My Psychic/Spirit theory(Poll included, read before voting)

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.

What do you think about psychic abilities?

Power! Mine! All mine! Mwahahahaha!
5%
It's possible, but very rare and nearly impossible to voluntarily develop.
20%
It is a gift from God given to a select few individuals.
25%
I don't believe in such things.
30%
I want my ten minutes back.
15%
Psychics? Buddhists? Superpowers? Heresy! Burn in hell! Hssssssssss...
5%

Total votes: 20

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If you consider talking with God magic, then talking with people would also be magic as well, since both is merely talking.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

People aren't extraplanary entities.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah but still your really changing the definition to be something very different, I see what your saying but still its a definition most people won't be confortable with as "magic" isn't really supported in the bible. Perhaps making up a new word? :D
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

The Catholic church holds a similar belief in regard to more modern uses of the word "magic". They considered all powers coming from God as white magic and everything else as black magic. At any rate, the Bible's definition of magic is not necessarily the most widely accepted one, as not everybody believes all magic is bad. As such, I am not really changing its definition, I am simply looking at it from a different perspective. ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

heh alright, what about sorcery, thats mainly what the bible warns us against.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

the Bible gives its own definition of magic, and if you want to know what to stay away from, you should look for the specifics(like divination, or drawing powers from any spirit other than God). Magic is too general a word today.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ahh yes divination thats what i was thinking of!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

vvart wrote:possessed people did have huge strength
Epileptics show huge strength whilst fitting: there is nothing unnatural, psychic or particularly inexplicable about people with mental disorders showing this symptom.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

You are, of course, assuming all people believed to be posessed to have been mentally unstable instead.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

No, I am suggesting that there is no need for a paranormal explanation of the huge strength demonstrated by people with problems: that is equally applicable to the possessed.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Let's not forget, however, that the devil may incarnate himself. I'd say that is quite a display of power as well. I don't know how strong exactly posessed people were, so I don't think I'm qualified to answer that. I do know that people often underestimate the Devil's ability in the physical realm. Even if he doesn't directly interefere too often(from fear of punishment), he still can't help it sometimes.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I don't think the devil has incarnated as of yet, but I'm assuming he will as the anti-christ. Also demon possessed had not just huge strength but super human strength meaning they could break through shackles and other barriers, something that is physically impossible even if you were an epileptic. Basically a demon possessed person couldn't be physically stopped without killing them i believe.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Depends how bad the possession was. Some people could be stopped. By like a dozen other people struggling. To be honest, there are odd occasions where desperate people have done impossible feats(remember the baby Superman saving his parents? While a baby couldn't do that, there have been people lifting huge objects that they shouldn't be able to lift). As for satan not incarnating yet, what about the snake? Or the desert?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Oh yeah the snake, yeah your right, Satan incarnates into that form, but I always think of a human form when that word comes to mind. :o
Desert?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

When Satan tempted Jesus in those 40 days he spent in the desert. Unless I am confusing events.