Philosophy in General

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
kmr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Philosophy in General

Post by kmr »

I often have the feeling that trying to over-think about philosophy and predict future events (e.g. the End Times) is rather like being in the process of reading a very large book... one of those thick historical fiction novels, like a Charles Dickens book. While you read it, the plot takes so long to unravel, and has so many connections and mysteries, that it really doesn't come together until the very end. Yet, there is the unavoidable desire while reading to try and predict what will happen at the end of the book, and draw convoluted conclusions about plot twists and the like.

I feel that this is where we are right now. We are watching the world unravel, and each person is trying to draw their own ideas about how to interpret the Bible and the world around them. However, I think that nobody will really understand until everything comes together at the end. Then, we will see how all of the points fit together.

What do you think? Is there really a 100% perfect interpretation of the Bible, and can anybody really know what the future holds?
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
domokunrox
Valued Member

Re: Philosophy in General

Post by domokunrox »

I am not sure how this is a philosophical question.

Could philosophy be like reading a large book with plot twists, and so forth? Of course it can. This is exactly why we need to be very aware of presuppositions certain philosophies have. For example, empiricism can carry a multitude of various presuppositions. I would hardly call empiricism a straight forward philosophy. Empiricism is natural philosophy, and its impossible for it to explain anything outside of physical universe. So, again, we need to be careful to not include empiricism philosophy into our theology interpretations and proofs.

I am going to have to disagree with you where you say no one will understand until the end, and then we'll see how all the points come together. How is what you just said any different from the blind hindu's who fall into the pit with the elephant? Philosophy is certainly difficult for some to understand and sometimes the puzzles we are faced with can feel like they are beyond our ability to reason, but that's why we need to examine the puzzle another way. We need to be particularly careful to not waste our time with hypothesis or thoughts that go AGAINST reason. For example, relativism, pluralism, naturalism, actual infinites, etc.

So, to answer your questions at the end. Is there a 100% "perfect" interpretation of the bible? No, not at all. Theology is man's interpretation of God, and we are not perfect by any means.

Can anybody know what the future holds? Sure, God does. If you're talking about us, then no. We have no rational basis for baseless speculations. We don't know if there is going to be a tomorrow.

I hope I was able to answer your questions. If not, do you want me to expand on something particular? Or did you want to clarify your questions a bit more?
kmr
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

They weren't so much questions that I personally wanted answered, I was just trying to spark a discussion :mrgreen:

For me, I feel that we've been given enough to make our choices and come to faith, but that everything about the Bible and God's plan won't necessarily make sense to us until we can put it in context. That's just how I feel, and I certainly don't hold to any of those other "hypotheses" or ideas....
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

Ah, I see. well, that's cool, too.

It defiantly is all about choices and we gotta be prepared to make the right ones.