HAS Noah's Ark Been Found? Dr. Norman Geisler Believed So!

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: HAS Noah's Ark Been Found? Dr. Norman Geisler Believed So!

Post by Philip »

It would seem, however, that Psalm 104 denies a global flood. As the Psalmist wrote, “You set a boundary that they [the waters] may not pass over, so that they will not return to cover the earth” (Ps. 104:9).

Here are some views on both sides: http://www.evidenceunseen.com/articles/ ... -or-local/

Here are some young earth asserted evidences for a global flood: https://www.icr.org/article/flood-catas ... tectonics/

Thinking out loud, here, but is it possible that the young earthers are wrong about the earth / universe age issue (which I believe they most certainly are), and yet correct that the flood was global?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Thinking out loud, here, but is it possible that the young earthers are wrong about the earth / universe age issue (which I believe they most certainly are), and yet correct that the flood was global?
Scientific evidence is against a global flood.

Here's one example of many: if there was a global Noahic flood, explain Australia.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

From the first link:
Did the flood destroy all people on Earth?

We feel that the answer to this question is a non-negotiable for believers in the inerrancy and inspiration of the Bible (see “The Inerrancy of Scripture”). It is important for Christians to affirm the historicity of the flood, because Jesus affirmed this event. He even went so far as to compare it to his second coming. He said,
That's already been refuted, multiple times.

There are plenty of people who believe in biblical inerrancy, yet don't hold to such a literal and concrete interpretation.

"All people on the earth" can literally mean, all people in the land. Making a literal(but not concrete) interpretation of the text, to mean all the people in the local land, save Noah and his family, were killed.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:28 am
Philip wrote:
Scientific evidence is against a global flood.
That is definitely true...

But more importantly to me personally is that Scripture itself indicates that Noah's Flood was local.
I will again point to Rich Deem's excellent article
The Genesis Flood Why the Bible Says It Must be Local
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:33 am From the first link:
Did the flood destroy all people on Earth?

We feel that the answer to this question is a non-negotiable for believers in the inerrancy and inspiration of the Bible (see “The Inerrancy of Scripture”). It is important for Christians to affirm the historicity of the flood, because Jesus affirmed this event. He even went so far as to compare it to his second coming. He said,
That's already been refuted, multiple times.

There are plenty of people who believe in biblical inerrancy, yet don't hold to such a literal and concrete interpretation.

"All people on the earth" can literally mean, all people in the land. Making a literal(but not concrete) interpretation of the text, to mean all the people in the local land, save Noah and his family, were killed.
:yes:
'Land' is actually a more literal interpretation than 'globe' when you look at how erets is used elsewhere in Genesis and you see the geographical locations specified in Gen 2-6.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Was just reading Matthew Henry's take on Psalm 104 - he took the boundary line to mean that this boundary was set after the flood (https://www.biblestudytools.com/comment ... s/104.html).
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Philip wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:39 am Was just reading Matthew Henry's take on Psalm 104 - he took the boundary line to mean that this boundary was set after the flood (https://www.biblestudytools.com/comment ... s/104.html).
Here's a good article by Rich Deem on Psalm 104
Psalm 104:9 - Does it refer to the Original Creation or the Flood?
http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/psalm104.html