Is it possible to sell one's soul?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Is it possible to sell one's soul?

Post by Philip »

Do you believe you a person can sell their soul to the devil - a common belief many have.

Are NON-Christians under the influence of Satan?

https://www.gotquestions.org/sell-soul-devil.html

There is so much belief rooted in myth and fiction that even many Christians believe. For instance, so many believe that Satan's current home is hell, which he is in charge of.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Is it possible to sell one's soul?

Post by RickD »

My soul is currently on consignment at a wet market in NYC.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Do you believe you a person can sell their soul to the devil - a common belief many have.
I suppose someone could make a deal with the devil. But if you’re not saved, he already has your soul, so to speak.
Some can be. Just as some believers can be influenced by Satan. But imo, most people are under the influence of their own desires, and Satan gets the blame for something inherently in our nature.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:15 pm
I suppose someone could make a deal with the devil. But if you’re not saved, he already has your soul, so to speak.
Some can be. Just as some believers can be influenced by Satan. But imo, most people are under the influence of their own desires, and Satan gets the blame for something inherently in our nature.
You can be remarkably wise when you put your mind to it.

y=D>

or did your wife post in your name?
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

So, what are we to make of 2 Corinthians 3-4?

"God. 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

Accepting and embracing this blindness has to be voluntary - as people desire to deny and avoid The Truth of the Gospel!
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

2 Corinthians 4:3-4 simply states that the gospel is veiled to unbelievers. The message of 2 Corinthians 4 is that a Christian must continually choose to be honest because our sin nature is still with us. We are to emulate Jesus so that he may live in us. To do this, we must die to ourselves...bla bla bla. (I don’t want to belabor a point which must be evident to Christians.)

So as Ricardo said, if you’re not saved, Satan already has your soul. You may choose to “sell your soul” to the Devil; this would be a conscious choice to reject God, a kind of Evil Confirmation. Making a deal with a liar/thief/con man/murderer is possible but don’t expect him to honor his part of the deal.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

FlieG: 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 simply states that the gospel is veiled to unbelievers. The message of 2 Corinthians 4 is that a Christian must continually choose to be honest because our sin nature is still with us. We are to emulate Jesus so that he may live in us. To do this, we must die to ourselves...bla bla bla. (I don’t want to belabor a point which must be evident to Christians.)
Now, did YOUR wife write that???

:P

I agree that only a tiny percentage of unbelievers have consciously embraced the devil ("sold their soul" - satanists, various small cults) - a horrifying thought!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

So, what is a soul to begin with? Because it's different than one's spirit - cause the Bible separates them. Yet many Christians think of them as being the same thing.

1 Thessalonians 5:23: 23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

https://www.gotquestions.org/human-soul.html
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I’ve always liked Hugh Ross’ explanation about soul and spirit.
https://reasons.org/explore/blogs/today ... sh-animals
According to the Bible, soulish life includes creatures in which God endowed mind, will, and emotions so that they can form relationships with members of their own species as well as with human beings. God designed soulish animals so that each kind serves and/or pleases humanity in its own distinct way. The Bible claims that before humans even existed soulish animals were preprogrammed by God to relate to and to serve and please human beings.1

The Bible defines spiritual life as a God-given capacity in creatures to discover and to form a relationship with Him. In the same manner that He designed soulish animals to serve and please humanity, He made humans to serve and please Him.
I don’t see it in this article, but I remember reading that he said humans have a mind, will, and emotions, so humans have a soul too. This article seems to imply that humans have a spirit, in place of a soul.

-Edward R Murrow