Question of the Day: Is it possible...

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Question of the Day: Is it possible...

Post by Philip »

Do you think it is possible that a person could have previously come to authentic faith in Christ / have been saved, yet later, for a TEMPORARY time of whatever length, go through a period of crisis and seeming unbelief?
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Question of the Day: Is it possible...

Post by Nessa »

I don't know but I do know it's possible to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time... Hope that helps 😊
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Seriously though, I don't know...

What if you die during that temporary time? :-o
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm Do you think it is possible that a person could have previously come to authentic faith in Christ / have been saved, yet later, for a TEMPORARY time of whatever length, go through a period of crisis and seeming unbelief?
Yes, Ask Franklin Graham.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

RickD wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:30 am
Philip wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm Do you think it is possible that a person could have previously come to authentic faith in Christ / have been saved, yet later, for a TEMPORARY time of whatever length, go through a period of crisis and seeming unbelief?
Elaborate.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa: Seriously though, I don't know...

What if you die during that temporary time?
Remember, now, the idea is that a person IS saved forever saved - so there is no such thing as temporary salvation. What I'm speaking of has to do with a person's current PERCEPTIONS that are driving a period of unbelief / great doubt. I say this thinking of my own experience - as I truly believe I came to Christ at 8 years of age, in sincere belief that I never questioned until I was about 17 - at which point I had an atheist friend who was a pretty smart fellow (least I thought he was) - and thus I came to a period of conscious unbelief. But I had a reawakening experience at about 18/19.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

So it comes down to the old 'once saved, always saved?' debate?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:34 am
RickD wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:30 am
Elaborate.
Elaborate? No. It’s pretty simple actually.
:pound:

I remember reading his life story. He turned from God as a teenager. He was very rebellious.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

NO, it's not simple, dummy - everyone else doesn't know his back story - as you apparently do. So he came to faith in Christ and later quit believing (I am vaguely aware he was once living an immoral lifestyle)? Because backsliding into all manner of sin is a different thing than what I am referring to - which is UNBELIEF after salvation.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:51 am
NO, it's not simple, dummy - everyone else doesn't know his back story - as you apparently do. So he came to faith in Christ and later quit believing (I am vaguely aware he was once living an immoral lifestyle)? Because backsliding into all manner of sin is a different thing than what I am referring to - which is UNBELIEF after salvation.
After all these years, you STILL don’t get my jokes. It was a joke on the double meaning of elaborate. You asked me to elaborate-verb. I twisted it and pretended that you meant elaborate-noun, as in complicated. Capiche?

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Nessa wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:08 am So it comes down to the old 'once saved, always saved?' debate?
No, we do not have to slip into the old debate (and let us all guard this.)
It can be talk about experiences, some people's stories and all...
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:08 am So it comes down to the old 'once saved, always saved?' debate?
Or is it, 'never saved, wasn't saved''? y:-?

Scripture says those who deny Jesus Christ here on earth before men, Christ will deny in heaven before the Father and angels.

I can only speak for myself that I feel assured by my hope that I have in Christ. As for others, I can only go by what is visible to me, but I think the focus should more be about correcting truth and trying to demonstrate Christ's love -- not whether or not someone else is going to be condemned or was really saved. We're all in danger if an all-righteous God exists and will judge us.

It is ultimately for Christ to know who authentically receives Him, but I expect in the end it'll be quite obvious because those who did will gather under his wings and be gathered like chicks to a hen.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)