Kids and faith

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Kids and faith

Post by Philip »

I am constantly blown away by their integrity and thoughtfulness.
I never cared if I had kids who were rocket scientists or mathematicians but I didn't want ar*eholes, cos' there's already enough of those :mrgreen:
Mel, that's because you must be doing something right - and then God is overseeing the process, blessing your faithfulness! Kids have all manner of big questions, they're bombarded with all kinds of destructive lies, half-baked BS and things that are merely regurgitated off of atheist and agnostic websites - and yet the sad thing is that no one is answering their questions - mostly because either parents aren't terribly concerned about those things themselves, or they simply don't know what to say or how to answer such things. And so into such a vacuum of no discipleship or answers comes the father of lies and his minions, and an onslaught of misperceptions and outright lies from the culture, which is inescapable. It is tough enough to just become an adolescent and figure out the basics about themselves, about their parents, families, friends, hormones, developing self-confidence, etc. Scripture is true, Proverbs tells us, that in general, when we bring up our children with Godly guidance and influences, they will absorb and begin to understand, at some point - they'll get it. Not all, but most who have such influence at home. I as well am amazed by my 19 year old's maturity and boldness in his faith - he truly doesn't care what others think, as long as he's not misunderstood, or his behavior is Godly. MILES beyond me with that stuff, at the same age. He's the kid who is influencing his friends to come to community church with him, so they can hear and learn Scriptural truth for themselves. This is a church very unlike the ones I grew up in - which has many much more appealing aspects for his generation.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I don't think alot of you even understand what Donald Trump is trying to do for the church but I think you should know.You see Donald Trump met with Christian ministers before he ever ran for President and it boils down to this.Donald Trump who many people even doubted if he was a Christian understands how much political power the church has in America.It might shock you to know but Donald Trump thinks that the church is part of the reason America is in the shape it is in and he wanted to know why this is so.Why does it seem like the church has no impact when they have more power politically than they seem to realize.

Well they explained to him that they would lose their tax exempt status and it has to do with the 501C3 that church's have signed into so that they get money from the government,however it strips them from being able to speak out or get involved politically by signing it. So Donald Trump explained to them that if he wins he wants to do something to change this. So Donald Trump wins and he does exactly what he said he would do,he signs an executive porder that targets the 501C3 and gives the church back their free speech and after he did it he met with Christian ministers again and explained what he did and basically told them to get involved because Christians have a powerful voice in America and yet he got no applause from them or anything.

They just sat there like it is no big deal.I hope this changes because Donald Trump is right just like liberals have Christians can get involved politically too and can make a positive impact in America to take a stand against evil and immorality in America.This idea that we Christians must just sit back and let the left get its way politically forcing these immoral things onto America is just not right.This is not about having a Christian theocracy or witch trials,or anything like that.This is just about Christians having the ability to take a stand against the immoral things being forced on to America by the left.Fighting back politically,voting the libs out of office,etc.

If a Christian is called to do it they should run for office and replace these liberals.It should be Christians in our colleges teaching our people not commy libs,etc.It should be Christians running for office replacing these corrupt Godless politicians in both parties,etc.It should be Christians in control of our Public Schools not liberals.But just the church preaching and speaking out is a powerful tool politically.There are many ways Christians can effect politics in a positive way and we should and Donald Trump is all for it. This is why I say Donald Trump has already done more for the church than any other President Republican or Democrat ever has and Christians should appreciate it and take advantage of it.This would have a positive impact on our kids and future generations.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'm Christocentric in life, that is, I can't go a day without reflecting upon myself or something in relation Christ.

Through Christ, everything else makes sense, even understanding what is love, real love. I don't even know what "love" looks like, except that I see it via Christ. Due to such, I'm certain love isn't some lovey-dovey feeling predominantly attributed to sexual relationships, or some "honeymoon" period when starting out in a new relationship, but a hardcore love that stands strong unconditionally which seems foreign to many, if not all, of us today.

As CS Lewis said, "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

I'm by no means "church-centric" and have reservations against many churches, some more than others. Yet, I'm Christ first, especially with my kids. Church has and can be useful for such, as is the school I send my children to. They can ask their questions as needed, I give my responses. It'll be up to them in the end to make their life decisions in the way they will go, but I'll do what I can to guide them under the truth of Christ, guide them in the way they should go so that when they are old they will hopefully not depart from it.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

ACB, you appear to place far too much importance upon the political to impact the spiritual. Donald Trump is not going to save the church! People have their own hearts and minds about God - if they would exercise those in view of God's Word, that would be transformational across society. Politics - good or bad - stream from the collective hearts and minds of people who so exercise them in whatever ways. God guided the church to a massive expansion amidst the backdrop of the evil Roman empire. Our ultimate well being and the answers society needs are not going to be found in whims of politics! God can use ANY leader for His purposes and, in fact, IS doing so. He raises them up, puts them down, sustains or limits them, and has always done so.

I'm pretty sure that Jesus doesn't wear a Trump hat!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Who's CAB?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:Who's CAB?
See this and find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgW3RxK ... rGdDmYyzwl

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

ACB!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:ACB!
Oh, you mean Cabelainsbrother.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

B. W. wrote:
RickD wrote:Who's CAB?
See this and find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgW3RxK ... rGdDmYyzwl

-
-
-
Didn't know what I was clicking on there B.W but thanks for that little groove, I like old school rhythm and blues :guitar:
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Thanks for your perspective guys,
It wasn't my intention to be disrespectful to the church and I'm glad it wasn't taken as such but more so as a reflection of my own journey of raising children in Christ but outside of 'religion'. I know that term is used very broadly and to many I would also be considered religious and that's okay but I like any parent wonder if I'm doing okay and the right thing by my kids. When it comes to faith I can't force them because I think that's a faith built on rocky ground and good soil comes from personal conviction.
sridharramesh
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by sridharramesh »

Nobody can impose a belief on another person. That isn't just the law, its the nature of belief. If you don't believe in something you don't believe it. Parents can try every method of persuasion at their disposal but if that doesn't work they are stuck with their child's unbelief.

Despite this have they have every right to make their children go to church with them and no government in the civilised world will introduce any law changing this for several very good reasons:

1) Children can't choose where they go or what they do. That's the whole point of classifying them as minors; we don't, as a society, regard them as being mature enough to have agency in their own decisions. They frequently don't want to go to bed/school/outside either but nobody regards this as a problem.

2) Parents are responsible for supervising their children. This means to a large extent that children go wherever their parents do. Your children probably don't much enjoy shopping, but again nobody thinks you are doing anything wrong by taking them.

3) Legislation to prevent parents from bringing children up with their beliefs and values would be the sort of horrifying state intrusion into private life only considered by the most totalitarian and controlling regimes.

4) Such legislation would be enormously impractical since everyone brings up their children with their own beliefs and values. The only way to enforce it would be to have a list of state approved beliefs and values, a solution anyone who likes living in a free country should find entirely terrifying.

5) No reasonable country will impose a law specifically targeting church-going because there is no evidence that the normal experience of church going harms children in any way. Rational legal systems do not normally recognise actions as abusive on the grounds of "Richard Dawkins says so."

In short children are protected from being forced to believe the same things as their parents by simple reality. The law doesn't get involved with people's thoughts, because most people find thought police a scary idea. However parents are perfectly within their rights to take their children to church regardless of how they feel about it. When children are old enough to make their own decisions they can stop going, until then their parents are the people society entrusts to raise them.

Arguments that children shouldn't be exposed to religion are not about protecting children from having religious beliefs and ideas imposed upon them. They are about imposing antireligious beliefs and values on adults and children alike.