The Euthyphro Dilemma

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Vergil
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Euthyphro Dilemma

Post by Vergil »

Storyteller wrote:Let yourself absorb it, you do know it, you feel it. and do, do read Jacs book.
You mean 'Divine Simplicity' milady?
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I do indeed, young Sir.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

Storyteller wrote:I do indeed, young Sir.
Isn't it that Divine Simplicity is one of the most complicated and mind-wrenching philosophy about God?

Hmmm, I shall do as thee say milady.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Vergil wrote:
Isn't it that Divine Simplicity is one of the most complicated and mind-wrenching philosophy about God?

Not how jac explains it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

Storyteller wrote:
Vergil wrote:

Not how jac explains it.
Hahaha true, I can comprehend "DDS" with the words of Lord Jac but when reading it from paper and from the Stanford University, it's like i'm trying to comprehend a really really hard topic.
- Jesus Christ

- Charles Stanley
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Jac has a way of explaining things simply.
I think, when you read DS you'll go something like Aha! There is a name for what I feel.
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

Storyteller wrote:Jac has a way of explaining things simply.
I think, when you read DS you'll go something like Aha! There is a name for what I feel.
I shall read Divine Simplicity, and it might prove useful for my research too :D

Thank you milady.
- Jesus Christ

- Charles Stanley
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

y>:D<
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Vergil wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I know nothing about this and google isnt really helping!

What is it?
"Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?" - Euthyphro Dilemma
Goodness isn't really up for debate.
The philosophical questions are super important made so much more understandable with someone like Jac at the hilt ie: Divine Simplicity.
Great book!

But from my perspective this is the Merry go round of questions.
When you embrace the question from a Christian perspective it differs greatly from someone who who doesn't. But the question regardless remains the same.

What drives us to be moral?
Because we are by far and large moral. With our share of shitbags and creeps and tyrannical oppressors but we are a pretty decent bunch.
So why bother?
To be decent?
Survival of the fitness without exception to further a species is ruthless. It doesn't take into account the complexities of humanity which understands the rule of empathy and compassion. A rule that has been twisted and used but nevertheless been consistent in history.
As a species we care.
We have done so poorly and inconsistently. We have been manipulated so that our caring is targeted towards a spefific controlled demographic.
But
Irregardless we know what is right.
Almost all ingenious cultures had a very clear understanding of morality. It was the underlining fabric of their culture. What kept them prospering. The more a spefific culture upheld moral beliefs the more benficial it was to their society.
We don't nor have ever done what is right because it's dicatated to us but because we instinctively know that's the right way to behave.
All cultures have the same underlining principles.
Which is why moral standards are universal. It's not okay to steal, to lie, to betray, to murder, to be arrogant and unforgiving.
These principles are found tightly wound into the fabric of life.
Not by accident
But because it's the foundation by which any society must live or prosper.
Morality holds a society accountable by its own standards without ever taking into consideration an outside force.
We do what is right because any other way leads to anarchy. We are programmed to care, we are instinctively compassionate, we are by way of our humanity loving.
we do it poorly too often but it's in our nature to be so
Because of our design.
Vergil
Established Member

Post by Vergil »

melanie wrote:
Vergil wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I know nothing about this and google isnt really helping!

What is it?
"Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?" - Euthyphro Dilemma
Goodness isn't really up for debate.
The philosophical questions are super important made so much more understandable with someone like Jac at the hilt ie: Divine Simplicity.
Great book!

But from my perspective this is the Merry go round of questions.
When you embrace the question from a Christian perspective it differs greatly from someone who who doesn't. But the question regardless remains the same.

What drives us to be moral?
Because we are by far and large moral. With our share of shitbags and creeps and tyrannical oppressors but we are a pretty decent bunch.
So why bother?
To be decent?
Survival of the fitness without exception to further a species is ruthless. It doesn't take into account the complexities of humanity which understands the rule of empathy and compassion. A rule that has been twisted and used but nevertheless been consistent in history.
As a species we care.
We have done so poorly and inconsistently. We have been manipulated so that our caring is targeted towards a spefific controlled demographic.
But
Irregardless we know what is right.
Almost all ingenious cultures had a very clear understanding of morality. It was the underlining fabric of their culture. What kept them prospering. The more a spefific culture upheld moral beliefs the more benficial it was to their society.
We don't nor have ever done what is right because it's dicatated to us but because we instinctively know that's the right way to behave.
All cultures have the same underlining principles.
Which is why moral standards are universal. It's not okay to steal, to lie, to betray, to murder, to be arrogant and unforgiving.
These principles are found tightly wound into the fabric of life.
Not by accident
But because it's the foundation by which any society must live or prosper.
Morality holds a society accountable by its own standards without ever taking into consideration an outside force.
We do what is right because any other way leads to anarchy. We are programmed to care, we are instinctively compassionate, we are by way of our humanity loving.
we do it poorly too often but it's in our nature to be so
Because of our design.

A excellent perspective milady
- Jesus Christ

- Charles Stanley