Worldview vs Mindset

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
User avatar
EachNewDawn
Acquainted Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:17 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Worldview vs Mindset

#1

Post by EachNewDawn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 am

Hi,

I've been reading and listening to quite a bit on worldviews over the past few months and trying to identify the different influences on people's worldviews to help me better understand where their objections and questions come from. However, I've found that I'm unsure of what the difference between a worldview and a mindset is. My current understanding is that the two words aren't interchangeable, even if they are related concepts and may have overlap; that a 'mindset' is a person's perspective on or attitude towards something and a 'worldview' either the sum of a person's beliefs or the perspective from which beliefs are formed. I find that 'mindset' tends to be used in more casual or informal conversation, whereas 'worldview' is used in more philosophical contexts. How might these terms be more formally defined?

Each New Dawn
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2)

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#2

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:39 pm

A worldview is a meta-narrative that you adhere to (unconsciously, usually) in order to make sense of the world around you: it is the story you believe deep down inside that helps you make sense of the world. Worldviews are learned, largely passed on by the culture around you and your education.

A mindset has more to do with personality: what drives you, what influences you and so on. Mindset determines whether you will be a happy or miserable person. Mindset is largely determined by your genes and the circumstances around your immediate family.

A concrete example: Christianity provides a new worldview to those who come into a relationship with Jesus. The born gain person's mindset, however, may remain the same.

FL :teacher:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

User avatar
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Posts: 8365
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 260 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#3

Post by B. W. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:36 pm

Another example is this, there are many folks who have mindset about computers like this: Image

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

User avatar
EachNewDawn
Acquainted Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:17 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#4

Post by EachNewDawn » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:24 am

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:A worldview is a meta-narrative that you adhere to (unconsciously, usually) in order to make sense of the world around you: it is the story you believe deep down inside that helps you make sense of the world. Worldviews are learned, largely passed on by the culture around you and your education.

A mindset has more to do with personality: what drives you, what influences you and so on. Mindset determines whether you will be a happy or miserable person. Mindset is largely determined by your genes and the circumstances around your immediate family.

A concrete example: Christianity provides a new worldview to those who come into a relationship with Jesus. The born gain person's mindset, however, may remain the same.

FL :teacher:
Ah, that makes it much clearer. Thanks :ebiggrin:

Each New Dawn
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2)

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#5

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:27 am

EachNewDawn wrote:
Ah, that makes it much clearer. Thanks :ebiggrin:
Really? I am more confused now about worldview/mindset than when I wrote my definition...

FL y:-/
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3583
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#6

Post by Kenny » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:33 am

Do you think it is common for a person to not have a world view, and a variety of different mindsets depending upon the situation they are dealing with?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#7

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Kenny wrote:Do you think it is common for a person to not have a world view, and a variety of different mindsets depending upon the situation they are dealing with?

Ken
Yes, it is common if the person is totally schizoïd. Is this your situation?

FL y:-?
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3583
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#8

Post by Kenny » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:22 am

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Kenny wrote:Do you think it is common for a person to not have a world view, and a variety of different mindsets depending upon the situation they are dealing with?

Ken
Yes, it is common if the person is totally schizoïd. Is this your situation?

FL y:-?
Insults aside; why would a person have to be schizoid?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#9

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 am

Kenny wrote:Insults aside; why would a person have to be schizoid?
No insult was intended.

To answer your own question, above, read my original definition of mindset. I'm not going to spoon-feed you the answer. You have a brain, use it.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3583
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#10

Post by Kenny » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Kenny wrote:Insults aside; why would a person have to be schizoid?
No insult was intended.

To answer your own question, above, read my original definition of mindset. I'm not going to spoon-feed you the answer. You have a brain, use it.

FL :D
I did read the definition you gave and you are wrong. You don't need to be schizoid; you just need to be the type of person who judges and precieves the various events and situations one encounters in life on a case by case basis.

Ken
PS Concerning your uncalled for hostility; they have medicine for that! Just a little something you might wanna look into
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#11

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Kenny wrote:I did read the definition you gave and you are wrong. You don't need to be schizoid; you just need to be the type of person who judges and precieves the various events and situations one encounters in life on a case by case basis.
Nope. You didn't understand diddlysquat. Go back and read it again. Read it aloud, and listen to the sound of the words. There is no room in what I wrote for your conclusion.
Kenny wrote:PS Concerning your uncalled for hostility; they have medicine for that! Just a little something you might wanna look into
There is no hostility intended. You should read what is written and stop jumping to conclusions.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3583
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#12

Post by Kenny » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Kenny wrote:I did read the definition you gave and you are wrong. You don't need to be schizoid; you just need to be the type of person who judges and precieves the various events and situations one encounters in life on a case by case basis.
Nope. You didn't understand diddlysquat. Go back and read it again. Read it aloud, and listen to the sound of the words. There is no room in what I wrote for your conclusion.
Kenny wrote:PS Concerning your uncalled for hostility; they have medicine for that! Just a little something you might wanna look into
There is no hostility intended. You should read what is written and stop jumping to conclusions.

FL :D
If there were any merit to your position you would have made your point already. But because of your inability to reinforce your position with facts and logic, you've resorted to petty insults. I am done with you, I have no time for your childish behavior; I am better than this.

Good-by
Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#13

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:36 am

Kenny wrote:If there were any merit to your position you would have made your point already. But because of your inability to reinforce your position with facts and logic...
You seem to be inhabited by a spirit of contention. You won't learn anything here until you dominate it.

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

User avatar
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#14

Post by FlawedIntellect » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 am

Kenny wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Kenny wrote:Insults aside; why would a person have to be schizoid?
No insult was intended.

To answer your own question, above, read my original definition of mindset. I'm not going to spoon-feed you the answer. You have a brain, use it.

FL :D
I did read the definition you gave and you are wrong. You don't need to be schizoid; you just need to be the type of person who judges and precieves the various events and situations one encounters in life on a case by case basis.

Ken
PS Concerning your uncalled for hostility; they have medicine for that! Just a little something you might wanna look into
1) All FL will need is a bit more calcium in his diet.
2) Your statement on worldviews shows that you don't understand what a worldview is at all, Ken.

People's judgements and perceptions are based on a worldview. Using facts and evidence to make judgements is one way to build a worldview. You're NOT avoiding a worldview by following such a method. You're only ending up creating one.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3583
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Worldview vs Mindset

#15

Post by Kenny » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:43 am

FlawedIntellect wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Kenny wrote:Insults aside; why would a person have to be schizoid?
No insult was intended.

To answer your own question, above, read my original definition of mindset. I'm not going to spoon-feed you the answer. You have a brain, use it.

FL :D
I did read the definition you gave and you are wrong. You don't need to be schizoid; you just need to be the type of person who judges and precieves the various events and situations one encounters in life on a case by case basis.

Ken
PS Concerning your uncalled for hostility; they have medicine for that! Just a little something you might wanna look into
1) All FL will need is a bit more calcium in his diet.
2) Your statement on worldviews shows that you don't understand what a worldview is at all, Ken.

People's judgements and perceptions are based on a worldview. Using facts and evidence to make judgements is one way to build a worldview. You're NOT avoiding a worldview by following such a method. You're only ending up creating one.
Can you give an example of a world view outside of Religion/Theism?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Post Reply