Neanderthals - Were they our ancestors?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Neanderthals - Were they our ancestors?

Post by Philip »

???!!!
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Neanderthals - Were they our ancestors?

Post by DBowling »

Philip wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:16 pm???!!!
To understand what Walton is proposing, ask yourself these questions...

Psalm 103:14-16
For he knows how we were made;
he remembers that we are dust.

15 As for mortals, their days are like grass;
they flourish like a flower of the field;
16 for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its place knows it no more.
When David says that we are made/formed/'yetser' from dust, what does David mean?

1 Cor 15:42-49
42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.
When Paul says that we "are of the dust" what does Paul mean?

Ecclesiastes 3:19:20
19 For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity. 20 All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust.
When Solomon says that "all came from dust" what does Solomon mean?

Job 10:8-9
‘Your hands fashioned and made me altogether,
And would You destroy me?
9 ‘Remember now, that You have made me as clay;
And would You turn me into dust again?
When Job asks God if he will "turn him into dust again" what does Job mean?

The question John Walton is asking is... what do Paul, David, Solomon, and Job mean when they refer to all men as being "made from dust"?
(BTW... John Walton is a respected Evangelical Old Testament scholar, and NT Wright actually contributed to Walton's book, The Lost World of Adam and Eve)