Posters Outside Churches

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Paradox
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Posters Outside Churches

Post by Paradox »

I recently passed a church near to where I live which had a poster outside (as many do), It said the following:

GOD KNOWS WHEN YOU WERE LAST IN CHURCH

Well, I supposed the primary objective of putting up these posters is to grab the attention of passers-by, and that it most certainly did. But I couldn't help thinking that I didn't like it. To me, it seems that that poster prays on the emotion of guilt in order to persuade people to attend church, which i don't really see as 'right' despite the fact that guilt is often a great motivator.
I much prefer inspiring posters, which maybe contain a bible quote and a simple but catchy, and thought-provoking message. Sometimes, even the simple ones i see outside my own church appear to be very well designed and thought-out. For example, a year ago we had one outside church that said simply: PRAYSTATION with the symbols on the playstaion buttons after it, but the X symbol replaced with a 'christian cross'.

What does everyone think about posters, and what do you reckon is the ideal thing to put on one?
j316
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by j316 »

I agree that using guilt is probably counterproductive. Most people react to induced guilt with anger.

A billboard is simply a way of communicating with passers-by, I don't have any problem with about anything a parish might want to say as long as it is appropriate.