Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

Post by Stu »

Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

If you're unaware of what MTG is, look here.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is Playing 'Magic: The Gathering' Sinful?

Post by RickD »

If you're going to play an "evil" game, why not play Pokémon Go? At least you can get some exercise.

I used to think it was a waste of time, until I went to a park with my son who plays. I noticed probably dozens, maybe a hundred people walking around, playing. If not for exercise from Pokémon Go, most of these fat people probably wouldn't be getting any exercise at all.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:09 am If you're going to play an "evil" game, why not play Pokémon Go? At least you can get some exercise.

I used to think it was a waste of time, until I went to a park with my son who plays. I noticed probably dozens, maybe a hundred people walking around, playing. If not for exercise from Pokémon Go, most of these fat people probably wouldn't be getting any exercise at all.
Nah I like the feel of the cards in your hand. Old school gaming. I get enough electronic gaming, so want something different.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 am
RickD wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:09 am If you're going to play an "evil" game, why not play Pokémon Go? At least you can get some exercise.

Nah I like the feel of the cards in your hand. Old school gaming. I get enough electronic gaming, so want something different.
In that case, I recommend you stick to UNO. Just don't make the mistake that I made, by playing UNO with a bunch of Mexicans. They kept stealing all the green cards.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Stu wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.
BUT my question is, is it sinful to take part in a game where there is magic, spells, etc. involved?

Obviously I don't buy into any of the ideas and treat it merely as a game kinda like watching a Lord of the Rings, Superman or Star Wars movie, or playing TV games that have a magic theme to them I guess.

Thoughts?

I've heard about this a decade ago while I saw an ad for it in my Sorry boardgame. Still have it too but aint played it in years.
If you see MTG in that way, then I would assume it's ok, as your not getting into it too much. Are there any legit occult practices in it? I don't think there is.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Stu wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am Let's face it, 'Magic: The Gathering' is the best card game out there atm, so I was thinking of getting involved.

Thoughts?

I've heard about this a decade ago while I saw an ad for it in my Sorry boardgame. Still have it too but aint played it in years.
If you see MTG in that way, then I would assume it's ok, as your not getting into it too much. Are there any legit occult practices in it? I don't think there is.
Not sure actually, I know there are spells.

But anyway, I've decided against it, I don't think the Lord would want us surrounding ourselves with darkness, especially if you get very involved and play on a constant basis. I actually like card collecting though, so it will save me a ton of money as I wouldn't be able to resist just one more booster pack or even box :). Magic eats up money this way, so will be saving in the long run.

I'll stick with playing cards for poker, etc. and board games.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 am

Thoughts?

But anyway, I've decided against it, I don't think the Lord would want us surrounding ourselves with darkness, especially if you get very involved and play on a constant basis. I actually like card collecting though, so it will save me a ton of money as I wouldn't be able to resist just one more booster pack or even box :). Magic eats up money this way, so will be saving in the long run.

I agree. Stay away from the darkness of the magic card games, and stick to gambling in poker.

:lol:

-Edward R Murrow

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:54 am
Stu wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:59 am

Thoughts?

I agree. Stay away from the darkness of the magic card games, and stick to gambling in poker.

:lol:
Hey at least I'm not casting spells and summoning creatures! And am instead playing for pretend money in poker. Maybe I should play a game for real money just to see how it goes.

On a serious note though, what does the Bible say about gambling for real money?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote:
Hey at least I'm not casting spells and summoning creatures! And am instead playing for pretend money in poker. Maybe I should play a game for real money just to see how it goes.

On a serious note though, what does the Bible say about gambling for real money?
I'm not aware of anything in the Bible about that type of gambling. My opinion would be that it's left up to the individual believer, and his/her conscience.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Many people gambling desire quick money without truly working for it - is that good? Is that something we should desire? And many gamblers are willing to risk money they really can't afford to lose to make hoped-for easy money. And many of them are risking - and often foolishly losing - money that is needed to take care of their kids and families. And when they WIN? Often the same thing is happening to the ones who have lost to produce their win - as it's made others lose money they and their families needed. Of course, we can't overlook the addiction of gambling, going into debt, etc. Basically, it's throwing away precious money that is being risked with, typically, low odds of winning. But wherever there are winners, the habit produces losers. I can't see that a Christian can see this as a endeavor they should be involved in. Now, a friendly wager for low stakes, a raffle or whatever - when a person knows they will likely lose and it's no big deal and not habitual - guess that can be different.
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

Gambling with money is a very bad idea from the Christian viewpoint, it's the opposite of being a wise steward. I'd argue that Magic: The Gathering is less harmful because money isn't involved, but I wouldn't feel good about playing Magic either.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

claysmithr wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 am Gambling with money is a very bad idea from the Christian viewpoint, it's the opposite of being a wise steward. I'd argue that Magic: The Gathering is less harmful because money isn't involved, but I wouldn't feel good about playing Magic either.
So, from a Christian viewpoint, 401k accounts, other retirement accounts, buying real estate, etc., are very bad ideas?

What about the poker player who is very good at what he does? The one who can make a good living by being good at poker?

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: So, from a Christian viewpoint, 401k accounts, other retirement accounts, buying real estate, etc., are very bad ideas?
NO - because these are sensible investments with a long track record of the investment paying off and being generally safe. No, no investment is totally safe. But a farmer can plant his crops and get wiped out by drought - all professions have risk.
Rick: What about the poker player who is very good at what he does? The one who can make a good living by being good at poker?
The poker player can have a dangerous addiction and can suffer constant losses that end up in debt and hurting his family, and his ability to contribute toward them with the potential for constant losses that pile up. When he is successful, he often is taking money from those who shouldn't have been risking it to begin with, and that likewise are hurting themselves and their families as they often are gambling money that is needed elsewhere. It's also a habit that triggers the pleasure and excitement centers of the brain, making one impulsive in taking large risks in the excitement of the moment - as opposed to hopefully well-thought-out investments that have far less risk. It's an endeavor of pure risk - not a calculated one based upon business transactions that are constantly enriching and employing others in the industry one has made transactions in it. One may win at the expense of many losing. It's really indefensible except on a very simple, fun scale - penny poker, raffles, etc.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Thoughts?

You have to contend with scripture on this

Eph 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.
Eph 5:12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. NKJV

Eph 5:9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),
Eph 5:10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. NKJV

2Co 6:14,15 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? NKJV

I would be wise not to even start this. This how is certain kind of folks recruit people. It is no innocent game.

Tarot cards are just cards - right?

Just a warning...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:50 am
claysmithr wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:38 am Gambling with money is a very bad idea from the Christian viewpoint, it's the opposite of being a wise steward. I'd argue that Magic: The Gathering is less harmful because money isn't involved, but I wouldn't feel good about playing Magic either.
So, from a Christian viewpoint, 401k accounts, other retirement accounts, buying real estate, etc., are very bad ideas?

What about the poker player who is very good at what he does? The one who can make a good living by being good at poker?
No, and I'm not even sure how you are comparing the two. For a lot of folks, gambling is a sin. 401k and real estate are good investments. Also, just because you can make a living off something doesn't make it right.