Take the Angel Quiz! How much do you know?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Take the Angel Quiz! How much do you know?

Post by Philip »

What are angels? How many wings do they have? What do they do, look like, etc?

This quiz about angels was put together as a fun way to promote Dr. Michael Heiser's book, "Angels." It's a lot of fun and challenges your knowledge of what you may THINK you know about angels, and will compare your answers to what the Bible reveals about them: https://blog.lexhampress.com/wp_quiz/an ... l-or-myth/

The questions are under the pictures on each page - it's only 12 questions - how hard can it be? LOL
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Take the Angel Quiz! How much do you know?

Post by RickD »

He went off on his false belief that angels reproduced.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: He went off on his false belief that angels reproduced.
Maybe.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:32 pm
Maybe.
Maybe he went off on the belief? Or, maybe the belief is false?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

There are a variety of views on this issue, noted here: https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don ... rt_723.cfm And here: https://www.gotquestions.org/sons-of-God.html

Heiser explains his view here: https://blog.logos.com/2017/11/who-or-w ... -nephilim/

Who knows - Heiser could be wrong or right on this one - it doesn't matter to me, on a non-doctrinal / non-salvational issue that many Christian scholars disagree upon - and have for centuries.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

No one can say for certain that is a false belief - as it may well be correct. Even the footnotes in the ESV Study Bible (widely acknowledged by evangelical scholars as an excellent translation) say that interpretation that asserts these sons of God to be fallen angels is one possibly legitimate view. It notes, in Hebrew, the term Nepilim means "fallen ones."

Even Hugh Ross, in his book, "Navigating Genesis," acknowledges this interpretation may be accurate (https://reasons.org/explore/publication ... -the-flood).

It is interesting, the juxtapositioning and phrasing in Genesis 6:4, "the sons of God" with "the daughters of man." Why would it need to be specific to note that the daughters were human in context with the odd "sons of God?"

Many try to refute the fallen angels assertion to be wrong based upon Matthew 22:30 - where Jesus says angels do not marry. However, that cannot be used to refute it as Jesus was referring only to angels in Heaven.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I think I’ve been pretty clear on all the threads where we’ve discussed this.

Here’s one:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42444&hilit=Nephilim

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Man, I had forgotten about that crazy Nephalim thread. It's interesting, because this was just before Neo and BW lost it, couldn't stay. I still lean toward the Sons of God does NOT refer to fallen angels, but too many respected scholars - Heiser being one of them - accept that interpretation, to simply say it's OBVIOUS heresy. But one CAN confidently say it's unproven speculation.

I will say something that concerns me about Heiser, brilliant though he is - and that is, once one accepts a certain key narrative as being true, it becomes a danger that, they sometimes begin to view whatever data as re-enforcing that viewpoint. This is Heiser's own criticism of various endtimes theories, that people begin cherrypicking and interpreting Scripture, but notes that if they get a key or missing variable wrong, their entire system falls apart - so he's succeptible to it as well.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

As much as I disagree with Heiser’s belief on this issue, I don’t know if I’d go so far as calling it heresy.

-Edward R Murrow