My Psychic/Spirit theory(Poll included, read before voting)

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.

What do you think about psychic abilities?

Power! Mine! All mine! Mwahahahaha!
5%
It's possible, but very rare and nearly impossible to voluntarily develop.
20%
It is a gift from God given to a select few individuals.
25%
I don't believe in such things.
30%
I want my ten minutes back.
15%
Psychics? Buddhists? Superpowers? Heresy! Burn in hell! Hssssssssss...
5%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah but i think that was in Jesus's mind, there's no indication that Satan took on any form.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

He could have though.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

Something I was asked recently - Does the devil know what you are thinking or is he only capable of feeding thoughts?
Maranatha!
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

We have machines that can detect brainwave patterns, and lie detectors, so I don't think it's impossible. However, I do not believe anybody other than God can see your most inner thoughts. So while the devil might be able to predict what you're thinking or feeling at a certain moment with good accuracy, I highly doubt he can read your mind like an open book.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

I'm sorry I had to cast my vote that way, but that's the way I feel (I chose the last option). I see gifts from God as only that and nothing that is latent within our minds that needs unlocking. A Christian with "psychic" powers really just has a gift from God, nothing special considering we're all gifted in some way :D

The reason I voted the way I was is that I draw a very thick black line between gifts from God and all the rest. Anything I call psionics is bad against my mind.

This is coming from a person who once did try to develop psionic ability (before I become a Christian) and did have a degree of success. I'm against it now.
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

is spontaneous combustion a psychic ability?! :D
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Depends. It could be a pyrokinetic's slip or simply a strange chemical imbalance. And Dan, don't worry about it. I disagree with you but at this point it doesn't matter who's right.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

vvart wrote: Jesus got his powers from the Holy Spirit which is essentially from God or himself since God is a Trinity. Ok so your gonna have to be cautious when you claim Jesus had psychic abilities as their is no real evidence for that.

Your theory is interesting however I think your giving Demons and Satan way to much power.

I posted two Scriptures that describe exactly what you are talking about.

I do not believe in mediums,spirits,unclean spirits,spirits of prositution or "physic" hotline BD 1800-Cleopatra....I reject Tarot card reading,pagan Wiccanism and the rest of that as well gnositicm and heresy.

I believe God is omniscient, therefore rules over our minds.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Battlehelmet wrote:
I do not believe in mediums,spirits,unclean spirits,spirits of prositution or "physic" hotline BD 1800-Cleopatra....I reject Tarot card reading,pagan Wiccanism and the rest of that as well gnositicm and heresy.
You do not believe in these things??? Peter and John rebuked a Woman that had these spirits in her.

Clearly you must believe in Spirits as the bible informs us

Mat 8:16
Mat 10:1
Mat 12:45
Mar 1:27
Mar 3:11
Mar 5:13
Mar 6:7
Act 5:16
Act 8:7
Act 19:13
1Jo 4:1
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

Mastermind wrote:We have machines that can detect brainwave patterns, and lie detectors, so I don't think it's impossible. However, I do not believe anybody other than God can see your most inner thoughts. So while the devil might be able to predict what you're thinking or feeling at a certain moment with good accuracy, I highly doubt he can read your mind like an open book.

That.. I agree with.
Battlehelmet
Recognized Member

Post by Battlehelmet »

bizzt wrote:
Battlehelmet wrote:
You do not believe in these things??? Peter and John rebuked a Woman that had these spirits in her.

I made a typo and overall statement error. I believe in the Spirit of God, amnd other relevant bible spirits but reject the physic 1-800 call medium ouija board BS. I more than likely agree with all of the Scripture you referenced. I just didn't word my statement correctly. For example, a Biblical example of the spirit of prositution is prosituting your spirit to unclean way and idolatrous religions.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Battlehelmet wrote:I believe in the Spirit of God, amnd other relevant bible spirits but reject the physic 1-800 call medium ouija board BS. I more than likely agree with all of the Scripture you referenced.
With regards to ouija boards, etc. do you not think it's possible that Satan controls these for the purpose of deception? For psychics, really if Satan is speaking to them they would be entirely capable of knowing anything in the past really. Might that not be an effective way to lead people who are naturally "mystical/religious" away from the truth?

There are numerous reports of people who have actually had a ouija board working, and had it go beserk when they finally asked it, "Who is Jesus?" It happenned to my mom actually. Personally I think Satan uses things like that as an opportunity to influence people... And spiritual matters of the like should NOT be triffled with.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

Battlehelmet wrote:
bizzt wrote:
Battlehelmet wrote:

I made a typo and overall statement error. I believe in the Spirit of God, amnd other relevant bible spirits but reject the physic 1-800 call medium ouija board BS. I more than likely agree with all of the Scripture you referenced. I just didn't word my statement correctly. For example, a Biblical example of the spirit of prositution is prosituting your spirit to unclean way and idolatrous religions.
yes I win :lol: About your 1-800 Medium, ouija board etc... I believe there is a spirit behind them!

My opinion however
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

bizzt wrote:yes I win :lol:
ROFL. A rare victory! How does it feel?

Do you want a cupie doll? ;)
bizzt

Post by bizzt »