We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Post Reply
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7906
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 596 times

We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

#1

Post by Philip » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 am

Hebrews 12:14 tells us: "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord."

But how can I, a continuously sinful man, EVER be Holy???!!!

https://www.gotquestions.org/being-holy.html

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 1030 times

Re: We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

#2

Post by RickD » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:53 am

from the link:
There is a positional holiness that we inherit at regeneration
:amen:
also from the link:
and a practical holiness which we must actively pursue.
How, pray tell, do we do this? Does that mean that following the 10 commandments is how we "actively pursue" holiness?

Do we hole up in a log cabin, and pray 24 hours a day?

Does keeping the sabbath, make us holy?

Anyone?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 282 times

Re: We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

#3

Post by 1over137 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Always good to revisit this topic.
Thanks for a link to article filledcwith many Bible verses.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

User avatar
1over137
Technical Admin
Posts: 5165
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Slovakia
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 282 times

Re: We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

#4

Post by 1over137 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Rick, I believe this are yout answers from that link.

Cultivating a lifestyle of holiness does not mean that we must draft a list of do’s and don’ts to live by. We are free from the letter of the law which kills (2 Corinthians 3:6) and now live according to the dictates of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:16-18).
---

When we yield to the Spirit, we become fruit-bearing Christians, yielding a harvest with which God is well pleased (Galatians 5:22-23). On the other hand, when we suppress the work of the Holy Spirit by rebelling against His will for us, we stifle the design of God, sabotage our own spiritual growth, and grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30).
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart

DBowling
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:23 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 130 times

Re: We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

#5

Post by DBowling » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Philip wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 am
Hebrews 12:14 tells us: "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord."

But how can I, a continuously sinful man, EVER be Holy???!!!
Some thoughts...

I think Hebrews gives us some insight a couple of chapters earlier.

Hebrews 10:10
And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:14
For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

These two verses tell us two things
- We have been made perfect/holy through the sacrifice of Christ. We have been made holy due to the work of Christ, not because of anything we can do.

- However, Hebrews 10:14 tell us that those who 'have been made holy' through the work of Christ are also 'being made holy' as we trust in Jesus and are transformed to his likeness.

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 1030 times

Re: We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

#6

Post by RickD » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 pm

1over137 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:27 pm
Rick, I believe this are yout answers from that link.

Cultivating a lifestyle of holiness does not mean that we must draft a list of do’s and don’ts to live by. We are free from the letter of the law which kills (2 Corinthians 3:6) and now live according to the dictates of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:16-18).
---

When we yield to the Spirit, we become fruit-bearing Christians, yielding a harvest with which God is well pleased (Galatians 5:22-23). On the other hand, when we suppress the work of the Holy Spirit by rebelling against His will for us, we stifle the design of God, sabotage our own spiritual growth, and grieve the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:30).
Hana,

My point is that the gotquestions article seems vague at best.

What exactly does "yield to the Spirit" mean?

How does one "rebel against His will for us"?

The article is saying that we must "pursue a practical holiness".

If our trusting in Christ's work makes us holy, then how does anything we do, make or keep us holy?

It's Christ's work, not ours.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7906
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 596 times

Re: We MUST be Holy! Did you know that?

#7

Post by Philip » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Rick: It's Christ's work, not ours.
Absolutely. We have ZERO ability to do so. Ad unholy mortals can in no way make themselves holy!

Post Reply