Morality

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Morality

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
kenny wrote:
Human rights are laws of the land. Laws of the land are objective
How are laws of the land objective? What makes them objective?
Laws state what is legal and what is not legal. If the law says “X” is legal, it doesn’t matter if you or I agree it is still legal. It can be demonstrated/proven as legal by reading details of the specific law in question
I asked what makes them objective. You didn't answer that. Legality does not equal objective.
Of coarse it does.

http://www.differencebetween.net/langua ... ubjective/

Laws are written down. As the above definition alludes, you can verify the facts concerning a law by looking them up. This makes laws objective.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that laws are objective because they're written down?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote: How are laws of the land objective? What makes them objective?
Laws state what is legal and what is not legal. If the law says “X” is legal, it doesn’t matter if you or I agree it is still legal. It can be demonstrated/proven as legal by reading details of the specific law in question
I asked what makes them objective. You didn't answer that. Legality does not equal objective.
Of coarse it does.

Laws are written down. As the above definition alludes, you can verify the facts concerning a law by looking them up. This makes laws objective.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that laws are objective because they're written down?
Yes.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote: Laws state what is legal and what is not legal. If the law says “X” is legal, it doesn’t matter if you or I agree it is still legal. It can be demonstrated/proven as legal by reading details of the specific law in question
Of coarse it does.

Yes.
Then being consistent, you believe the 10 commandments are objective as well, correct?

Thou shalt not murder, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not commit adultery, etc., are all objective?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote: I asked what makes them objective. You didn't answer that. Legality does not equal objective.
Of coarse it does.

Yes.
Then being consistent, you believe the 10 commandments are objective as well, correct?

Thou shalt not murder, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not commit adultery, etc., are all objective?
Yes!
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny,

What are your thoughts on these two points?
if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.
A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:Kenny,

if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning.
They both make perfect sense to me.

K
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Ken, if a Law is objective it can NEVER be changed or repealed? you understand that, right?
Your position is simply not logical, sorry.
The objective can't be consensus, it either IS or IS NOT.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:

K
So,

We can't know darkness without anything objective (light) to measure darkness by, and we can't know a crooked line without an objective marker(straight line).

But we can know how wrong something is without something objective to measure "wrongness" by?

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:Ken, if a Law is objective it can NEVER be changed or repealed? you understand that, right?
Your position is simply not logical, sorry.
The objective can't be consensus, it either IS or IS NOT.
No. as you can see from the below definitions, News paper articles are considered objective while the editorial is considered subjective.

News paper articles tell what happened; ex: somebody was killed, a bank got robbed, somebody won the lottery; etc.

The law says what is legal. Now just because something is legal today doesn’t mean it will be legal tomorrow. If the law changes tomorrow that is because law makers decided what is legal has changed. But laws are not left up to the interpretation of those who are under the law. (unless there is a system in place, like judges whose job is to interpret the law).

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Objec ... Subjective
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

K
So,

We can't know darkness without anything objective (light) to measure darkness by, and we can't know a crooked line without an objective marker(straight line).

But we can know how wrong something is without something objective to measure "wrongness" by?
Light is known by comparing it to darkness.
Straight is known by comparing it to crooked.
But when it comes to morality, because there is no single objective standard of which to judge all right or wrong actions against; everybody uses their opinion, (or the opinion of their standard of choice; which is usually something they believe to be superior to themselves).
Thats why we have laws. Laws are an objective standard, not based on what is believed to be right or wrong, but what is legal or not legal
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The law says what is legal. Now just because something is legal today doesn’t mean it will be legal tomorrow. If the law changes tomorrow that is because law makers decided what is legal has changed. But laws are not left up to the interpretation of those who are under the law. (unless there is a system in place, like judges whose job is to interpret the law).
That makes the law subjective Ken.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Thats why we have laws. Laws are an objective standard, not based on what is believed to be right or wrong, but what is legal or not legal
And what defines what is legal or not Ken? and you can't saw the law because that is circular reasoning.,
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: That makes the law subjective Ken.
I disagree. If you look at the link I provided, just as a news report is objective, the Law is as well. Just because something is capable of changing doesn't mean it is subjective. What is it about the law that gives you the impression it is subjective?
PaulSacramento wrote:
And what defines what is legal or not Ken? and you can't saw the law because that is circular reasoning.,
What defines what is legal? There is usually a system in place for that; Lawyers, Judges, Jury, etc.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

kenny wrote:
No Kenny, you have that backwards. Darkness is lack of light.

And no, we don't say how straight a line is, by comparing it to a crooked line.
But when it comes to morality, because there is no single objective standard of which to judge all right or wrong actions against; everybody uses their opinion, (or the opinion of their standard of choice; which is usually something they believe to be superior to themselves).
Kenny,

You do realize that the word objective in objective morality, has a different meaning than it does in objective law, don't you?

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

kenny wrote:
RickD wrote: No Kenny, you have that backwards. Darkness is lack of light.

And no, we don't say how straight a line is, by comparing it to a crooked line.
My point is, with light and something straight, there is an objective standard. With morality there is not.
RickD wrote: Kenny,

You do realize that the word objective in objective morality, has a different meaning than it does in objective law, don't you?
So what is this difference?
RickD wrote