Having children

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Harry12345
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Having children

Post by Harry12345 »

rodyshusband wrote:
Harry12345 wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:I don't see anything to be surprised about, Harry?
I do!!! y:O2
Now Harry...be nice! :)
y>:D<
I'll try. :oops:
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Attention. Line up in formation and dress right. My thread. Back to the topic. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Especially bringing new life into a world where most perish and suffer for eternity. That's one you might want to think about first in some detail.
Echoside
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

I agree completely, bringing up a child is for many people an unreasonable thing to attempt. Just because someone wants to have a kid doesnt mean they should, the child's future needs to be considered.
Does this mean we can ban people from having sex? Of course not, and age isn't debating that. While legally it would be impossible (or at least highly unlikely) for this scenario to happen, that doesn't mean people dont have a moral obligation to avoid risks they shouldn't be taking
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Echoside wrote:I agree completely, bringing up a child is for many people an unreasonable thing to attempt. Just because someone wants to have a kid doesnt mean they should, the child's future needs to be considered.
Does this mean we can ban people from having sex? Of course not, and age isn't debating that. While legally it would be impossible (or at least highly unlikely) for this scenario to happen, that doesn't mean people dont have a moral obligation to avoid risks they shouldn't be taking
That's correct Echo. I remember a pastor telling me once the reason why God had to bring a flood to wipe the wicked from the earth is because as they rose up they had murdered and killed off allmost the entire rightous population from the planet! A hard reset was needed.

Unfortunately the adults who carefully plan their families and bring their children up in the path of rightousness are a small minority compared to the larger population. It is the lost and the wicked that populate the earth enmasse with angry violent bitter sinful masses of humanity.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I would prefer that she pick one than I give her one.
Man I could have a field day with that.

Let me give you a personal example. My family was one of those that said, sex before marriage is wrong, rah, rah. But, my Dad kept dirty mags (which I found), and ended up having an affair and abandoning us.

Telling your children something is a lot different than modeling it for them in the way you live your life and run your household. I knew anytime my Dad said, "sex was for marriage" that this was not a conviction of his heart.

it is a true act of God that I am a Christian. I grew up in a hypocritical home. many people in my place reject Christ, because of phonie Christians.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

Good point jlay. Reminds me of that scripture which talks about the form of religion rather than a saving relationship with God. I'm watching The Dark Ages on the History Channel right now and omg. What misery those people endured. I would rather just not be born than to go through that! Obviously I don't expect most people to agree with me on that point... lol. But my point is that life was brutual, painful, steeped in ignorance, often evil, and usually short.

Now take my survey :) Peace.