The Koran / Bible

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

I think one of the most depraved things I have seen of Islam was a video clip where young children were interviewed regarding jihad and being martyrs, and were recorded (with their faces shining in joyous expectation) as saying "Why stand at the door of Paradise when we can walk right in?" and "Our life here is not forever but our life in Paradise will be eternal". One of those children was a girl. You can just guess her role in that hideous hell-hole they call Paradise.
Lizard Man
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by Lizard Man »

I think one of the most depraved things I have seen of Islam was a video clip where young children were interviewed regarding jihad and being martyrs, and were recorded (with their faces shining in joyous expectation) as saying "Why stand at the door of Paradise when we can walk right in?" and "Our life here is not forever but our life in Paradise will be eternal". One of those children was a girl. You can just guess her role in that hideous hell-hole they call Paradise.
I can assure you that the vast majority of Muslims (including myself) condemn that sort of behavior:

* Outside website edited out by Moderator *

:wink:
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Lizard Man wrote:
I can assure you that the vast majority of Muslims (including myself) condemn that sort of behavior:

* Outside website edited out by Moderator *

:wink:
I'm glad to hear that and I know that many Muslims do condemn it verbally. What are Muslims doing tangibly to rein in their more violent factions that involves action and direct confrontation?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Lizard Man
Familiar Member

Post by Lizard Man »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I'm glad to hear that and I know that many Muslims do condemn it verbally. What are Muslims doing tangibly to rein in their more violent factions that involves action and direct confrontation?
There isn't a lot that we can do besides educating and protesting against these sickening acts. Most Muslims that are able to speak against these people don't live in the countries involved.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Lizard Man wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:I'm glad to hear that and I know that many Muslims do condemn it verbally. What are Muslims doing tangibly to rein in their more violent factions that involves action and direct confrontation?
There isn't a lot that we can do besides educating and protesting against these sickening acts. Most Muslims that are able to speak against these people don't live in the countries involved.
Lizard... But again... There IS so much for you to do if you want to save it... On the t.v. we see these huge rallies against the Jews and the Americans.. Why can't your people rage a huge rally against their views and share verses from the Quran to show them where they are wrong?

I'm sorry to be so direct...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Lizard Man
Familiar Member

Post by Lizard Man »

Gman wrote:Why can't your people rage a huge rally against their views and share verses from the Quran to show them where they are wrong?
Money. :lol:
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Lizard Man wrote:
Gman wrote:Why can't your people rage a huge rally against their views and share verses from the Quran to show them where they are wrong?
Ah, the other major religion.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Lizard Man wrote:
No offense Lizard but that is easy to deal with in our t.v. age... Here is the 3 step process..

1. Just get the local mosque to meet up at your local city council.

2. Call your local t.v. news team and tell them that you want to televise a protest against the terrorists (for your own protection please don't give them your real names). Also the t.v. news teams will be glad to do this for free by the way (it actually gives them money)...

3. Get a few markers, write the true Islam verses down on some poster boards, show them off at the protest with the t.v. coverage running and there you go... It will probably make it to cnn too..

With the markers, poster board and gas it takes for you to get the city council (depending on how far that is), I would imagine would be 5 dollars tops a piece.

How's that?

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
YLTYLT
Established Member

Post by YLTYLT »

Atticus Finch wrote:I've been having doubts about why the name and belief in Jesus will save one from the punishment of his sins. Of course, it's rooted in logic to suppose that without such a thing we would all fall short of the mark of perfection. If a man lived each of his days and killed a person each day for his entire life, but upon his death bed he accepted Christ with full sincerity of heart in repentance of his sins then is it still logical to assume this man into Heaven?

Please don't take my doubts as insults. It is good to question. It is good to explore. It is good to be sure. It is good to rely on both wisdom, logic, knowledge, and then faith in understanding. I am trying my best as I can to fully understand and investigate all. There are some points which go against the logic in which I try to understand them. It would seem, to me, a great injustice if a man like the above who killed many could be forgiven of his sins and accepted into Heaven.
Maybe not to the same degree that you are describing, but Paul considered himself to be the chief of sinners. Before his conversion, He killed, tortured and did just about all anyone could do against Christians in his time.

But of course his conversion experience was rather fantastic and amazing. I think many people would believe today if they had a similar experience as Paul's on the road to Damascus.

Consider that, If God is infinite, then everything about him should be infinite. Therefore His Grace is infinite. Infinite Grace can cover even the sins of a man like the one you have described. If his Grace is not infinite, then you would be right to say that a man could commit enough sin that God's grace would not be enough to receive him into Heaven.

But if his Grace is not infinite then God is not the God the Bible teaches, because He then would have a limit.

But also realize that even infinite Grace cannot cover the sins of a man that has no faith.

I realize that this may not clear anything up, but it is some ideas to think about.

In Christ,
Lizard Man
Familiar Member

Post by Lizard Man »

Byblos wrote:Ah, the other major religion.
You won't find much arguement against that statement. :lol: