New Poster Asking Why God Created Hell

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

New Poster Asking Why God Created Hell

Post by Philip »

This was re-posted here - I'm sure there's probably an easier way to do it.
Truth: why god created hell
That's a great question, Truth - a lot of unbelievers ask this. But first, why do think a person would ever find themselves in Hell to begin with - do you understand the reason why?
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: New Poster Asking Why God Created Hell

Post by Stu »

Hell is a temporary place anyway isn't it?

The final destination of the devil, the fallen angels, demons and people who don't come to Jesus is the lake of fire.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

Hell is the current prison that will be cast into the lake of fire, yes, and the lake of fire will be worse than hell. Hell was originally created for the fallen angels to go to a place separate from God, which is what they wanted. God created a place where he doesn't exist and it turns out, life without God is hell. God gives humanity a simple out through his Son Jesus Christ, without which all humanity would have been damned to hell along with the fallen angels. Accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and savior prevents you from going there.

Here are some benefits we get with God that will be removed in hell.

-life and water: absent in hell
-peace: absent in hell, replaced with fear
-meaning: absent in hell
-love: absent in hell
-light: absent in hell, unless from the flames? hrm
-community: absent in hell

In addition to being without these attributes, God's wrath is poured out on hell as fire, and the torment is increased by knowing you'll never get out of there, ever.

For those in hell we'll say, "they did it to themselves."
The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

claysmithr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm Hell is the current prison that will be cast into the lake of fire, yes, and the lake of fire will be worse than hell.
I think most people think of the lake of fire as Hell. So I guess the question would be; why did God create the lake of fire? Why not just let those who don't want to be with God just be separated from him?
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Kenny: So I guess the question would be; why did God create the lake of fire? Why not just let those who don't want to be with God just be separated from him?
The Biblical answer is, because God isn't only a loving God that forgives - He's also a just God whom also punishes and holds people accountable. Of course, people COULD have forgiveness - and He wants to give it - but He won't force Himself on anyone. People in Hell don't suddenly see the evil of their ways and desire to turn to and love God - no, they desire God not one bit and continue in their determined rejection - though they do want to escape the punishment. As far as letting people just be separated from God, when they could have His love, peace and wonders, instead - well, that SELF-caused separation IS punishment, in comparison to what they could have had!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:33 pm
claysmithr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm Hell is the current prison that will be cast into the lake of fire, yes, and the lake of fire will be worse than hell.
I think most people think of the lake of fire as Hell. So I guess the question would be; why did God create the lake of fire? Why not just let those who don't want to be with God just be separated from him?
Asking why God wouldn’t let those who don’t want to be with Him just be separated from Him, is like asking if God could create a rock so big that He couldn’t lift it.

It’s nonsense. God is omnipresent. He cannot create a way for someone to exist outside of His presence.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:22 am
Asking why God wouldn’t let those who don’t want to be with Him just be separated from Him, is like asking if God could create a rock so big that He couldn’t lift it.

It’s nonsense. God is omnipresent. He cannot create a way for someone to exist outside of His presence.
The person I was responding to said:

Hell was originally created for the fallen angels to go to a place separate from God, which is what they wanted. God created a place where he doesn't exist and it turns out, life without God is hell

So it seems this view contradicts omnipresence.
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Philip wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:11 pm
Kenny: So I guess the question would be; why did God create the lake of fire? Why not just let those who don't want to be with God just be separated from him?
The Biblical answer is, because God isn't only a loving God that forgives - He's also a just God whom also punishes and holds people accountable. Of course, people COULD have forgiveness - and He wants to give it - but He won't force Himself on anyone. People in Hell don't suddenly see the evil of their ways and desire to turn to and love God - no, they desire God not one bit and continue in their determined rejection - though they do want to escape the punishment. As far as letting people just be separated from God, when they could have His love, peace and wonders, instead - well, that SELF-caused separation IS punishment, in comparison to what they could have had!
If the self-caused separation is punishment, why the lake of fire?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:58 pm
RickD wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:22 am

The person I was responding to said:

Hell was originally created for the fallen angels to go to a place separate from God, which is what they wanted. God created a place where he doesn't exist and it turns out, life without God is hell

So it seems this view contradicts omnipresence.
Yes, I agree.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I would say that hell/lake of fire is eternal separation from God’s Grace, and eternal separation from a relationship with God.

Heaven is an eternal relationship with God. Hell is an eternity of loneliness without a relationship with God.

If you want to get the picture of hell, think of the worst emotional pain you can imagine, and think of that multiplied by infinity, and that is for eternity.

If you want to think of Heaven, think of the most loving, beautiful thing you could possibly imagine, and that doesn’t even come close to what eternal life will be like.

1 Corinthians 2:9
Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

People act as if they believe in a caricature of hell's separation from God, that it would be like hanging out and drinking beer with their buddies who all think like they do without the religious hangups. But Christianity is different than ANY religion - and, in fact, is not a religion whatsoever!
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Philip wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:22 pm People act as if they believe in a caricature of hell's separation from God, that it would be like hanging out and drinking beer with their buddies who all think like they do without the religious hangups. But Christianity is different than ANY religion - and, in fact, is not a religion whatsoever!
I was kinda waitin' for you to explain how hell would be different than the caricature described
RickD wrote
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Kenny wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 pm
Philip wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:22 pm People act as if they believe in a caricature of hell's separation from God, that it would be like hanging out and drinking beer with their buddies who all think like they do without the religious hangups. But Christianity is different than ANY religion - and, in fact, is not a religion whatsoever!
I was kinda waitin' for you to explain how hell would be different than the caricature described
NT Wright has an interesting perspective on hell that is not the typical Protestant perspective.
Disclaimer - I do not necessarily agree with Wright's view, but he is an accomplished scholar so it is at least worth looking at.

Here are a couple of short videos where Wright discusses Hell.
What is Hell Like? Does it Even Exist?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vggzqXzEvZ0

Where is Hell Located?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zk31Uc_pCY