What Makes Human Beings Special?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:19 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#46

Post by EssentialSacrifice » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Kenny wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:25 am
claysmithr wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 pm
How about being created in the image of God? No other creature is.
If being created in the image of God is what makes us superior/special compared to animals, suppose we discovered intelligent life on a distant planet, and they looked much different from us; does this mean we are entitled to treat them as inferior to us; perhaps the way we would treat an animal since we are created in God's image, but they are not?
I find this strange, Ken. After all this time on these boards ... are you saying that our physical image is the "us" created in the image of God? Surely someone sometime spoke here of God is pure spirit. He has no face ... there is no relationship between our physical image and the spirit that is God. We are made in His image by His gift of a holy spirititualized soul . Our resemblance of him is purely spiritual.

That being the case, if another sentient being should be found in this universe, they also would be the children of God. Now, how we treat our equals is another story all together ... reference the black man in America 1600-1800, the Japanese Americans interned in camps in WWII ... that list is endless...
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#47

Post by Kenny » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 pm

claysmithr wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:21 pm
Kenny wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:18 pm
RickD wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:10 pm
Kenny wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:04 pm
claysmithr wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:40 pm


I believe, if there are other worlds, there is no way we can access them, so this question is moot.
We have already accessed other worlds; or are you one of those type who believe the Moon landing was fake, but Big time Wrestling is real.... y/:]
He was responding to what you said about discovering intelligent life on a distant planet.

Unless you are suggesting that the moon is what you had in mind when you mentioned "distant planets", then this is also a moot point.
We’ve accessed Mars and Venus as well. Though we haven’t found anything, who’s to say sometime in the future we won’t find a planet that does have intelligent life? What’s to stop us from accessing them?
Distance, space is big.
At one time distance prevented us from accessing Mars and Venus, but eventually we got there. Whose to say what the future holds. I can understand if you don't want to answer the question though.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#48

Post by Kenny » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:52 pm

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:23 pm
Kenny wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:25 am
claysmithr wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 pm
How about being created in the image of God? No other creature is.
If being created in the image of God is what makes us superior/special compared to animals, suppose we discovered intelligent life on a distant planet, and they looked much different from us; does this mean we are entitled to treat them as inferior to us; perhaps the way we would treat an animal since we are created in God's image, but they are not?
I find this strange, Ken. After all this time on these boards ... are you saying that our physical image is the "us" created in the image of God? Surely someone sometime spoke here of God is pure spirit. He has no face ... there is no relationship between our physical image and the spirit that is God. We are made in His image by His gift of a holy spirititualized soul . Our resemblance of him is purely spiritual.
I like your answer. I can only accept it as your answer not his because I realize you guys don’t agree on everything; perhaps this is something he wouldn’t agree with you on.
BTW if I remember correctly, there is a scripture where it says no man is able to see God’s face and live. I believe there was also an incident where Moses wanted to see God, but God used his hand to cover Moses face as he passed by, but removed his hand so Moses was able to see his back side as he walked by.
So it appears God has a face, a hand, and a back side to say the least; and the person I was discussing with was very clear, man is the only creature created in Gods image. Obviously room for debate here.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 842
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:19 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#49

Post by EssentialSacrifice » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 am

Ken: So it appears God has a face, a hand, and a back side

That is exactly correct Ken, He appears to ...

I have included an article that shows many, even all the ways Go has manifested himself to man. He is pure spirit capable of anything, and usually does make the effort to keep us calm in his presence. Thereby, perhaps in Moses instance, God knew he needed a calming influence during a highly energized encounter so presented a "human" countenance.

http://halfshekel.com/one/godhead2.html

apologies for breaking-in to your conversation, I wanted to be sure you got the right reference for "in God's image".

ps; Exodus 33-20 ...
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#50

Post by Kenny » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:42 am

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 am
Ken: So it appears God has a face, a hand, and a back side

That is exactly correct Ken, He appears to ...

I have included an article that shows many, even all the ways Go has manifested himself to man. He is pure spirit capable of anything, and usually does make the effort to keep us calm in his presence. Thereby, perhaps in Moses instance, God knew he needed a calming influence during a highly energized encounter so presented a "human" countenance.

http://halfshekel.com/one/godhead2.html

apologies for breaking-in to your conversation, I wanted to be sure you got the right reference for "in God's image".

ps; Exodus 33-20 ...
Don't assume that because I'm discussing with someone else that I wouldn't want to have the same conversation with you also; as far as I'm concerned, in these type of discussions; the more the merrier; I invite whatever input you might have.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21162
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#51

Post by RickD » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 am

Kenny wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:42 am
EssentialSacrifice wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 am
Ken: So it appears God has a face, a hand, and a back side

That is exactly correct Ken, He appears to ...

I have included an article that shows many, even all the ways Go has manifested himself to man. He is pure spirit capable of anything, and usually does make the effort to keep us calm in his presence. Thereby, perhaps in Moses instance, God knew he needed a calming influence during a highly energized encounter so presented a "human" countenance.

http://halfshekel.com/one/godhead2.html

apologies for breaking-in to your conversation, I wanted to be sure you got the right reference for "in God's image".

ps; Exodus 33-20 ...
Don't assume that because I'm discussing with someone else that I wouldn't want to have the same conversation with you also; as far as I'm concerned, in these type of discussions; the more the merrier; I invite whatever input you might have.
Kenny,

Does the ability to misuse semicolons make you special?
:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#52

Post by Kenny » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:43 am

RickD wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 am
Kenny wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:42 am
EssentialSacrifice wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 am
Ken: So it appears God has a face, a hand, and a back side

That is exactly correct Ken, He appears to ...

I have included an article that shows many, even all the ways Go has manifested himself to man. He is pure spirit capable of anything, and usually does make the effort to keep us calm in his presence. Thereby, perhaps in Moses instance, God knew he needed a calming influence during a highly energized encounter so presented a "human" countenance.

http://halfshekel.com/one/godhead2.html

apologies for breaking-in to your conversation, I wanted to be sure you got the right reference for "in God's image".

ps; Exodus 33-20 ...
Don't assume that because I'm discussing with someone else that I wouldn't want to have the same conversation with you also; as far as I'm concerned, in these type of discussions; the more the merrier; I invite whatever input you might have.
Kenny,

Does the ability to misuse semicolons make you special?
:pound:
Oh C'mon RickD! What's the use of being "Obtuse Kenny" if you can't do something ridicule's every now and then; right??? (LOL) 8-}2
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

sridharramesh
Newbie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 11:47 pm
Christian: No
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#53

Post by sridharramesh » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:13 am

Humanity itself is a dignity." Immanuel Kant sought a univer-sal human dignity with his respect for persons.
1.His highprincipled claim continues, endorsed by the nations of the Earth, in the Preamble to the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights: "[R]ecognition of the inherent dignity...of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice, and peace in the world. 2.Such dignity is a core concept getting at what is distinctively human, commanding special moral attention. Our dignity figures in our personal identity, first at basic levels, where dignity is inalienable and common to us all, and further at developmental levels, where dignity can be achieved or lost, recognized or withheld. A person who has "lost his dignity" behaviorally is not thereby a person whom we can treat as without dignity in the native entitlement sense. A person's dignity resides in his or her biologically and socially constructed psychosomatic self with an idiographic proper-named identity. https://docsbay.net/human-uniqueness-an ... of-persons

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8257
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 618 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#54

Post by Philip » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:45 am

Siridharramesh: Humanity itself is a dignity." Immanuel Kant sought a univer-sal human dignity with his respect for persons.
1.His highprincipled claim continues, endorsed by the nations of the Earth, in the Preamble to the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights: "[R]ecognition of the inherent dignity...of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice, and peace in the world. 2.Such dignity is a core concept getting at what is distinctively human, commanding special moral attention. Our dignity figures in our personal identity, first at basic levels, where dignity is inalienable and common to us all, and further at developmental levels, where dignity can be achieved or lost, recognized or withheld. A person who has "lost his dignity" behaviorally is not thereby a person whom we can treat as without dignity in the native entitlement sense. A person's dignity resides in his or her biologically and socially constructed psychosomatic self with an idiographic proper-named identity. https://docsbay.net/human-uniqueness-an ... of-persons
No, what makes a person special is that we are each made in the image of God. It's why killing another human except out of defense is murder. It's why it's fine to eat a hamburger but that cannibalism is a horrific evil. Only humans are special, in this sacred sense!

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#55

Post by Kenny » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:12 pm

Philip wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:45 am
Siridharramesh: Humanity itself is a dignity." Immanuel Kant sought a univer-sal human dignity with his respect for persons.
1.His highprincipled claim continues, endorsed by the nations of the Earth, in the Preamble to the United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights: "[R]ecognition of the inherent dignity...of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice, and peace in the world. 2.Such dignity is a core concept getting at what is distinctively human, commanding special moral attention. Our dignity figures in our personal identity, first at basic levels, where dignity is inalienable and common to us all, and further at developmental levels, where dignity can be achieved or lost, recognized or withheld. A person who has "lost his dignity" behaviorally is not thereby a person whom we can treat as without dignity in the native entitlement sense. A person's dignity resides in his or her biologically and socially constructed psychosomatic self with an idiographic proper-named identity. https://docsbay.net/human-uniqueness-an ... of-persons
No, what makes a person special is that we are each made in the image of God. It's why killing another human except out of defense is murder. It's why it's fine to eat a hamburger but that cannibalism is a horrific evil. Only humans are special, in this sacred sense!
Humans are only special in the eyes of other humans. In the eyes of animals, we aren't so special or sacred
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8257
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 618 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#56

Post by Philip » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Ken: Humans are only special in the eyes of other humans.
And so why is this true? And it's universally true!

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#57

Post by Kenny » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Philip wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm
Ken: Humans are only special in the eyes of other humans.
And so why is this true? And it's universally true!
For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9054
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 341 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#58

Post by PaulSacramento » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:34 am

Humans have gone beyond the instinctual and merely "surviving and prospering", they have invented ethics and philosophy and science and so much more.
To view them as the same as any animal on the planet is, well, idiotic.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21162
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#59

Post by RickD » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 am

Kenny wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Philip wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:11 pm
Ken: Humans are only special in the eyes of other humans.
And so why is this true? And it's universally true!
For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
To try to test Kenny's assertion, I did a little experiment.

I asked my dog if he thinks dogs are more special than people. He wagged his tail, and licked me in the face.

I asked my cat if he thinks cats are more special than people. He meowed, and rubbed up against me.

My conclusion, is that animals don't think like humans do. Pretty scientific, I'd say.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 8257
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 618 times

Re: What Makes Human Beings Special?

#60

Post by Philip » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am

Ken: For the same reason Grizzly Bears are special in the eyes of other Grizzly Bears.
That's not true - grizzlies (which are merely a subspecie of brown bear) are well known to not only attack other brown bears, but for killing their cubs as well, and sometimes their mothers. Females with cubs avoid male bears at all costs. They are brutal predators and opportunists!

Post Reply