refers to the time before Paul was confronted with God’s law, the time before the commandment came. "Alive" carries the meaning of undisturbed, unconvicted, not realizing the great death sentence that he was under. Everything seemed fine (like the person with the dirty face who has not yet looked into the mirror. Everything seems fine but it is not fine. The problem is there even though I don’t realize it yet). "Sin revived" means "sin came to life again, lived again" (it’s a word used of resurrection). The commandment revives sin and resurrects sin (just as the snake is suddenly aroused to life). "I died"—I suddenly realize that I’m a law breaker and law breakers deserve death! Thus the law is called "the ministration of death" and "the ministration of condemnation" (2 Cor. 3:7,9). God’s holy law convicts and "slays" the sinner!

-Edward R Murrow

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Nessa wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:09 am What does Paul mean when he said he was 'alive' before the law?
Some possible thoughts...
Once I was alive apart from the law
I think Paul is telling us that before he was aware of the law, he was alive physically and that is all he knew or cared about.
but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life
But when Paul became aware of God's commandments, he (like all of mankind) chose to sin.
and I died.
And when Paul chose to disobey God's commandments and sin, he died spiritually, and became aware of his spiritual state.
Smith21
BANNED
Christian: No

Post by Smith21 »

Nessa wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:09 am What does Paul mean when he said he was 'alive' before the law?
spam link deleted by moderator
What you want to say , can you clear your point.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Smith21 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:57 am
spam link deleted by moderator
What you want to say , can you clear your point.
Please don't add to what I say when you quote me. E.g the link.
Armyman
Recognized Member

Post by Armyman »

Nessa wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:46 pm Thanks Rick.

Everyone has eternal life in their first several years. Jesus even said to the apostles to not hinder the young children, but let them come to Jesus, after all they have the keys to the kingdom, as it belongs to such as those, to paraphrase.
I have to read it again, but it seems to be what Paul is saying. Why would ones in the womb, babies, young children and the real handicapped, at least those for most of their life, ho to he'll? They more or less don't know different.