Worldview vs Mindset

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

Post by Mallz »

Check this out Kenny, it should give you some info.
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... intro.html

Every time I see you post, I think of South Park :p :lol:

I kinda like googles definition of worldview: a particular philosophy of life or conception of the world

So really, everyone has a world view and there are probably countless worldviews (as cultures evolve/grow more worldviews would sprout up)

One world view: Diamonds are all bad because they are 'blood' diamonds. There's' a non-theological worldview for ya. They can be very simple, or complex and formed through a second or a lifetime of experiences based on many things or nothing.

One world view I had before I found Christ, was that this world and universe were completely pointless and meaningless. And I consider that to be a very logical and sane worldview if not given all the facts (God exists and revealed Himself to us)
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Mallz wrote::

I kinda like googles definition of worldview: a particular philosophy of life or conception of the world

So really, everyone has a world view and there are probably countless worldviews (as cultures evolve/grow more worldviews would sprout up)

One world view: Diamonds are all bad because they are 'blood' diamonds. There's' a non-theological worldview for ya. They can be very simple, or complex and formed through a second or a lifetime of experiences based on many things or nothing.

One world view I had before I found Christ, was that this world and universe were completely pointless and meaningless. And I consider that to be a very logical and sane worldview if not given all the facts (God exists and revealed Himself to us)
So would it be safe to assume a single person may have countless world views depending upon the situation they are dealing with? The person with a world view about diamonds may also have different world views concerning white slavery, child labor in 3rd world countries, ethnic cleansing, etc?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Kenny wrote:So would it be safe to assume a single person may have countless world views depending upon the situation they are dealing with? The person with a world view about diamonds may also have different world views concerning white slavery, child labor in 3rd world countries, ethnic cleansing, etc?
No. You don't know what a worldview is. The only way a person could have multiple worldviews is to have multiple personalities. Multiple Personality Disorder is a very serious mental illness. It is the same idea with mindset.

If you insist on having multiple mindsets or worldviews, you truly are schizoïd.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

OK...I found in my home library a little book entitled, Worldviews published under the THINK Reference Collection. It is an easy to read paperback and costs only $12.99 in the USA.

Buy or borrow this book to get an overview of various modern worldviews, and - for Kenny - to understand what a worldview is!

Now, if I only had a book about mindsets...

FL :school:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

So would it be safe to assume a single person may have countless world views depending upon the situation they are dealing with? The person with a world view about diamonds may also have different world views concerning white slavery, child labor in 3rd world countries, ethnic cleansing, etc?
People can have countless views about different aspects of the world, and together they make up ones worldview. The worldview is encompassing of all these different beliefs. It's like an overall philosophy about the world based on all those different views on everthing in the world.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Mallz wrote: [A worldview is] like an overall philosophy about the world based on all those different views on everthing in the world.
Almost. I would re-write your sentence, above, this way:

A worldview is like an overall philosophy about the world in which are based all your different opinions about anything.

It follows that only an insane person can have two or more worldviews.

+ + +

+ + +
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Mallz wrote:
People can have countless views about different aspects of the world, and together they make up ones worldview. The worldview is encompassing of all these different beliefs. It's like an overall philosophy about the world based on all those different views on everthing in the world.
But sometimes those different views a person has of the world are inconsistent. A person may be skeptical on most issues but embracing and non questioning on another; liberal on most issues but conservetive on a few others. If a person had one world view, don't you think their opinions would be more consistent?

Earlier you mentioned a single issue (blood diamonds) as a secular world view. Now you seem to be straying from that POV. Is this still your position? If so; if a single issue can be a world view, why can’t a variety of issues be a variety of world views?
If this is no longer your POV, please give an example of a secular world view.

Ken
Last edited by Kenny on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickD wrote
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

You are still lost, Kenny. And Mallz' example about blood diamonds didn't help because he gave you an opinion about diamonds. There is no such thing as a ''worldview about diamonds'' ...but I know that Mallz understands what a worldview is based on his other posts.
Kenny wrote:if a single issue can be a world view, why can’t a variety of issues be a variety of world views?If this is no longer your POV, please give an example of a secular world view.
A single issue cannot be a worldview unless you are severely - very severely - autistic.
Kenny wrote:why can’t a variety of issues be a variety of world views?
Issues do not make up a worldview. A worldview gives sense to issues. And a person can only have one worldview, unless they suffer from a grave personality disorder.
Kenny wrote:please give an example of a secular world view.
Before you get a car, you need to know how to drive. Likewise, before you get the example you asked for, you need to know what a worldview is. Otherwise, any answer would just be more gibberish to you.

+ + +

+ + +
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote: Before you get a car, you need to know how to drive. Likewise, before you get the example you asked for, you need to know what a worldview is. Otherwise, any answer would just be more gibberish to you.

How about if you explain what a world view is, then give a few examples of worldviews that does not include theism.

Ken
RickD wrote
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

A worldview is really a list of presuppositions through which reality is interpreted. I've always explained it as a pair glasses through which we view the world. Everyone has a worldview, whether they are conscious of it or not.

A secular worldview would simply be a WV that holds secular presuppositions.

Since it's likely to come up, a presupposition is an elementary assumption about reality as a whole.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

jlay wrote:A worldview is really a list of presuppositions through which reality is interpreted. I've always explained it as a pair glasses through which we view the world. Everyone has a worldview, whether they are conscious of it or not.

A secular worldview would simply be a WV that holds secular presuppositions.

Since it's likely to come up, a presupposition is an elementary assumption about reality as a whole.
Would it be fair to say "worldview" is sorta like a point of view?

Ken
RickD wrote
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:Would it be fair to say "worldview" is sorta like a point of view?
No. A worldview is all-encompassing, over-arching meta-narrative: it is the story you tell yourself in order to make sense of the world around you. A worldview forms your opinions. It is not an opinion, it is not a point-of-view. Unlike a point of view/opinion, a worldview is damn nigh impossible to change, short of a major trauma in your life, or a miracle.

Read jlay's definition again:
jlay wrote:
A worldview is really a list of presuppositions through which reality is interpreted. I've always explained it as a pair glasses through which we view the world. Everyone has a worldview, whether they are conscious of it or not.
FL :egeek:

+ + +

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

I like jlay's definition of a worldview. It is easily understandable. I think I'll use it and pass it off as mine. However, unlike a pair of glasses that you can change at will, your ''worldview glasses'' are welded to your face.

+ + +

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I like jlay's definition of a worldview. It is easily understandable. I think I'll use it and pass it off as mine. However, unlike a pair of glasses that you can change at will, your ''worldview glasses'' are welded to your face.

Posted this here on another thread, but it does pertain to a world view glasses...

http://discussions.godandscience.org/po ... 2&p=160579
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Kenny wrote:Would it be fair to say "worldview" is sorta like a point of view?
No. A worldview is all-encompassing, over-arching meta-narrative: it is the story you tell yourself in order to make sense of the world around you. A worldview forms your opinions. It is not an opinion, it is not a point-of-view. Unlike a point of view/opinion, a worldview is damn nigh impossible to change, short of a major trauma in your life, or a miracle.

Read jlay's definition again:
jlay wrote:
FL :egeek:
Doesn't sound like something I have. If I do have this; I am definitely unaware of it.

So when you say worldviews are nearly impossible to change short of major trauma, or a miracle; when a person changes religions or goes from religious to atheism or atheism to religious, or maybe remain within the same religion but totally change how they worship; does their worldview change when this happens? Because religious beliefs change all the time.

Ken
RickD wrote