Prayer Doesn't Seem To Be Working

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Prayer Doesn't Seem To Be Working

Post by Believer »

Hello, I just wanted to know why when I pray for my brothers illness, the illness doesn't go away. He has a stomach virus. I have to say, I have prayed for him many times but nothing happens, something I havn't noticed changed in him. The catch is that he "worships" Satan and claims to not believe in God. He is 17 years old. Why are my prayers for him going unanswered? Why does God allow suffering on this planet if he is a loving God, I relize since the fall of man, things bad can happen, but why doesn't God interven more in ones life like he did back in the biblical times?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

The catch is that he "worships" Satan and claims to not believe in God

Need we say more?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

But wouldnt God still do something for him in terms of healing? God is all loving so why wouldnt he help even the most wicked?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

what did Jesus say?

"Fear not that which can kill the body, but rather fear the one who can kill the soul".

If your brother is a Satanist, his health is the last thing you should be worrying about.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

As a side note, if you heal his soul, his body will follow.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

This is sort of off topic to this thread but relates to my brother. Do magic spells under evil power REALLY work? Is there proof/evidence for it? Or is it all just physcological?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Yes, I believe they do. Satan may be fallen, but he's still an angel, and angels have quite a bit of power. I'd expect that one that was above all but God would be capable of powering some sort of spell, especially when the use of his powers earns him more souls.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Mastermind wrote:Yes, I believe they do. Satan may be fallen, but he's still an angel, and angels have quite a bit of power. I'd expect that one that was above all but God would be capable of powering some sort of spell, especially when the use of his powers earns him more souls.
But is there proof or evidence for it?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

You will never find much evidence of the supernatural since people don't usually talk about it. If you want to find out, i suggest either google.ca or attend a satanist convention and see if they are capable of anything yourself.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

HelpMeGod wrote:Why does God allow suffering on this planet if he is a loving God
You'll find some answers at Is An All-Powerful And All-Good God Inconsistent With Evil?

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Mastermind wrote:You will never find much evidence of the supernatural since people don't usually talk about it. If you want to find out, i suggest either google.ca or attend a satanist convention and see if they are capable of anything yourself.
NOOO!!!! Stay as far away from that crapp as you can Brian. Sorry Mastermind, but I honestly don't think it's a good idea for all but the most strong Christians to even consider dabbling in the like. And for a 'young' Christian who's questioning his faith I just think it's a terrible idea.

Believe me Brian, the power is real and it's dangerous. On a missions trip to the Philippines my uncle became friends with a number of people who knew that a local witch-doctor had killed many people with sprititual and demonic spells/curses. If you REALLY want to see it, then team up with a missions group that's led by and consists of a lot of people who are spiritually strong in their faith, and head out to a 3rd-world country. You'll see plenty of evidence, plus you'll help the poor at the same time.

Or if you won't take other people's word, how about God's?
Jude 1:8-9
In the very same way, these dreamers pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slander celestial beings. But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

Interesting, no? The most powerful angel didn't slander satan himself, but instead called upon the name of the Lord. Satan clearly has real and tangible power. And we're the same - the power within and the power by which satan has no hold on us, is only found in the Lord. There are numerous accounts of Christians who've attacked satan and called him out, only to find themselves in BIG trouble because they didn't really understand that it's the Lord and not themselves that delivers them from satan.

About your brother, consider this scenario: Your brother doesn't want to be healed so God will not do it against his will. Why doesn't he want to be healed? Because satan is working through and with him, maintaining his sickness so that you will question your faith.

My advice is to pray for deliverance of your brother; not for some minor physical ailment. And like the Lord prayed, pray for yourself that God will "deliver us from the evil one" because in your situation, evil is knocking on the door. (Again, also noteworthy that the Lord's prayer would end with "deliver us from the evil one") And also, do whatever you can to fellowship with other believers because they will help strengthen your walk with God. Don't miss church, and additionally fellowship with other believers (like in a Bible study or something) at least once a week. I say this because I don't take the power that satan has to deceive lightly; and I fear that you're walking on thin ice.

Edit: Another good strategy would be to talk to your pastor and ask for he and a number of elders to pray for your brother. The battle you're fighting is a spiritual one, and prayer and faith are your only weapons.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Okay, so I'm still a little skeptical as a "baby" Christian. I read somewhere A LONG TIME AGO that prayer works because one hears that they are being prayed for therefore they believe they think they are being healed and they are healed through their own physcological means. Kind of like a placebo, it's fake, but it works. So how can we know for sure prayer really does work and it isn't by chance, physcological, etc... What evidence is there that God does intervene in ones life?

I pray to God in the following order:

1.) Praise God
2.) Pray For Others
3.) Pray For Forgivness
4.) Pray For Myself
5.) Praise God

Although that is the way to pray, I believe, nothing happens for me, and if changes are just subtle, could we just say it is ones own body taking its natural course through nature and there is no God?
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

I'm not going to argue with the doubts that satan has crept into your mind. Focus on the bigger picture - seek the Lord in prayer and fellowship with other believers and watch the muddy water clear for yourself! Then you'll know it's real. Logic and arguments have no role here...

Ephesians 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Incidently, this is right out of the Armor of God passage, which explains how we need our faith and prayer in our struggle against satan.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

HelpMeGod wrote:Okay, so I'm still a little skeptical as a "baby" Christian. I read somewhere A LONG TIME AGO that prayer works because one hears that they are being prayed for therefore they believe they think they are being healed and they are healed through their own physcological means. Kind of like a placebo, it's fake, but it works. So how can we know for sure prayer really does work and it isn't by chance, physcological, etc... What evidence is there that God does intervene in ones life?
Actually, many of these prayer tests are carried out without the patients knowledge. ;)

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

Talk with your brother! He is letting himself be subject to satan's grasp and only when it is loosened will he find mercy from the Lord. Talk to him, tell him you love him and that you want him to be healthy. Show him the good that is Jesus and show him how Jesus is greater than Satan, much greater. Once your brother is born-again, he will be freed from Satan's evil.