The Pope on Christ: A NON-bodily resurrection?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Pope on Christ: A NON-bodily resurrection?

Post by Philip »

Very curious - no denial and then a non-denial denial? One would think, given the immensity of any supposed mistaken quotes on Christ's resurrection, that the Vatican would immediately deny / correct - IF untrue.

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w- ... nce-spirit
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: The Pope on Christ: A NON-bodily resurrection?

Post by RickD »

Something sounds fishy.

Hasn't this friend misinterpreted the pope in the past?

I'm not buying the idea that the pope does not believe Christ rose bodily. It's a doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Is there some kind of translation error, like a language barrier?

Did this friend misinterpret this, perhaps because he doesn't understand some nuance of what the pope said?

We obviously do not have a recording of the conversation, so it's really all just speculation, isn't it?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

And did YOU actually read the article?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:36 pm And did YOU actually read the article?
Absatively.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Now, how in the heck could the writer get something so important, so wrong - certainly knowing the earth-shaking shock it would likely create? Now, before, concerning previous things he had written about the pope's beliefs, the writer said that only "some" specific words may not have been direct quotes. But this is very different matter that, if true, contradicts a crucial belief and teaching of the Catholic Church, as well as the entire New Testament. Would he, a supposed friend and respected journalist, have made up something so untrue? This in no way can be a distortion of what the pope said - as it would have to be a blatant lie. But the reaction to it by the church is very interesting.

The big problem is, the Holy See issued a non-denial denial about the pope's quotes denying Jesus' Divinity. Meaning, the press release didn't deny that the pope has this false believe about Christ (that Jesus was NOT both man AND God), as it only asserted that what was written "cannot be considered as a faithful account of what was actually said, but rather represent a personal and free interpretation of those who listened, as appears completely evident from what is written today regarding the divinity of Jesus Christ." In that statement , it's telling that there is NO denial that the pope has this belief - which is rather astounding when one realizes the staggering implications if it became widely believed that he'd actually said this.

Considering the pope is the head of the CC and leader of millions of Catholics around the world - and an obviously clever and savvy with using PR in statements and phrasing - he would have to know that news that he had denied the divinity of Jesus and His bodily resurrection could have enormous negative backlash and consequences. So, why would a pope so media savvy not immediately deny it and put out a clear refutation and understanding of what he actually DOES believe, if it's not true? The pope's deafening silence on such a supposed, incredible and widely reported belief along with the Holy See's non-denial denial is just very suspicious. It is simply inconceivable that the pope wouldn't have vigorously and publicly issued a powerful and clarifying statement that refutes the suspicion he's now under about this issue. As it's not always only about what IS said, but often more so about what ISN'T!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I am pretty sure that the Pope probably said that His was a spiritual body, much along the lines of how Paul says that believers will have a new resurrected body that is spiritual in nature ( as opposed to just human).
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Paul: I am pretty sure that the Pope probably said that His was a spiritual body, much along the lines of how Paul says that believers will have a new resurrected body that is spiritual in nature ( as opposed to just human).
Well the huge problem, and the reason we don't know what he truly believes about this, especially in light of this shocking accusation that has produced headlines around the world, the pope has nonetheless maintained "radio silence." But given the massive potential for this to seed doubt in people, concerning Jesus' Deity and that could only feed disbelief in others, the fact that anyone would need to speculate over what he truly believes about this is pathetic and creates great suspicion! And the Holy See's non-denial "denial" has only fed that suspicious speculation.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 am
Paul: I am pretty sure that the Pope probably said that His was a spiritual body, much along the lines of how Paul says that believers will have a new resurrected body that is spiritual in nature ( as opposed to just human).
Well the huge problem, and the reason we don't know what he truly believes about this, especially in light of this shocking accusation that has produced headlines around the world, the pope has nonetheless maintained "radio silence." But given the massive potential for this to seed doubt in people, concerning Jesus' Deity and that could only feed disbelief in others, the fact that anyone would need to speculate over what he truly believes about this is pathetic and creates great suspicion! And the Holy See's non-denial "denial" has only fed that suspicious speculation.
Considering how many times this individual has come out with sensationalist stuff, I am wondering IF the Vatican is playing the ignore game so as to not give him any more publicity.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:23 am
Philip wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 am
Considering how many times this individual has come out with sensationalist stuff, I am wondering IF the Vatican is playing the ignore game so as to not give him any more publicity.
To me, that sounds more likely than the Pope going against a teaching of the Catholic Church.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

It's now a big story driving widespread speculation. It makes no sense at all that there would not be a clear rebuttal. But if you look at some of the other things this pope has said, it would not surprise me whatsoever.