My Psychic/Spirit theory(Poll included, read before voting)

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.

What do you think about psychic abilities?

Power! Mine! All mine! Mwahahahaha!
1
5%
It's possible, but very rare and nearly impossible to voluntarily develop.
4
20%
It is a gift from God given to a select few individuals.
5
25%
I don't believe in such things.
6
30%
I want my ten minutes back.
3
15%
Psychics? Buddhists? Superpowers? Heresy! Burn in hell! Hssssssssss...
1
5%
 
Total votes: 20

Anonymous
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#46

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:24 pm

Yeah but i think that was in Jesus's mind, there's no indication that Satan took on any form.

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#47

Post by Mastermind » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:04 pm

He could have though.

User avatar
RGeeB
Established Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:31 am
Christian: No
Location: Surrey, England
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#48

Post by RGeeB » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:26 am

Something I was asked recently - Does the devil know what you are thinking or is he only capable of feeding thoughts?
Maranatha!

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#49

Post by Mastermind » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:32 pm

We have machines that can detect brainwave patterns, and lie detectors, so I don't think it's impossible. However, I do not believe anybody other than God can see your most inner thoughts. So while the devil might be able to predict what you're thinking or feeling at a certain moment with good accuracy, I highly doubt he can read your mind like an open book.

Dan
Valued Member
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:58 pm
Christian: No
Location: Syosset, New York
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#50

Post by Dan » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:07 pm

I'm sorry I had to cast my vote that way, but that's the way I feel (I chose the last option). I see gifts from God as only that and nothing that is latent within our minds that needs unlocking. A Christian with "psychic" powers really just has a gift from God, nothing special considering we're all gifted in some way :D

The reason I voted the way I was is that I draw a very thick black line between gifts from God and all the rest. Anything I call psionics is bad against my mind.

This is coming from a person who once did try to develop psionic ability (before I become a Christian) and did have a degree of success. I'm against it now.

User avatar
Prodigal Son
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:49 pm
Christian: No
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#51

Post by Prodigal Son » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:53 pm

is spontaneous combustion a psychic ability?! :D

User avatar
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:22 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#52

Post by Mastermind » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:15 pm

Depends. It could be a pyrokinetic's slip or simply a strange chemical imbalance. And Dan, don't worry about it. I disagree with you but at this point it doesn't matter who's right.

User avatar
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:57 pm
Christian: No
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#53

Post by Battlehelmet » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:59 am

vvart wrote: Jesus got his powers from the Holy Spirit which is essentially from God or himself since God is a Trinity. Ok so your gonna have to be cautious when you claim Jesus had psychic abilities as their is no real evidence for that.

Your theory is interesting however I think your giving Demons and Satan way to much power.

I posted two Scriptures that describe exactly what you are talking about.

I do not believe in mediums,spirits,unclean spirits,spirits of prositution or "physic" hotline BD 1800-Cleopatra....I reject Tarot card reading,pagan Wiccanism and the rest of that as well gnositicm and heresy.

I believe God is omniscient, therefore rules over our minds.

User avatar
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm
Christian: No
Location: Calgary
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#54

Post by bizzt » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:36 am

Battlehelmet wrote:
I do not believe in mediums,spirits,unclean spirits,spirits of prositution or "physic" hotline BD 1800-Cleopatra....I reject Tarot card reading,pagan Wiccanism and the rest of that as well gnositicm and heresy.
You do not believe in these things??? Peter and John rebuked a Woman that had these spirits in her.

Clearly you must believe in Spirits as the bible informs us

Mat 8:16
Mat 10:1
Mat 12:45
Mar 1:27
Mar 3:11
Mar 5:13
Mar 6:7
Act 5:16
Act 8:7
Act 19:13
1Jo 4:1

User avatar
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:57 pm
Christian: No
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#55

Post by Battlehelmet » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:20 am

Mastermind wrote:We have machines that can detect brainwave patterns, and lie detectors, so I don't think it's impossible. However, I do not believe anybody other than God can see your most inner thoughts. So while the devil might be able to predict what you're thinking or feeling at a certain moment with good accuracy, I highly doubt he can read your mind like an open book.

That.. I agree with.

User avatar
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:57 pm
Christian: No
Location: Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#56

Post by Battlehelmet » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:24 am

bizzt wrote:
Battlehelmet wrote:
I do not believe in mediums,spirits,unclean spirits,spirits of prositution or "physic" hotline BD 1800-Cleopatra....I reject Tarot card reading,pagan Wiccanism and the rest of that as well gnositicm and heresy.
You do not believe in these things??? Peter and John rebuked a Woman that had these spirits in her.

Clearly you must believe in Spirits as the bible informs us

Mat 8:16
Mat 10:1
Mat 12:45
Mar 1:27
Mar 3:11
Mar 5:13
Mar 6:7
Act 5:16
Act 8:7
Act 19:13
1Jo 4:1


I made a typo and overall statement error. I believe in the Spirit of God, amnd other relevant bible spirits but reject the physic 1-800 call medium ouija board BS. I more than likely agree with all of the Scripture you referenced. I just didn't word my statement correctly. For example, a Biblical example of the spirit of prositution is prosituting your spirit to unclean way and idolatrous religions.

Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:24 am
Christian: No
Location: Calgary, Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#57

Post by Felgar » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:35 am

Battlehelmet wrote:I believe in the Spirit of God, amnd other relevant bible spirits but reject the physic 1-800 call medium ouija board BS. I more than likely agree with all of the Scripture you referenced.
With regards to ouija boards, etc. do you not think it's possible that Satan controls these for the purpose of deception? For psychics, really if Satan is speaking to them they would be entirely capable of knowing anything in the past really. Might that not be an effective way to lead people who are naturally "mystical/religious" away from the truth?

There are numerous reports of people who have actually had a ouija board working, and had it go beserk when they finally asked it, "Who is Jesus?" It happenned to my mom actually. Personally I think Satan uses things like that as an opportunity to influence people... And spiritual matters of the like should NOT be triffled with.

User avatar
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm
Christian: No
Location: Calgary
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#58

Post by bizzt » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:48 am

Battlehelmet wrote:
bizzt wrote:
Battlehelmet wrote:
I do not believe in mediums,spirits,unclean spirits,spirits of prositution or "physic" hotline BD 1800-Cleopatra....I reject Tarot card reading,pagan Wiccanism and the rest of that as well gnositicm and heresy.
You do not believe in these things??? Peter and John rebuked a Woman that had these spirits in her.

Clearly you must believe in Spirits as the bible informs us

Mat 8:16
Mat 10:1
Mat 12:45
Mar 1:27
Mar 3:11
Mar 5:13
Mar 6:7
Act 5:16
Act 8:7
Act 19:13
1Jo 4:1


I made a typo and overall statement error. I believe in the Spirit of God, amnd other relevant bible spirits but reject the physic 1-800 call medium ouija board BS. I more than likely agree with all of the Scripture you referenced. I just didn't word my statement correctly. For example, a Biblical example of the spirit of prositution is prosituting your spirit to unclean way and idolatrous religions.
yes I win :lol: About your 1-800 Medium, ouija board etc... I believe there is a spirit behind them!

My opinion however

Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:24 am
Christian: No
Location: Calgary, Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#59

Post by Felgar » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:58 am

bizzt wrote:yes I win :lol:
ROFL. A rare victory! How does it feel?

Do you want a cupie doll? ;)

User avatar
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm
Christian: No
Location: Calgary
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#60

Post by bizzt » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:36 am

Felgar wrote:
bizzt wrote:yes I win :lol:
ROFL. A rare victory! How does it feel?

Do you want a cupie doll? ;)
Do I hear the Rant? Speech Speech!!
I would like to thank... My Mom, Dad
SURE!!!! I will meet you at 8th and 7th :wink: :lol:

Post Reply