Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:31 pm
RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:24 pm
Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:15 pm
RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:01 pm
RickD wrote: ↑ when you say that there's nothing in existence that you CALL God, that's the same as you ASSERTING that there's nothing in existence that IS God
kenny wrote:
No it isn’t the same. If I meant “nothing in existence that IS God” I would have said it that way.
Of course it's the same. That's why when I said that if I pointed at a tree, and asked you what do you CALL that, you replied, "I would address YOU by telling you it is a tree."
I didn't say that; I said I would tell you that it is a PICTURE of a tree, and at this point I've become convinced that trees actually exist.
Nope. I'm talking about this post of yours.
Yes! Only after becoming convinced trees exist. But before becoming convinced, there would have been nothing that I would have called a tree. This refutes nothing I've said.
I'm not trying to refute what you said. I'm trying to get you to understand the logical conclusion of your own words. In your mind, God doesn't exist. So there's nothing in existence that you call God.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:56 pm
RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Of course it's the same. That's why when I said that if I pointed at a tree, and asked you what do you CALL that, you replied, "I would address YOU by telling you it is a tree."
I didn't say that; I said I would tell you that it is a PICTURE of a tree, and at this point I've become convinced that trees actually exist.
Yes! Only after becoming convinced trees exist. But before becoming convinced, there would have been nothing that I would have called a tree. This refutes nothing I've said.
I'm not trying to refute what you said. I'm trying to get you to understand the logical conclusion of your own words. In your mind, God doesn't exist. So there's nothing in existence that you call God.
I see no logical confusion with my words, I see you reading a little too deep into what I said and misunderstanding the point I was making to the person I was talking to.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:19 pm
I see no logical confusion with my words, I see you reading a little too deep into what I said and misunderstanding the point I was making to the person I was talking to.
I said, logical conclusion. Not logical confusion.

You need to see the logical conclusion of your own words.

You asserted, without evidence, that God doesn't exist. As a materialistic atheist, you have no choice but to figuratively stand on the branch of evidence. And when you, as a materialistic atheist, assert something without evidence, you figuratively saw off the very branch you stand on.

In other words, your foundation is crumbling beneath you.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm
Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:19 pm

I said, logical conclusion. Not logical confusion.

You need to see the logical conclusion of your own words.

You asserted, without evidence, that God doesn't exist. As a materialistic atheist, you have no choice but to figuratively stand on the branch of evidence. And when you, as a materialistic atheist, assert something without evidence, you figuratively saw off the very branch you stand on.

I think Storyteller understood what I was saying that was my only intention. Anybody else listening in could feed free to ask me for clarification if they are unsure of my point
RickD wrote
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

WHAT foundation??? :lol:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 pm
Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am You know why there can ONLY be One first cause and that has to do with the attributes that a first cause MUST have, remember?
It must be PURE ACTUALITY or else something can effect cause on it.
And why can’t there be multiple eternal causes causing effect upon each other?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amIt must be Eternal and all present or else it subject to time/space.
Etc, etc.
Why can’t there be multiple that are eternal and together are all present? And what do you mean subject to time/space?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amAnd there can't be more than one because you would have to be able to distinguish between them,
What’s wrong with the ability to distinguish them?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amobviously, and that would mean that one of them is lacking something the other has and as such, can't be Pure Actuality.
And what’s wrong with that?
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAccording to science, in particular physics, not two things can occupy the same space at the same time.
If the multiple eternal things are different, of course they won’t occupy the same space and time.
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAlso, according to physics, no two things can be exactly alike ( or they would be the same thing, obviously).
If the multiple eternal things are different, of course they won’t be exactly alike
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAccording to theoretical science, a thing that is pure actuality ( pure act wit no potential to be acted upon) would be not be lacking anything at all.

If the multiple eternal things are different, to lack nothing is not necessary for each of them as long as all bases are covered by a combination of all of them
Wow, you just wrote "multiple eternal things".
Please state how you would differentiate one from the other.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:47 am
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am You know why there can ONLY be One first cause and that has to do with the attributes that a first cause MUST have, remember?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amIt must be Eternal and all present or else it subject to time/space.
Etc, etc.
Why can’t there be multiple that are eternal and together are all present? And what do you mean subject to time/space?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amAnd there can't be more than one because you would have to be able to distinguish between them,
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 amobviously, and that would mean that one of them is lacking something the other has and as such, can't be Pure Actuality.
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAccording to science, in particular physics, not two things can occupy the same space at the same time.
If the multiple eternal things are different, of course they won’t occupy the same space and time.
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAlso, according to physics, no two things can be exactly alike ( or they would be the same thing, obviously).
If the multiple eternal things are different, of course they won’t be exactly alike
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 amAccording to theoretical science, a thing that is pure actuality ( pure act wit no potential to be acted upon) would be not be lacking anything at all.

If the multiple eternal things are different, to lack nothing is not necessary for each of them as long as all bases are covered by a combination of all of them
Imagine 2 rocks that have existed eternally. How would you distinguish one from the other?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:15 pm
Etc, etc.

Imagine 2 rocks that have existed eternally. How would you distinguish one from the other?
Kenny,

For something to exist eternally, it must be unchanging. Are rocks unchanging?

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Kenny,

How do you know something eternal can't be in a constant state of change?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Kenny,

We went over this before. Were you not paying attention? Anything that is changing, is caused by something else. Which leads logically back to the unmoved mover.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Kenny,

We went over this before. Were you not paying attention? Anything that is changing, is caused by something else. Which leads logically back to the unmoved mover.
That's only if we assume a single eternal object. If multiple eternal objects, they can in theory act upon each other thus be in a constant state of change.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:39 pm
Kenny,

That's only if we assume a single eternal object. If multiple eternal objects, they can in theory act upon each other thus be in a constant state of change.
No Kenny. We don't assume a single eternal "object". Logic dictates one, and only one. But if you were paying attention when we went over this before, you'd know this.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Kenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Kenny,

No Kenny. We don't assume a single eternal "object". Logic dictates one, and only one.
Okay.... so I guess because you say it, that must make it true; right? We're never going to agree on this; I've explained it to you every way I know, and you keep insisting there can only be one! I don't know what else to tell ya.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
I don't know what else to tell ya.
Tell me, and others that have spent time having discussions with you, how you actually understand what is put forth to you, before you just dismiss what is said, solely because you don't like the implications.

Put forth logical reasons for what you're saying. Make us understand that we're not wasting our time explaining things to you, only to have you dismiss them out of hand.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:02 am
Kenny wrote:
I don't know what else to tell ya.
Tell me, and others that have spent time having discussions with you, how you actually understand what is put forth to you, before you just dismiss what is said, solely because you don't like the implications.

Put forth logical reasons for what you're saying. Make us understand that we're not wasting our time explaining things to you, only to have you dismiss them out of hand.
This “uncaused cause” argument always leads to the same place. We both agree at least one thing had to have always existed, but you guys always insist it could ONLY be one (because of your agenda) while I insist the possibility of more than one. I see no reason why it can’t be more than one and you guys always insist it can only be one. Even today, your last explanation was “logic says there can only be one” well that’s your logic, my logic tells me otherwise.
A couple months from now, I’m sure this will come up again, and you guys will insist we’ve gone over it before, you guys will insist you’ve given me the answer and I refuse to learn, you guys will insist I just dismiss what you guys are saying because I don’t like the implications; and so on and so on
Well I hate to break it to ya, but “logic says there can only be one” is not a reasonable explanation for me because logic does not tell ME there can only be one. So I’m sure this one will end like all the others ended (usually with a meme of someone preforming the “face palm”) until we meet again (probably a few weeks from now) to beat this dead horse again.
RickD wrote