Why do I feel the cross is not a good thing?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
desires2b
Newbie Member

Why do I feel the cross is not a good thing?

Post by desires2b »

I have been searching for an answer to a feeling that the cross wouldn't or shouldn't be admired. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Re: Why do I feel the cross is not a good thing?

Post by Believer »

desires2b wrote:I have been searching for an answer to a feeling that the cross wouldn't or shouldn't be admired. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
It isn't the cross that shouldn't or wouldn't be admired, it is the person on the cross that should be admired. The cross is a symbol of remembrance of Jesus Christ's special death. Although other crucifixions were done by cross, Jesus' crucifixion on the cross was the most important in all of history. That is why we remember Him by using the symbol of the cross. We admire Jesus.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Agreed Brian.. And I must say that I feel you've come a long ways.

Desires, the cross is not what is to be honored. Jesus is our saviour, Jesus is Lord, and Jesus is worthy of praise. The cross should only serve to remind us of those very things.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Why do I feel the cross is not a good thing?

Post by Jbuza »

desires2b wrote:I have been searching for an answer to a feeling that the cross wouldn't or shouldn't be admired. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
I agree Thinker, it is a symbol. The cross should be despised, it is a cruel punishment, and a sad thing for sure to have done to a good man, let alone the Son of God.

There is reason to hate the cross, as the symbol of the sin and wickedness of man that caused such a thing.

There is reason to admire the cross, as the symbol of the faithful obedience of a Son that loves His Father and obeys His will.

There is reason to love the cross, as the symbol of the love of a Creator that would care about fellowship with us so much.

But its not really about the cross, it just reminds us about our relationship with God. I believe in a literal cross, not just the symbolic one.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

is it disrespectful to wear a cross around your neck? like a Rosary?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

SUGAAAAA wrote:is it disrespectful to wear a cross around your neck? like a Rosary?
No, it is a symbol to show your faith in Christ. It is to show that you accept His death as the ultimate punishment for your salvation.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

however have you noticed that in the younger generation such as mine, the 15 to 20 year olds they wear Crosses not because the believe in the LORD Jesus but because it is the "cool" thing to wear. it is rather annoying.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

ryo dokomi wrote:however have you noticed that in the younger generation such as mine, the 15 to 20 year olds they wear Crosses not because the believe in the LORD Jesus but because it is the "cool" thing to wear. it is rather annoying.
Not only that, but I have seen props of crosses from halloween mixing evil into it as well as halloween demons wearing crosses. Purity IS NOT demonic, which now a days is shown. I see so many people on t.v. wearing the cross around their neck while they have the most distasteful and hating (among other things) behavior.
ryo dokomi
Established Member

Post by ryo dokomi »

OHH MY!!? i havent seen the halloween one. that just makes things much worse than i thought. but here is an interesting question...what can we as CHRISTIANS do about such things??
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

Get thoroughly discouraged, being too upset inwardly, and feel like it's a hopeless cause! lol That's my response, at least!