Types of atheism

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Types of atheism

Post by PaulSacramento »

Type of Atheism:

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6487
‘Atheism’ is a much simpler concept than ‘Christianity’ or ‘Hinduism’, but the word atheism is still used in a wide variety of ways.

This can cause confusion. Someone may announce that she is an atheist, and her listeners may assume she is one type of atheist, when really she is a different type of atheist.

So to clear things up, here are 17 kinds of atheism, organized into 7 sets. Some kinds of atheism can be combined in a person, and some cannot. For example, it is perfectly consistent to be an agnostic, narrow, friendly atheist. But one cannot simultaneously be both a passive atheist and a militant atheist.

This list is not definitive. There are many ways to organize and label different kinds of atheism.
AN interesting list.
I would disagree with this comment here:
A militant atheist uses violence to promote atheism or destroy religion. (Often, the term “militant atheist” is misapplied to non-violent evangelical atheists like Richard Dawkins. But to preserve the parallel with the “militant Christian” who bombs abortion clinics or the “militant Muslim” suicide bomber, I prefer the definition of “militant atheist” that assumes acts of violence.)
simply because it appears to be redefining "militant" for more politically correct meaning.

Militant:
mil·i·tant
ˈmiləd(ə)nt/
adjective
combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.
"a militant nationalist"
synonyms: aggressive, violent, belligerent, bellicose, vigorous, forceful, active, fierce, combative, pugnacious; More
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Re: Types of atheism

Post by PaulSacramento »

The vast majority that I know would be best described as:
Passive Agnostic Atheist.

Most that I have debated with on forums:
Evangelical Open Gnostic Atheists

The vast majority I have debated with that USED to be religious are, and I find this funny:
Evangelical Open Gnostic Atheists
Even more so if they were, as believers, very open and evangelical believers !
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

You also forgot one: The Christian Atheist

The Christian Atheist is one doesn't think God heals anymore and there no longer a need for the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be action today....

The church is all messed up in so many areas and in so many places asleep at the wheel..

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

B. W. wrote:You also forgot one: The Christian Atheist

The Christian Atheist is one doesn't think God heals anymore and there no longer a need for the gifts of the Holy Spirit to be action today....

The church is all messed up in so many areas and in so many places asleep at the wheel..

-
-
-
What ??
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Here we go...
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

When BW wrote Christian Atheist I thought he was referring to the Unified Preacher that is an atheist.
I guess not..
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

I am teasing you all :horseman:

:lol:

Actually a christian atheist would make a great Unitarian, great point!
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:Type of Atheism:

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=6487
‘Atheism’ is a much simpler concept than ‘Christianity’ or ‘Hinduism’, but the word atheism is still used in a wide variety of ways.

This can cause confusion. Someone may announce that she is an atheist, and her listeners may assume she is one type of atheist, when really she is a different type of atheist.

So to clear things up, here are 17 kinds of atheism, organized into 7 sets. Some kinds of atheism can be combined in a person, and some cannot. For example, it is perfectly consistent to be an agnostic, narrow, friendly atheist. But one cannot simultaneously be both a passive atheist and a militant atheist.

This list is not definitive. There are many ways to organize and label different kinds of atheism.
AN interesting list.
I would disagree with this comment here:
A militant atheist uses violence to promote atheism or destroy religion. (Often, the term “militant atheist” is misapplied to non-violent evangelical atheists like Richard Dawkins. But to preserve the parallel with the “militant Christian” who bombs abortion clinics or the “militant Muslim” suicide bomber, I prefer the definition of “militant atheist” that assumes acts of violence.)
simply because it appears to be redefining "militant" for more politically correct meaning.

Militant:
mil·i·tant
ˈmiləd(ə)nt/
adjective
combative and aggressive in support of a political or social cause, and typically favoring extreme, violent, or confrontational methods.
"a militant nationalist"
synonyms: aggressive, violent, belligerent, bellicose, vigorous, forceful, active, fierce, combative, pugnacious; More
Interesting site. I wonder what does this person mean when he says “does not believe in God
*Does this mean he may believe the person called God may exist but doesn't buy all the claims believers attribute to him?
*Does it mean he may believe all the claims attribute to the person called God, but for whatever reason, he doesn't call him God or recognize him as any type of Deity?
Or does it mean he doesn’t believe any person called God exists (foolish position)

I wonder which atheist label a person would fit under if he believed a God like Yahweh, or Allah may exist, but just see them as an advanced being from another Galaxy, not God.

Now just for the record, these are not necessarily the positions I hold, I was just wondering out loud.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

B. W. wrote:I am teasing you all :horseman:

-
-
-
Maybe christian stheist is someone who gets mad at God, or develops more intelkectual doubts,
but never really-really stops believing or stops thinking as a Christian.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

-
-
-
You're close to something Vox Dei would discuss. You see, atheists are moral-parasite. What is a moral-parasite? Somebody who rejects their cultures mores, but practices them paradoxically. So if we are talking about Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens, they can accurately be described as "Christian atheist" despite the obvious oxymoron.

Same goes for the atheist in Jerusalem: Jewish-atheist. Or the Hindi-atheist, and so on.

Only exception is Islamic-atheist.....we just call them "dead man walking" depending on their country.

Edit: only thing Vox Dei didn't cover were atheists from atheist states. Kind of hard to describe their behavior.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Hortator wrote:

-
-
-
You see, atheists are moral-parasite. What is a moral-parasite? Somebody who rejects their cultures mores, but practices them paradoxically. So if we are talking about Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens, they can accurately be described as "Christian atheist" despite the obvious oxymoron.
Didn’t those people live in America and Europe? With as many different cultures that make up those countries, how do you know they reject whatever culture they are a part of, yet practice them periodically?

Ken
RickD wrote
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

Kenny wrote:
Hortator wrote:

-
-
-
You see, atheists are moral-parasite. What is a moral-parasite? Somebody who rejects their cultures mores, but practices them paradoxically. So if we are talking about Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens, they can accurately be described as "Christian atheist" despite the obvious oxymoron.
Didn’t those people live in America and Europe? With as many different cultures that make up those countries, how do you know they reject whatever culture they are a part of, yet practice them periodically?

Ken
I'd be interested who among our Christians here agree with that
bit of invidious cant about "moral-parasite (sic)".
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

What began in jest, well, let's see what folks think of these articles:

In the early church history, yes Christians were called atheist:

Christians are Atheists

Accusations

Later that cold ecumenicalism crept in philosophic realms of Christian thought in the 1700 time frame and then into full gear, especially after World War One, and thus what you have is... a sort of liberal Unitarian belief system...

Christian atheism is a theological position in which the belief in the transcendent or interventionist God is rejected or absent in favor of finding God totally in the world (Thomas J. J. Altizer) or following Jesus in a godless world (William Hamilton). Hamilton's Christian atheism is similar to Jesuism.

So there you have it...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Next in regard to moral parasite charge being made against Christians:

What is wrong with the following verses:

Isaiah 61:1,2,3,4

Isaiah 1:17,18

Micah 6:8;

Zep 2:3;

Zec 7:9,10

Zec 8:16

If then doing these things makes us moral parasites to the world so be it, Isa 1:23, it is time for a revolution...

So far the world is shouting for Christians to shut up and play inside the fours walls - sadly most of the modern church world complies with its demands - just to get along to prove they love...

There is way too much morality of the world dictating to the Church what it should do and how it must act - which summed up as: not relying on the power of God for the revolution spoken of in Isaiah 61:1,2,3,4 but instead programs, rituals, and that "let's do plan and if plan A does not work then off to plans b, d, r, x, q, etc and etc."

Let's get real...

Most of what goes on in the modern Church world is a Joke which turns people off. For example, you have people abusing others, misusing God's gifts and callings that the Lord offers all exchanged into personal promotion and thus adhering to the morality of the world. Darkness falls but God has a plan...

However, there are a few folks do not adhere to the morality of the world and seek instead Acts 1:8, Acts 2:38 and live the Isaiah 61:1,2,3,4 way by the gifts see 1 Co 12:3-31 by simple = Arising what??? hint Isa 60:1,2,3 and Matthew 5:14,15,16

It is easy to act like the world but to Arise is another matter...

Questions for Christians reading this and not to non-Christians: you tired of the same old same old yet? not working very well is it?

Time for Revolution - Game On!
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

B. W. wrote:What began in jest, well, let's see what folks think of these articles:

In the early church history, yes Christians were called atheist:

Christians are Atheists

Accusations

Later that cold ecumenicalism crept in philosophic realms of Christian thought in the 1700 time frame and then into full gear, especially after World War One, and thus what you have is... a sort of liberal Unitarian belief system...

Christian atheism is a theological position in which the belief in the transcendent or interventionist God is rejected or absent in favor of finding God totally in the world (Thomas J. J. Altizer) or following Jesus in a godless world (William Hamilton). Hamilton's Christian atheism is similar to Jesuism.

So there you have it...
-
-
-
So are you saying a Christian atheist is one who follows the philosophical teachings of Jesus, but do not worship him or any other deity as God?

Ken
RickD wrote