Quote William Booth

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Ged
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Quote William Booth

Post by Ged »

A friend sent me this old quote. Very insightful, don't you think? Although, probably truer of the 21st century.
“The chief danger of the 20th century will be religion without the Holy Spirit, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell.”

― William Booth
Free, printable Bible studies for groups.
www.5loaves2fishes.net/free-resources
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Quote William Booth

Post by Stu »

Wow, that's pretty well spot on. He had it right.
When did William Booth live?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

That quote is applicable to every era, BCE and CE.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 am Wow, that's pretty well spot on. He had it right.
1800's-early 1900's.

Booth was the founder of The Salvation Army, and preached a false gospel of continued obedience, in order to keep salvation.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 am
Stu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 am Wow, that's pretty well spot on. He had it right.
1800's-early 1900's.

Booth was the founder of The Salvation Army, and preached a false gospel of continued obedience, in order to keep salvation.
Well I believe Once Saved Always Saved is false doctrine, so I guess I would side with Booth.

The Bible speaks of a "falling away"; to fall away from something you have to be part of it. If OSAS was true there would be no falling away.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 am
1800's-early 1900's.

Well I believe Once Saved Always Saved is false doctrine, so I guess I would side with Booth.

The Bible speaks of a "falling away"; to fall away from something you have to be part of it. If OSAS was true there would be no falling away.
Either that, or you misunderstand what falling away means, and think it means people can lose eternal life. Anyone who advocates against Once Saved Always Saved, cannot tell me how their theology fits with John 3:16. Whoever believes in Christ, has eternal life. Unless eternal means temporary, then your false gospel fails in light of John 3:16.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:49 am
Stu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:27 am
1800's-early 1900's.

Either that, or you misunderstand what falling away means, and think it means people can lose eternal life. Anyone who advocates against Once Saved Always Saved, cannot tell me how their theology fits with John 3:16. Whoever believes in Christ, has eternal life. Unless eternal means temporary, then your false gospel fails in light of John 3:16.
The mistake you are making is taking ONE verse and only using that. Jesus speaks many other times that it is present tense belief that is required, if you look up the actual Greek words.

Watch that video that I posted the other day, it's quite comprehensive.

Just as an example:

Galatians 5:19-21 New International Version (NIV)
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It's about habitual living. If you do something and repent thereof and try not to do it again then you go to heaven, but if you know that something is wrong and continue to sin over and over then your heart has not changed and you are not truly sorry for what you have done and, yes, you will not go to heaven.

Here it is again:

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote:
It's about habitual living. If you do something and repent thereof and try not to do it again then you go to heaven,...
Oh, so with your gospel, our performance is what keeps us saved. Got it!

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 am
Stu wrote:
It's about habitual living. If you do something and repent thereof and try not to do it again then you go to heaven,...
Oh, so with your gospel, our performance is what keeps us saved. Got it!
Quote-mine of note. Got it!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Stu: It's about habitual living. If you do something and repent thereof and try not to do it again then you go to heaven
Um, what if you didn't repent of something you've forgotten about? What about if you sin and a second later a lightening bolt kills you?

And the big question: WHEN, exactly, does one's salvation begin? And where?
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Philip wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am
Stu: It's about habitual living. If you do something and repent thereof and try not to do it again then you go to heaven
Um, what if you didn't repent of something you've forgotten about? What about if you sin and a second later a lightening bold kills you?

That's why you ask for forgiveness of all your sins, not just the ones you are aware of.

Did you not read my post I made it pretty clear?? It's about habitual sin, living in continual sin knowing better. Let's say you became a Christian but then backslide and start sleeping around with women every night, even though you have asked for forgiveness of that sin. God knows your heart and your deeds.

It's just as the Bible teaches - when you believe (and ask Him into your life) that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died on the cross for our sins and ask God to forgive our sins in Jesus name.

Watch that video I posted.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 am
Um, what if you didn't repent of something you've forgotten about? What about if you sin and a second later a lightening bold kills you?

That's why you ask for forgiveness of all your sins, not just the ones you are aware of.

Did you not read my post I made it pretty clear?? It's about habitual sin, living in continual sin knowing better. Let's say you became a Christian but then backslide and start sleeping around with women every night, even though you have asked for forgiveness of that sin. God knows your heart and your deeds.

It's just as the Bible teaches - when you believe (and ask Him into your life) that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died on the cross for our sins and ask God to forgive our sins in Jesus name.

You've butchered the gospel of Christ. You're saying that Christ's sacrifice doesn't cover all sins.

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 am
Stu wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 am

You've butchered the gospel of Christ. You're saying that Christ's sacrifice doesn't cover all sins.
Of course His sacrifice covers all sins, I have said that just in my very last post?! Stop putting words in my mouth.

Are you saying that you only have to ask for forgiveness of your sins ONCE and then you are forever good to go for the rest of your life? That you never have to ask for forgiveness again?????

It is you who have butchered the gospel. You take one verse and ignore a ton of other verses that expand on that verse. Grace abuse.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

If once saved always saved is incorrect, and as EVERY person continuously sins - there are some sins we are aware of and struggle against, and others we are not aware of. So, according to Stu's belief, one would require re-saving on a daily basis. And as God hates ALL sin - then, any unforgiven sin would be enough to doom a person - even those we aren't aware of. Again, there are sins we still struggle against - but nonetheless STILL commit, as the Apostle Paul notes. But did you ever see him talking about the need to be resaved? EVER? Note when he addresses the bretheren stating he had confidence that Christ would draw them all to Him on the last day - how could he have such confidence? And how could WE have any confidence we wouldn't screw up and then have a sudden heart attack and die?

Stu, how many times must I ask you - WHERE in Scripture do you see the concept of temporary ETERNAL life, or the need to repent again and be re-saved??? All you have are circumstances of people who were intially with the brethern and later fell away from that fellowship. We are never told such people had come to a saving faith in Christ. No, such people's belief was more like the devil's - as they never had a desire to commit themselves to Jesus. They just like tire-kickers or window shoppers.

I would submit to you that some people, claiming salvation, and yet deliberately and continuously, without remorse, continue to sin some of the hallmark sins that God rages across Scripture over - it's because those are indicators of a person whom has never been saved. HOWEVER, there are others who definitely have submitted to God / Christ in sincere faith and commitment, whom, for a period, or in certain situations, fall into terrible sins, but God is nonetheless faithful to forgive and restore them - why, because He has ALREADY saved them per their previous faith and commitment.

Notice, in John 21, after the Resurrection and when Peter prior to it committed the horrific sin of denying he knew Jesus (a phrase unbelievers and pagans commonly assert, though pagans commonly do so with a different phrasing - but in John 21, while the disciples were fishing, Jesus shows up. Peter must have been freaking out - deeply ashamed (and probably fearful) as he remembered the last time he had previously seen Jesus, and His stare, upon Pete's third denial: "I do not know the man" (and then the **** crowed). So, Jesus calls them all to eat breakfast with Him. Does He admonish Peter to repent again, explain what he must supposedly do so to be "re-saved," etc? NO! There are no words from Peter as Jesus puts forth no such requirement, and restores Him by showing forgiveness and future instructions. In fact, this idea that sincere, long-time believers have sinned their way to their eternal doom - it's simply not found anywhere in the New Testament!
Ged
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Ged »

I don’t mind giving credit where credit is due, when it comes to former men of God like William Booth and Charles Spurgeon, even though one was from a Wesleyan background and the other Calvinist.
Free, printable Bible studies for groups.
www.5loaves2fishes.net/free-resources