A subject some may feel uncomfortable with.

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Dan
Valued Member
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:58 pm
Christian: No
Location: Syosset, New York
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

A subject some may feel uncomfortable with.

#1

Post by Dan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:37 pm

The subject is masturbation.

Is it a sin in of itself?

The Bible says nothing explicit about it. There is that story in Genesis about Onan and how he disobeyed God. But that isn't masturbation being the sin, that is the act being used as a means of sinning, the sin being greed. Onan didn't want his dead brother's wife to have children because they would have the inheritance and not Onan himself. This doesn't make it a sin, just the vessel of sin.

Masturbation is self-induced ejaculation.

Leviticus 15:16-18

So, you are unclean until evening after bathing, even if it is with your wife. Is masturbation a sin, unless you make big inferences, it isn't.

But what about the fantasies associated with the act? Yes those are sinful, because they involve lust after a member of the opposite sex. Adultery starts in the heart, if the object of the act isn't the spouse of the person doing the act, it's adultery.

So, what are your thoughts? I'm not sure on this subject myself and I want everyones opinions, there are plenty of better Christians here to discuss this with. It's a pretty iffy subject too, one that doesn't come up because people are embarassed to discuss it. Let's bring this out in the open for any lost teenager who needs guidance.

User avatar
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2163
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:37 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Location: Austin, Texas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time
Contact:

#2

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:13 pm

I don't know, but I do know that if Clinton had taken note of this, he wouldn't have been caught...it was on the dress!
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous

kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:07 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota, US
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Cheating Innocence

#3

Post by kateliz » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:00 pm

Shouldn't it be considered cheating on innocence itself? Even if you don't have an adulterous heart, aren't you still damaging your innocence? Won't it affect the brand-newness of sex for your honey moon? I'm not positive on this either, but these things I've mentioned make sense to me. Based on them it would make sense for it to be a sin.

j316
Established Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:33 pm
Christian: No
Location: Panama City Florida
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#4

Post by j316 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:14 am

Since sin is basically just shutting out God, making fellowship with Him impossible, then masturbation would certainly qualify as sin. Unless you like an audience it is essentially a private act.
Actually that brings up an interesting point, do we have any private time where God is concerned?

I think of it not so much as a sin as an error, you have an incorrect perception of yourself and your role in life.

Once4all
Familiar Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:40 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

One online study of the subject

#5

Post by Once4all » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:30 pm

I'm not advocating this website in general. Some stuff is a little weird. Nor am I implying agreement or disagreement with the article. However, they do have a biblical study on the subject:

http://www.atruechurch.info/home.html

Scroll down the left side to the "Controversy" area and there you will find it.

Once4all

voicingmaster
Established Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:24 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#6

Post by voicingmaster » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:44 pm

j316 wrote:Since sin is basically just shutting out God, making fellowship with Him impossible, then masturbation would certainly qualify as sin. Unless you like an audience it is essentially a private act.
Actually that brings up an interesting point, do we have any private time where God is concerned?

I think of it not so much as a sin as an error, you have an incorrect perception of yourself and your role in life.
Having sex with your wife would be a private act, as is going to the bathroom. Are these sins as well?

j316
Established Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:33 pm
Christian: No
Location: Panama City Florida
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#7

Post by j316 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:08 am

voicingmaster wrote:
j316 wrote:Since sin is basically just shutting out God, making fellowship with Him impossible, then masturbation would certainly qualify as sin. Unless you like an audience it is essentially a private act.
Actually that brings up an interesting point, do we have any private time where God is concerned?

I think of it not so much as a sin as an error, you have an incorrect perception of yourself and your role in life.
Having sex with your wife would be a private act, as is going to the bathroom. Are these sins as well?
Well I guess whether or not these things are sins would depend on where the limits of our personal lives lie. Actually God pretty much commanded you to make love to your wife, and I'm sure He understands the nature of potty breaks. But did He did make your reproductive organ for sex within His guidelines or does He not care if you decide to seize it for your private purposes?

I feel that he didn't intend some of the uses we have found for them and that makes it a sin.

voicingmaster
Established Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:24 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#8

Post by voicingmaster » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:49 pm

j316 wrote:
voicingmaster wrote:
j316 wrote:Since sin is basically just shutting out God, making fellowship with Him impossible, then masturbation would certainly qualify as sin. Unless you like an audience it is essentially a private act.
Actually that brings up an interesting point, do we have any private time where God is concerned?

I think of it not so much as a sin as an error, you have an incorrect perception of yourself and your role in life.
Having sex with your wife would be a private act, as is going to the bathroom. Are these sins as well?
Well I guess whether or not these things are sins would depend on where the limits of our personal lives lie. Actually God pretty much commanded you to make love to your wife, and I'm sure He understands the nature of potty breaks. But did He did make your reproductive organ for sex within His guidelines or does He not care if you decide to seize it for your private purposes?

I feel that he didn't intend some of the uses we have found for them and that makes it a sin.
Actually in Levicitus, it is mentioned as an appropiate way of getting off. It states that whoever produces semen on his own shall bathe in water to become clean, and he will be unclean until nightfall, and the same thing goes for with a woman. If a man were to eject semen into a woman, then they both shall bathe and then they will both be unclean until nightfall.

Ergo, masturbation is no worse than doing it with your wife. And we don't exactly follow the cleanseness rules of Levicitus anymore, b/c all was made clean through Christ.

And if you don't believe me :

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?boo ... text=verse

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?boo ... text=verse

User avatar
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:44 pm
Christian: No
Location: Oregon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: One online study of the subject

#9

Post by Believer » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:36 pm

Once4all wrote:I'm not advocating this website in general. Some stuff is a little weird. Nor am I implying agreement or disagreement with the article. However, they do have a biblical study on the subject:

http://www.atruechurch.info/home.html

Scroll down the left side to the "Controversy" area and there you will find it.

Once4all
This website sums it up for me, it's hard as hell to get into heaven!

XenonII
Established Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:57 pm
Christian: No
Location: Australia
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Self Abusing Adultury

#10

Post by XenonII » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:22 am

Definitely a sin because it involves lust. It is also self abuse and wasteful. Although a difficult thing to overcome, as it requires a huge amount of effort, through Christ Jesus all things are possible and it can be overcome. :)

ochotseat
Senior Member
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 5:16 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: A subject some may feel uncomfortable with.

#11

Post by ochotseat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:04 am

Dan wrote: But what about the fantasies associated with the act? .
What if you don't fantasize about anything or you fantasize about nonsexual things while you do it?

If masturbation is a sin, we're all guilty of it! :oops:

marys_little_one
Acquainted Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:27 am
Christian: No
Location: somewhere in the world
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#12

Post by marys_little_one » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:55 am

Masturbation IS morally wrong. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
2352 "By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."137 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."138 "

IT IS WRONG BECAUSE IT BASICALLY SEX WITH YOURSELF. IN OTHER WORDS....A PERSON IS NOT OPEN TO LIFE!!

IT IS BEING SELFISH AND TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR POWER TO CREATE LIFE................AND JUST ON A SIDE NOTE........NOT EVERYONE DOES IT!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1654
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm
Christian: No
Location: Calgary
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#13

Post by bizzt » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:01 am

marys_little_one wrote:Masturbation IS morally wrong. The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
2352 "By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."137 "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."138 "

IT IS WRONG BECAUSE IT BASICALLY SEX WITH YOURSELF. IN OTHER WORDS....A PERSON IS NOT OPEN TO LIFE!!

IT IS BEING SELFISH AND TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOUR POWER TO CREATE LIFE................AND JUST ON A SIDE NOTE........NOT EVERYONE DOES IT!!!!!!!!!
Not that I disagree Completely but since People are not of the Catholic Faith do you mind putting some Scriptures with your Thoughts.

Thanks

Jay_7
Established Member
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#14

Post by Jay_7 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:49 am

Oh no, ive never known it was a sin :x

So is it wrong? :oops:

User avatar
SUGAAAAA
Established Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:42 pm
Christian: No
Location: California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#15

Post by SUGAAAAA » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:24 pm

Well Jesus said that if you lust after another women, you have commited adultery in your heart, but didnt that apply to married men lusting after woman (not including their wife)?
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.

Post Reply