Christ's role minimized - analysis

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
JButler
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Christ's role minimized - analysis

Post by JButler »

In viewing and reading a wide variety of theologies, belief systems, academic positions, basic opinions, etc, I've noticed a pattern. The pattern concerns Jesus Christ and his role/power and attempted denial of it by individuals or groups.

Here's a rough draft of my observations. It goes in a progression sort of. Again,this is strictly based off my own observations.

1. Ignore Jesus totally if possible.
2. If they can't ignore Him, then try to deny Him as the Son of God.
3. Cast doubt on His existence in history
4. If #3 doesn't work, then claim He was just a man among many in His time.
5. If #4 doesn't work then say he was a preacher, a social justice advocate, anti Rome revolutionary
6. Deflect attention away by iconography, praying to dead persons or angels, etc.
7. Form in their minds a Jesus that makes them comfortable.

Think I've covered the basics although pretty rough. Some of the points could be put under a label of "MINIMIZING".
Curious for your thoughts and input.
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
crackpot
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Re: Christ's role minimized - analysis

Post by crackpot »

It's normal for unbelievers to discredit the various biblical accounts related to Jesus, or to reinvent him. None of this should surprise you.

If a Christian discredits the Bible or demotes Jesus from what he himself claimed to be, you have a right to call such people "so-called Christians".
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

JButler wrote:In viewing and reading a wide variety of theologies, belief systems, academic positions, basic opinions, etc, I've noticed a pattern. The pattern concerns Jesus Christ and his role/power and attempted denial of it by individuals or groups.

Here's a rough draft of my observations. It goes in a progression sort of. Again,this is strictly based off my own observations.

5. If #4 doesn't work then say he was a preacher, a social justice advocate, anti Rome revolutionary
6. Deflect attention away by iconography, praying to dead persons or angels, etc.

Think I've covered the basics although pretty rough. Some of the points could be put under a label of "MINIMIZING".
I think it depends on what we are discussing as you may know the bible is a vast book covering many different topics and we discuss many different topics.Now a case may could be made that we don't always discuss Jesus enough,maybe.But the bible is a vast book we are trying to help each other understand better and a lot of times from different perspectives.I guess if certain controversial things are being discussed others may say it is not important and what is most important is Jesus but it is important to understand all of God's word,not just some of it.And we'll only get more biblical knowledge by reading it and discussing it.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

#8: Try to deny the sufficiency of Christ's atonement by inserting one's own performance in one's own salvation.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

JButler wrote:In viewing and reading a wide variety of theologies, belief systems, academic positions, basic opinions, etc, I've noticed a pattern. The pattern concerns Jesus Christ and his role/power and attempted denial of it by individuals or groups.

Pretty good summarization -- unfortunately -- Society does not want a Savior to be responsible To. Christ's role is the most important in history. With Jesus Christ In His proper role -- He is God incarnate -- has provided Everyone with the potential of accepting the greatest gift ever given. The Jesus that 'makes them comfortable' -- Also makes it a necessity to admit that we are sinners and Need the salvation that has been provided by Him. Our ability to feel comfortable 'inside' comes from accepting Jesus Christ as our personal Savior From hell.