Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Post by Storyteller »

What would you call God?

Freewill.. honestly? Im not sure. That nothing is set in stone, that we make our own choices i guess.
Morality.. see? This is where i get stuck. Define morality. Is it objective or subjective.
Emotions.. yeah, i'll go with that.

I think, for me, i know that i am me, in all my weakness, all my glory and i am utterly unique yet i am one of billions.
What is it that makes so "special" so different. Why do we question?

Ken..

Can i pray for you? For God to reach out to you? Would you, genuinely, pray for the same?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Storyteller wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 pm What would you call God?
If we assume God as you believe does exist, I would have to have a complete change of heart and belief before calling him God. I believe if such a God did exist, he wouldn’t want me to call him God, he would want me to call him friend. He wouldn’t want me to worship or pray to him, just loving him and talking to him would be good enough. I believe the idea of worship is an invention that flawed humans came up with, that a perfect God would not want. In order for me to worship and call him God, I would have to be convinced he exists, and that he wants to be worshipped. The way I see it now, I think a perfect God would be much better than that.
Storyteller wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 pmFreewill.. honestly? Im not sure. That nothing is set in stone, that we make our own choices i guess.
Morality.. see? This is where i get stuck. Define morality. Is it objective or subjective.
I believe morality is the ability to understand the consequences of actions and how they affect others. And it starts from the position that what is helpful to me and others is good, and what is harmful to me and others is bad. This view of morality by definition is subjective.
How do you define morality? Objective? Subjective?
Storyteller wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 pmEmotions.. yeah, i'll go with that.

I think, for me, i know that i am me, in all my weakness, all my glory and i am utterly unique yet i am one of billions.
What is it that makes so "special" so different. Why do we question?
To recognize that; to ask those type of questions is what separates us from the monkeys!
Storyteller wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 pmKen..

Can i pray for you? For God to reach out to you? Would you, genuinely, pray for the same?
I know many of my Christian family and friends are already praying for me.
Though I won’t pray for the same, I do appreciate your good intentions.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am You know why there can ONLY be One first cause and that has to do with the attributes that a first cause MUST have, remember?
It must be PURE ACTUALITY or else something can effect cause on it.
And why can’t there be multiple eternal causes causing effect upon each other?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amIt must be Eternal and all present or else it subject to time/space.
Etc, etc.
Why can’t there be multiple that are eternal and together are all present? And what do you mean subject to time/space?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amAnd there can't be more than one because you would have to be able to distinguish between them,
What’s wrong with the ability to distinguish them?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amobviously, and that would mean that one of them is lacking something the other has and as such, can't be Pure Actuality.
And what’s wrong with that?
According to science, in particular physics, not two things can occupy the same space at the same time.
Also, according to physics, no two things can be exactly alike ( or they would be the same thing, obviously).
According to theoretical science, a thing that is pure actuality ( pure act wit no potential to be acted upon) would be not be lacking anything at all.
So, you see your problem, right?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am You know why there can ONLY be One first cause and that has to do with the attributes that a first cause MUST have, remember?
It must be PURE ACTUALITY or else something can effect cause on it.
And why can’t there be multiple eternal causes causing effect upon each other?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amIt must be Eternal and all present or else it subject to time/space.
Etc, etc.
Why can’t there be multiple that are eternal and together are all present? And what do you mean subject to time/space?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amAnd there can't be more than one because you would have to be able to distinguish between them,
What’s wrong with the ability to distinguish them?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amobviously, and that would mean that one of them is lacking something the other has and as such, can't be Pure Actuality.
And what’s wrong with that?
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAccording to science, in particular physics, not two things can occupy the same space at the same time.
If the multiple eternal things are different, of course they won’t occupy the same space and time.
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAlso, according to physics, no two things can be exactly alike ( or they would be the same thing, obviously).
If the multiple eternal things are different, of course they won’t be exactly alike
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAccording to theoretical science, a thing that is pure actuality ( pure act wit no potential to be acted upon) would be not be lacking anything at all.

If the multiple eternal things are different, to lack nothing is not necessary for each of them as long as all bases are covered by a combination of all of them
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
If the multiple eternal things are different, to lack nothing is not necessary for each of them as long as all bases are covered by a combination of all of them
Somebody wasn't paying attention in the first semester of class!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm
Kenny wrote:
There is nothing in existence that I call God.
Excellent point! I couldn't have said it better myself
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:53 pm
Kenny wrote:
You do realize that you just asserted, without evidence, that there is nothing in existence that you call God, right?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:27 am
Kenny wrote:
You do realize that you just asserted, without evidence stated as FACT, that there is nothing in existence that you call God, right?
(TIFFY)
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:26 am
Kenny wrote:
You do realize that you just asserted, without evidence stated as FACT, that there is nothing in existence that you call God, right?
(TIFFY)
You didn't fix anything. Assert means, to state as fact. So yes, you stated something as fact, without evidence.

As a materialist, all you cling to is evidence. You don't see the irony in the fact that you assert your atheistic, materialistic worldview, without a shred of evidence?

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:53 am
(TIFFY)
You didn't fix anything. Assert means, to state as fact. So yes, you stated something as fact, without evidence.

As a materialist, all you cling to is evidence. You don't see the irony in the fact that you assert your atheistic, materialistic worldview, without a shred of evidence?
Really? You don't see the evidence that I have an atheist materialistic worldview? C'mon; isn't the fact that I said it enough evidence for you?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 am

(TIFFY)

Really? You don't see the evidence that I have an atheist materialistic worldview? C'mon; isn't the fact that I said it enough evidence for you?
Aha, the old "make a joke to take the focus off of the fact that I just realized I'm wrong" trick.

Maybe now, you'll really start to think about the utter folly of your worldview.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:08 am

(TIFFY)

Aha, the old "make a joke to take the focus off of the fact that I just realized I'm wrong" trick.

Maybe now, you'll really start to think about the utter folly of your worldview.
Bruh! Think about it; to have an atheist materialistic worldview is a state of mind right? You are claiming I have no evidence that I actually have that state of mind. That would be like me claiming you have no evidence that you actually believe in God!
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:14 am
(TIFFY)

Bruh! Think about it; to have an atheist materialistic worldview is a state of mind right? You are claiming I have no evidence that I actually have that state of mind. That would be like me claiming you have no evidence that you actually believe in God!
I keep telling myself that nobody could possibly be that obtuse. Yet time after time, you show me that you CAN be that obtuse.

I can't believe I have to explain to you that you stated as fact, that God doesn't exist, without any evidence that God doesn't exist.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:24 am

I keep telling myself that nobody could possibly be that obtuse. Yet time after time, you show me that you CAN be that obtuse.

I can't believe I have to explain to you that you stated as fact, that God doesn't exist, without any evidence that God doesn't exist.
No; I never said "God doesn't exist" I said "there is nothing in existence that I call God". If we assume God does exist, I am saying I do not call him God. See the difference?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:30 am
RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:24 am

No; I never said "God doesn't exist" I said "there is nothing in existence that I call God". If we assume God does exist, I am saying I do not call him God. See the difference?
Kenny, if we assume God does exist, it doesn't matter what you call Him, He would still exist.

So, let me get this cleared up...

If you knew for the last 5 years, that I believe trees don't exist, and I made the statement, "There is nothing in existence that I call a tree." What would you think I meant?

-Edward R Murrow