Common Atheist Myths

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Common Atheist Myths

Post by Philip »

On the home page of G&S, Rich Deem has a page of links entitled: "Common Atheist Myths" (http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... myths.html)

So, I'm curious - for those who are atheists here - which myths on the list do YOU believe? As well, which ones on the list do you not believe / not agree with?
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Common Atheist Myths

Post by Kenny »

Philip wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:16 pm On the home page of G&S, Rich Deem has a page of links entitled: "Common Atheist Myths" (http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... myths.html)

So, I'm curious - for those who are atheists here - which myths on the list do YOU believe? As well, which ones on the list do you not believe / not agree with?
I’ll take a stab at some of these questions

*There is no fine tuning of the Universe
I have no idea.

*The Universe created itself out of nothing
The idea that something came from nothing makes no sense to me

*Atheists have proven God doesn't exist
Assuming they are talking about the Christian God, This God is described in a way that makes it impossible to disprove his existence

*Religion the cause of most world problems
No; I think greed, power, and hatred are more responsible. And though much of it can come from religion, most of it doesn’t.

*Most wars the result of religious belief
I don’t know.

*Christianity a myth written by disciples
I believe Judaism and the disciples are responsible.

That's all for now, I'll respond to more later
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

So as this thread won't get too many topics going, I suggest if one desires to debate one of these topic on Rich's myth list, to start a new thread in the philosophical discussions forum (viewforum.php?f=19 link it from this thread) and link it from this thread.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

OK, in the link, I have started the first debate about the myth many atheists believe: "The resurrection was merely a myth created and spread by Jesus' disciples: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43053